Featured If You're Never Going To Go Electric Raise Your Hand!

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Ginkgo, Feb 11, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I've doubled the range now, bought her an extension cable.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Graeme_D

Graeme_D Active Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Edinburgh
    Now, I won't argue against what you've said, because for the most part you're correct. Electric (or other alternative fuel) is the way we are going, and that's fine. What I'm going to do is provide counterpoints to some of what you said, mostly based on human emotion, because it is an important aspect to how we choose to do what we do.

1. Electric bikes are still in its infancy. We're in the 'fat Motorola brick-phone' phase of electric motorcycles. Give it time. The prices, range, charge time and choice will get much, much better.

Can't argue much with this. Moving on.

2. You really gonna turn down what WILL eventually run rings around ANY current bike because of a lack of sound and some vibration??

If we were sensible, we'd all be riding around on bikes powered by the same engine configuration (or scooters for commuting). As it is, people favour different configurations because of the whole experience. A particular manufactuer's V-twin (H-D) might not be as smooth or anywhere near as fast as an inline 4, but by jove they love the feel and sound of them. In fact, the company pretty much runs on the 'experience' of said lumpy grunty engine! Human emotion plays a huge part in this. Same with cars, in that people love the aural pleasure of a burbling V8 and screaming V12, or just the way these things make us feel.

3. I had a go on the Livewire at Millbrook some years ago when HD did their tour. I had no expectations or preconceptions... it was freaking amazing... even back then.

Won't argue this, as it's personal experience.

4. Ignore lack of range, charging time etc... like I said it's still not there (which is why there's little choice from manufacturers who rightly don't want to come to market until their product is right), but to me the Livewire was an absolute revelation.

Again, can't argue here as it's mostly correct, as again the tech is in it's infancy. However using 'ignore the negatives' as an argument is not much of an argument.

5. I suspect many nay-sayers have never tried a full-fat electric bike... not all, but most.

Most likely yes. In much the same way as many nay-sayers of H-D's have never ridden a proper H-D. I've ridden neither, and won't say either is 'bad', more that at the moment neither is my cup of tea (expensive tea!) and so there's no point in trying one. Yet.

6. The acceleration is astounding.

I've been in a tesla, and yes it had rapid acceleration, but it was soul-less. Didn't stir me at all unfortunately. Many people complain about Honda motorcycles for this very reason. They do everything you want them to and they're amazing, but it's a bit sterile with no drama.

7. They're virtually maintenance-free.

Yes, the day to day running is pretty maintenance free, but when it does go wrong, it's a very expensive fix! For example, if the battery pack fails, it needs replaced as a whole, there's no going in and replacing individual cells.

8. There will be a day, not far away, when electric bikes WAY outperform ICE bikes, charge as quickly as a petrol fill-up and are MUCH cheaper to manufacture too.... and will thus be cheaper.

This will require a new form of battery technology (I've heard there's some interesting progress with another battery material which may be plausible) to develop, as lithium Ion batteries are about as energy dense as they can get without being a liability, and they are heavy, so we need a lightweight material as well as better energy density. Charging quicker comes with the danger of overheating the battery pack, so again requires a the new battery technology. The question then is will current battery packs still be manufactured to a degree sufficient to replace faulty packs or can they be interchangable?

9. It WILL happen.

Yes, it will. For those who enjoy riding for the experience a ICE bike gives, this will be sad day. For many it will be a change that just is and life will move on.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    ICE for me any day of the week, it will be a long time before electric motorcycles are on a par with modern superbikes, take my sons Ducati Panigale 1299s, with the full Akro Titanium exhaust and other mods it is running at 220 BHP, it weighs less that my STRS 765 and hit just shy of 200 mph on the dyno, I don't see an electric motorcycle weighing around that, nor performing anything like it, the cost alone is prohibitive for many, I am only talking electric V ICE here, the Panigale sound is amazing, my 2 sons and I or of the same opinion, we would rather not bother riding again than go electric, I have tried an electric vehicle as a loan vehicle, I tried it a short distance and swiftly gave it back. The idea of free charging or low running costs is laughable, you don't just plug it into a 240v socket, it costs to install the charging system, and those with smart meters will have readings taken up to 30 times daily, with utility companies charging more (no pun intended) during the day time and peak periods, a number of utility companies are proposing to "buy back" electricity from vehicles resulting in draining a car/bikes charge (what half baked idea is that), I wrote a post about this a while back. What would make more sense is developing Hydrogen vehicles (Yamaha have collaborated with one car manufacturer already). Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. STIFFLER

STIFFLER Senior Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Shropshire
    2. You really gonna turn down what WILL eventually run rings around ANY current bike because of a lack of sound and some vibration??

IMHO ...yes

I`ve ridden electric bikes a while back & yes they were startling performers(Vectrix thingies) but ya can`t beat noise or vibes the wife says of ICE bikes:)

We all gob off but one day if you want transport its electric or back to "shanks`s pony" as my grandad used to say.

Electric vehicles..owned by, run by, fixed by ... I.T blokes:mad:
    Petrol engines run by proper enthusiasts & normal people with dirty hands:)

At least we can use the I.T trick of re-boot power off power on & it`l be fine instead of ripping pistons out of it:scream:

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    #125 Octoberon, Feb 27, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    I think you're confusing IT people with electrical engineers. I can assure you I will not make a good job of fixing your electric bike. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    How many electric motorcycles are capable of completing 6 laps of the TT course (none), they would be pitting every lap to change a battery (when they eventually come to manufacturing them), it's absolute fantasy to think it will happen anytime soon, the sheer weight of the things would make six laps extremely physically draining, competing 2 races a day would be almost impossible for most riders, and don't even get me started on the effect it would have for sidecar competitors, and yes personally I would 100% give up riding if all there was available was electric motorcycles, and I am far from being a "luddite" by any means, I am glad I have experienced the "glory days of the sixties" riding what we liked when we liked, ride safe from an ageing Rocker.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The weight of battery powered sports bikes is up with the big superbikes of the late 80's, GSXR1100's, FZR1000's etc which ran in the 1300cc production class. The race was axed for many years after the tragic deaths in the 1989 race when many of the riders were saying the bikes were unrideable for six laps. Apparently, tyres and suspension were overheating due to the weight and power of the big machines. Tyre and suspension tech has come a long way since then but the heavier the machine the more physically demanding it is to ride on or close to the limit. You can't escape physics.

8. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

Bottom line, when motorcycles look like this, I don't give a f**k what they're running on, I'm getting one. I don't care if they're dogshit-fueled or powered by hamsters running on exercise wheels.

Until then, ICE's all day long.

scout-trooper-speederbike-endor-wallpaper-preview.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I doubt that's their logic. Probably more to do with the unachievable goal of moving away from ICE machines in the timescales currently being envisaged. Having a non-fossil fuel could take a lot of the pressure off deadlines for moving rapidly to electric, hydrogen or whatever.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I watched a few MotoE races, even with our Brad Smith in the running I couldn't raise any enthusiasm for the series.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I haven't watched any, either. Maybe I'll see what's going on this season. I understand the apathy towards it, but then again, people race pushbikes around velodromes and no one complains about the lack of noise from them.

14. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    The excess weight was very obvious just watching on tv, perhaps Ducati's involvement will move things on a bit.
    (but my experience of Ducati and electronics was not good :joy:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. triumph900

triumph900 Active Member

Dec 24, 2017
    US
    Where's Lucas when you need them...?

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Ah the Prince of Darkness

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I agree Pegscraper, the 2019 Mugen raced at the TT, has a carbon fibre frame and swing arm to make it lighter, along with other trick parts, it cost reputedly any eye watering £1Million, and even then it all adds up to a weight of 248 kg, 6 laps of say the Senior TT, gosh they will be carrying riders off on stretchers due to fatigue

• Like Like x 1
  18. Erling

Erling Elite Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Norway
    The government in my country certainly has a fondness for electric motorbikes. This week they announced that they will award me with 25.000 NOK, app. 2.200 UKP, if I buy one.

19. Graeme_D

Graeme_D Active Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Edinburgh
    That's pretty good.
    Last I heard, our government were reducing/taking away all grants for electric vehicles.