Featured If You're Never Going To Go Electric Raise Your Hand!

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Ginkgo, Feb 11, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ginkgo

Ginkgo Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2020
    Overland Park, KS
    Gotta say, all this blather about electrics is just depressing! The factories and tech writers can say what they want, and offer what they want, but I'm not buying it. In fact, the record so far shows the riding public in general isn't either, witness Harley's spin-off of the Live Wire mistake, and other factory's generally slow movement towards...what exactly? Another flop and spin-off? Maybe they're hoping for the big break in battery tech that will enable a bike with boundless power and incredible range? Still, even if that day comes, who wants to ride a bike that murmurs a little gear whine? Remember how as kids we would clip baseball or football cards to the fender stays of our bicycles to make them sound like motors? Do you want to do that again? It's said that every action begets an equal and opposite reaction. We have not yet seen the reaction. I think "migration" to electric drive will become the next polarizing political issue, and woe to those politicos who hold onto the promise of an electric future. For good or ill, boys and girls, I want gasoline! And no one is taking away my Bonnie.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I have some empathy with your feelings towards electric bikes (and cars). However I fear that all governments will force the move from ICE motors. Hopefully it will not happen until it won’t matter for me.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2020
    UK
    Each to their own. I just see it as a progression of the motorbike. They've got 2 wheels, boundless torque (ok slight exaggeration) and sounds(!) like they can be great fun to ride. Drawback has to be range. I'd be happy with one if the range on tour could exceed 150 miles per charge and fill up time was around 10 mins. Trouble is you've got to have deep pockets to play at the moment.
    I've never been too concerned about engine noise (in fact it just makes me worry - what's that new noise etc). Exhaust noise, nah, never done it for me outside of the racetrack. It's the braking, cornering and powering out of corners that does it for me, and of course the overtaking ease in this crowded part of the earth I live in. I just hope I live long enough to see practical and reasonable priced ones, correction, I just hope I can still ride when they are around.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    images.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Over priced vs the fun you get = no thanks

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 5.22.27 PM.png

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Well, never say never but over my dead body.
    I see Triumph have released more specs of there upcoming new TE1 electric bike.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news...P&email_hash=92e0e777dee3490fc8427e978d8f7444

173bhp and 220kgs is not to be sniffed at. An almost reasonable recharge time but 120 mile range?
    Nothing like good enough and is that 120 miles using all the power or 120 miles of commuting? A favourite, short evening Summer run of mine on the Z is to Cleethorpes and back on the old road, some 145 miles so that's out then, let alone day trips to Scotland!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Electric Bikes with that limited a range will fail to meet Australian conditions , in the Country where towns are an average 40/50 miles apart !

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Same thing here in the western USA. It seems like eventually there will be electric bikes in cities and ICE bikes in thinly populated areas.

Electric cars? They are going to be everywhere. Lucid has a car with a 500 mile range, and if they can do it in five years all the other auto manufacturers will too.

Electric bikes tho…. it will be a long time until there is an electrIc bike that will go 500 miles on one charge.

As for raising my hand, I love ICE. But would consider getting an electric motorbike someday, except I’m 61 and don’t anticipate there will one that suits me before I have to stop riding.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  10. MARKYMARKTHREE

MARKYMARKTHREE Senior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
    "Hände hoch!"
    It wont be happening in this household.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Neal H

Neal H Active Member

Mar 7, 2021
    England
    Never say never. I don’t think battery tech is quite there yet for bikes, but in 10 years time it probably will be. For now, it’s petrol power for me!

• Like Like x 2
  12. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Think i'll keep my ice bikes and have a beef sandwich. :D:yum

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    As Neal H says, never say never but I really can't see me having one. Being a fan of sweet sounding engines since I was a kid there is no interest in a whining washing machine motor.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Electric bikes, count me out, too old to change my ways now .
    As for battery life, well I'm sure that as the battery ages the mileage will drop too coz rechargeable batteries do slowly deteriate so you could end up getting stuck. Also new batteries would cost a fortune , I saw an article the other day of a guy who bought a 2nd hand Mercedes which was worth £12500, the battery failed and he was quoted £15000 to replace it.
    Do electric bikes have manual gears as I believe electric cars do not, that would take the fun out of it too.
    Never mind the lack of soulful noise.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  15. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    For all the reasons covered above, cost, range and my age, I'm sure those we pass the baton onto will look back at us like we looked back at carbide lamps, leather belt drive and advance retard levers and wondered how we managed to get anywhere...
    I'm going to be consigned to history alongside my petrol driven motorcycle but knowing I lived through a golden age.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

And my guns, bacon, moonshine, muscle car, and big block V8 engined pick-up truck.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    + 1 ,Never say never, but for now I'm sticking with my ICE engined vehicles.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I'd have one if it appealed enough as a bike that I enjoyed riding (speed, handling) and looked good. It probably wouldn't be my only bike so putting all my eggs in one limited range basket wouldn't be an issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. L0rdelpuz

L0rdelpuz Member

Feb 1, 2022
    Uk
    I wonder when factories will stop building ICE cars bikes. Is t it supposed to be in 8yrs you won't be able to buy them new. I don't see that happening. I see a last min U-turn.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Personally I'm looking forward to seeing how the TT Zero goes this year. The speeds three years ago were amazing so with the development since then it will be interesting to see how much closer they can get to the Superbikes. Albeit over one lap not six.

The way things have moved forward with electric cars in the last 10 years has been amazing to watch (from the sidelines - I've never been an early adopter) and bikes, with their lower volumes and more niche market were always going to lag behind. But the trickle down of technology will happen and if one suits my needs when they become suitable and a more sensible price then yes, I'd buy one.

I've just bought an electric assist bicycle and it's an absolute hoot to ride. I would never have considered one a few years ago but the spec now is way better and way more reliable. So, never say never on the motorcycle front for me.

• Like Like x 3