Thruxton I Hate My New Thruxton R

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Pierre Lawrence, Aug 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Greywolf55

Greywolf55 Noble Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Duluth ,Ga
    I put on Apex 3 axis adjustable clip ons to take the wrist pressure off , and a set of Copperfit gloves solved the numb hands. After 50 years of Riding I've found for me all bikes need a few tweeks to get them comfy for you.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Bryn

Bryn Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2020
    Croft, Leicestershire
    A few years back I bought a gorgeous looking R1100S ...with bar risers already fitted.... left on the 120 mile journey home, and within 10 minutes realised it wasn’t for me.. killed my wrists and back..sold it for the same money I paid just 4 days later... the shortest time I ever owned a bike.. lovely paint job though 2FD0084D-34BA-4C2B-8416-04DAD8640F6E.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  3. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    I loved the retro hipster looks and 60s style of mine and the Bonny I owned before but hated riding the thrux so much it was doing me in after 60 miles hated it so much it was sold and I bought a 955i tiger it does not have the looks but it has the comfort.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I agree with @Ken walburn the TTr is not the right bike for commuting into London. I love mine and don’t find it that uncomfortable, but then I don’t use it for going to w*rk :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Heavymess’in

Aug 9, 2020
    London, UK.
    So Pierre, what happened. Do you still have it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Get a Scrambler 1200XC perfect to see over the dumb arse car drivers, fast enough, eats the crappy London road surfaces, super comfy riding position, change out your front sprocket and get quicker acceleration. Thruxton Smuxton

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    I commute into central London twice a week, and find the riding position fine, the Thruxton copes with slow running stop and start riding admirably, my only issue is the seat comfort, but I may have just resolved that one!
    What I have noticed though is that the bike performs much better when hot, so going into London she behaves impeccably leaving at the end of the day though she does get a little jerky until the blood gets pumping through her veins :) but still not a problem though
    So although clearly not designed for running round inner cities the Thruxton can certainly handle it admirably

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    Clip on’s are never going to be comfortable at low speeds as you need a cushion of air supporting your weight. I would change them for flat bars if most of your trips are low speed ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. sikatri

sikatri Member

May 23, 2019
    Houston
    At this point as others noted, mod the handle bars to fit your need.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Daveweld

Daveweld Active Member

Aug 2, 2020
    UK
    Why not go test ride several more Triumphs and find out what is best for you. Then you can adapt your own bike to suit or make the decision to part exchange it back in for what does suit you ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Pierre Lawerence.
    Just spotted your post. And i have said it over and over here in the family. Test the bikes not a jaunt up and down the road. You need a couple of hours at the very least riding like you intend to do on the bike or you are just fooling your self. You can change bars and bits to make the bike user friendly to suit your needs. But really you should just have tested the Bonnie standard level. Or tiger. Welcome to the family by the way.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Spot on, Joe. Funnily enough I find the TTR absolutely fine in London traffic. However, I tested it for 2-3 hours before buying and made absolutely sure that stop/starting in traffic, filtering etc was all good, as well as taking it out on some twisties. Ergonomics are a very personal thing, and the OP has seen first hand what happens if you're not careful before commiting your hard earned.

• Like Like x 2
  14. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Learingtofly
    And that's the way to do it. You really got to know what a bike will do for you and if it is suited to your personal tastes. When i had my Bonneville i had it out all morning and did exactly like yourself and loved it. Of course like i say you can adapt any bike to suit your need but you have to spend money that is non refundable or regainable when you sell or trade. But we live we learn.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I suspect it's a moot point now as the original post was over 2 years ago and the poster hasn't been on the forum since his OP : unamused:

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    He could still be trying to get off of the bike ;):)as his joints are all locked up in pain!?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes but the topic came up and i thought it might serve someone else buying without a proper test.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  18. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Went out today and finally sat on a Thruxton R in a shop near me. It had the cafe race kit fairing etc. Its the first one I have seen in the flesh I just loved it one of the most beautiful bikes I have ever seen.
    Anyway I sat on it and I found it seriously uncomfortable.
    Thankfully the inquisitive me decided to google and found a video that tells you how to swap out the clip ons the chap happened to mention the standard R has standard clips ons so my dream is still alive especially since reading this thread. Next stop to find one near me with standard clip ons. Just to check I wasnt getting old I also sat on separate sports bikes and they were more comfy than the R with lower clip ons, quite surprised at how brutal the thruxton is

• Like Like x 2
  19. Sullivs

Sullivs Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2020
    Weldon Spring, Missouri, USA
    I think fitting standard bars from a Street Twin or Bonneville are some of the most common changes I've seen on the Thruxtons. You can still have a lot of fun with it. However, as a few have already mentioned, every bike seems to fit people differently... you have to find the right combination of footpeg-seat-handlebar triangle that fits just you.

Good luck,

• Like Like x 1
  20. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Thanks makes me wonder how we used to cope pre internet days. Cautiously optimistic standard will be better without any further changes needed. I’m marginally over 6ft makes me wonder what Triumphs target audience was height wise.

• Agree Agree x 1