Help for users of Garmin sat navs

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dougie D, Sep 25, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    when you say downloads do you mean downloading from a different site into myroute? I'm not sure about that as any routes i have made up have been using the myroute .Although i have just got the ride guide to Europe and it says you can download any route in the magazine into basecamp it seems you can only download straight onto myroute with Tom Tom?..i will have to give it a try..the web site is www.ride.co.uk/Europe2
    P1020581_edited-1.jpg

2. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    No, I was asking can I download one of your gpx files from MyRoute-App on to my pc? It looks like you have to pay up for Gold membership to do that.

3. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    This is the way i do it,i can't remember now if i was able to do it before becoming a gold member :oops:
    if you want to copy any of the routes from anyone just click on groups, triumph forum, members, then click on any member then click on routes and their saved routes will come up.. pick one to look at then if you want to copy it click on "use route"

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i uploaded a route from the "RIDE" web site onto my computer but although it says it's a gpx file it is in a zip file so myroute can't import it,i know it says to use basecamp to open the zip file,but i'm just wondering if there is another EASY way to do this?
    http://www.ride.co.uk/europe2 lots of routes in here!

5. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    If it's in a zip you need to extract it first into a folder on your PC. You can then import the gpx file in to BaseCamp (or MyRoute)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Thanks Col i wasn't sure on how to extract (I'm not too clued up with computers!),but i discovered you just right click then click on extract!! easy peasy :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    So, went to the NEC bike show on Monday, bent the ear of one of the Triumph reps there, suggested they provide a download of all their dealers as a gpx file so that owners can load them onto their sat-navs as POI's (useful when away touring).
    What a good idea says the man, "hope you don't mind me taking the credit for it" as he makes a note on some paper. (will it go straight in the bin as soon as my back's turned, I wonder :rolleyes:)
    Anyway, if you're off to the show make the same suggestion, the more they hear it the better the chance of it actually happening.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i think this will only apply if you are a paid up member..you can now make up routes on the myroute-app with either Google maps,Tom Tom gold and they have now added Here/Garmin gold:),
    All my previous routes were done using the Google maps but i decided to convert a route from google maps to Here/Garmin gold, but a word of warning if you do this you have to check all your way points as some of them might not be exactly where you placed them and could result in problems,this only happens if you are converting from google to Garmin maps or vice versa.
    Although recently i havn't had any problems using Google maps i now use the Garmin maps for creating routes as i'm guesing my sat nav will be more compatable with it:)

9. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Personally the myroute-app doesn't really work for me, so being a tight arse no point in being a paid up member..
    IMO Basecamp is always going to be the best tool for Garmin users to create their routes on (as a stand alone user), then the only issue when sharing a route with another user is that the settings would need to be the same for both users (i.e. if creating a route while set to "shortest" and then 2nd user has set to "fastest" then route might change between waypoints).
    It's a shame the forum doesn't allow uploading of .gpx files, it would then be easy to just share routes within the forum without the need for a third party app.
    I assume the Myroute-app is Tomtom derived, so Tomtom users are obviously going to have a different perspective.
    There is always going to be issues sharing routes between Garmin and Tomtom primarily because they're using different map sets. (and settings)

10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    My route app allows you to save a route in a mutitude of formats also directly to Garmin and tomtom if you have the Gold version. You can view friends tracks, or anyones who has made them public, and save them as routes then modify them to your requirements. Its pretty versatile once you have got the hang of it

• Like Like x 2
  11. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Stop using Tyre and go onto myroute-app.Com.

Never could understand tyre, tried it once years ago, gave up.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Tyre works fine for me with my TomTom. I use it to create gpx files which load up as tracks perfectly. Rather like the way Trye uses the familiar Google Maps and the way you can drag the route as many times as you like to get it passing the places or along the roads you want it to.

13. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    See my comments a few posts above (no point in repeating them), I tried some time ago and just re-tried to upload a .gpx file directly to this forum and it's still not an allowed format.... which is a shame. Don't see why as the files need not be any bigger than posting a photo.
    ....But I may have found a work-around, I've just put one of my old holiday routes into a zip file and the forum seems to have accepted that ok for uploading. If you load the extracted gpx file into BaseCamp (or MapSource) Garmin users should see a series of day by day routes, ......whether it loads into TomTom ok is another matter!
    I get the impression that Garmin routes need far fewer waypoints to be reliably used/shared amongst other Garmin users than is necessary with TomTom?

Attached Files:

14. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Who's Tucker? Just added you to the myroute-app group. :cool:

15. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Job to tell from the view you've posted, any that are used in routes that you want to keep should NOT be deleted.
    I usually set up a list or folder in the collection panel to separate my various projects (eg " hol2019, hol2020 etc) which helps to keep things tidy / easy to find/follow.
    You should find a filter at the bottom of the panel which shows or hides the various types of data - waypoints - routes - tracks etc.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Well done :)
    It's not rocket science once you get the hang of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1