Help for users of Garmin sat navs

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dougie D, Sep 25, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i made up some routes on myroute-app and thought i would try one out today,the first half of the route was fine then it got confused! it was sending me back the way I'd just came o_O so found this bit of advice for Garmin users on the myroute site it might be of help to new users,I've reinstalled the route in my sat nav the way they are suggesting so hopefully it will work now. one thing i discovered you have to be really accurate when placing your waymarks as for example if it's a dual carriageway you have to zoom in and make sure you click on the correct direction your travelling :rolleyes: If anyone else has any more tips for using myroute-app and Garmin please share:):):)

It seems that Garmin sometimes has difficulties with calculating GPX routes in which only soft route points have been placed.

This problem does not only appear when using MyRoute-app connector, this can also happen if you want do copy a GPX file of your choice straight off the internet onto your Garmin.

Try the following:

Create the route using the Here map in MyRoute-app and make sure route points are properly placed on the streets.

Don’t put the beginning point and the ending point too close to each other.

In the connector, choose Garmin new (GPX 1.1).

Open the route in the 'Travel planner' as soon as you have GPS signal.

Check the settings to verify that the navigation mode is not set as 'Off-road'.

If your Garmin can navigate through a track, this should be the preference.

For the newer Garmins, this works as follows:

Check 'Settings' > 'Navigation' > to verify that recalculating is off.

Go to 'Apps'.

Choose 'Tracks'.

Select the 'track' of your choice.

Click on the 'wrench' on the top left.

Check 'Show on map'.

Now, check 'Convert to trip'.

Choose 'Beginning to end'.

You can now modify the name if you wish to.

Click on 'OK' below on the right side.

Garmin will calculate the route and save it in the 'Travel planner'.

Go to 'Apps' and then to 'Travel planner'.

Select the converted track and then click on 'Go!'.

Select 'Start' in the following screen.

Garmin will now calculate the route.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Didn't know I could even convert tracks to routes!, thanks.

Click onto Where To?

Then you have a selection - go home, address, etc
    If you select Personalise you can go in and find a selection called Towns.
    This is the same as city centre on Tom Tom.
    Why this is not already an option from first place is beyond me!!!

My wee hint for today.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

My next one is for when you miss a way point because it was on the wrong side of the road, or you wish to restart a route half way along.
    Add skip button to map screen.

Go to settings
    Map and vehicle,
    Scroll down to Map buttons,
    Press on + sign,
    Scroll to bottom and add SKIP.

Only downside is all way points are removed, but the route is still programmed. And you get distance to end, not distance to next way point displayed.

Anybody know how to get them back?

4. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i had the beginning and end point pretty close so that might have been a problem.they say don't put them too close together,not sure what they mean by that ..1/4 mile or 5 mile??,i have been given a months free trial of the gold membership,quite handy as you can just export the route straight into the garmin (once you have installed the myroute connector) and also you can share routes with friends, another thing you can do is once you have made up your route if you want to add another waypoint you just put the cursor over a point in the route and move it to where you want to go (not sure if you can do this with the basic membership) there must be other things you can do by having the gold membership but i didn't really investigate what i could and couldn't do when i had the basic membership

5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I have gold and use sygic, at the mo as I haven't got my garmin out the box yet, missing waypoints was always a problem as I hadn't put them accurately. I can go into the route and delete the rogue waypoint. It's a bit fiddly but do-able.
    Don't you hate it when you've converted a track to a route and you're following it and you come across a detour and your waypoint is in the middle of the closed road!!
    Have you noticed on my route app, how people put pictures of their lovely expensive bike . Start their tracks from home and don't put a little sign up saying knick me I'm here?? I never start a track from home.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Started a group on myroute-app - called Triumph Forum, invited you in Dougie D.

Instead of going in and deleting, you can use the skip function on the Garmin (if you take it out of the box;))

I store all my routes on a SD card in the unit, that way if you have to delete points on route, when home you can delete the modified route and just load up the original. Had to do this the other week when they had closed a road, and my waypoint was on that road

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    When i go in to map buttons it just shows me a map of my home town and at the top of the screen it says Cancel,reset to defaults or save..there seems to be 2 x signs? one on the speaker and the other is an x on a x in a circle??

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    when i made up my routes i set it to private, I've now changed it to friends as the default setting seems to be publc which i wasn't keen on for the reason you say

• Like Like x 1
  9. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I think mine default to private now, to share tracks you have to make them public

10. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    or you can set it to friends which the general public still can't see..mind you i might just change my starting point from home to somewhere else just to be on the safe side

• Like Like x 1
  11. 12AX7

12AX7 New Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Wokingham
    Something I've found on my Zumo:
    Settings->Device->Clear Travel History
    doesn't actually clear the tracks from the device.

They don't show up in the Track 'app' on the device's GUI after doing Clear Travel History.

But if you plug the device into a PC and stoke up BaseCamp, all the tracks are still there, including all the (cough) speeds you'v been doing. Don't know if such info can be used to make a case in court, or used in insurance disputes...

I've moaned to Garmin about this, and the 'solution' they offered was that I should do a device reset. Which removes all the settings, favourites etc. Not a solution at all IMHO.

12. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i don't use basecamp,i found it too confusing for my old brain,it does look as if it has a lot of great features though,showing speeds you've done is not one of them though o_O

13. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i'm not sure what the differance between track and route is? when i make a route up and transfer it to my garmin it automattically puts it in routes and tracks but they say for it to work you have to go into tracks and convert it to a route o_O

14. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Couldn't get basecamp to install on my laptop, gave up and just use MyRoute-App.

Set all my routes to friends, except off-road one's - don't want you trying to follow them !!!!!

15. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Don't use tracks, just use import route and use from that. Track is for when you've been somewhere on a ride and then want to store for use at a later time ???

16. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yup! To put it simply.....My Way..... a track follows you live and you follow a recorded route. I find if I go out on a random ride I will set my myrouteapp to track on my phone, once finished I look it up on my pc and convert it to a route and iron out any mistakes double backs etc etc. The prob with tracks is they are not editable, its not really a prob its how it is.

17. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire

18. 12AX7

12AX7 New Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Wokingham
    #18 12AX7, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    If the zumo's Settings->Device->Travel History tick box is ticked, the zumo records a new track for each new journey.

Later, you can turn this track into a 'Trip' to ride the route again, or us it for the 'TracBack' feature to ride back the way you've come. Or you can share it with others using BaseCamp (or maybe some other PC software - I don't know...). All if which are good reasons to allow the zumo to record travel history (aka tracks).

My concern about this isn't that BaseCamp displays this stuff. My concern is that you can't delete it from the zumo itself.

So if you have an unfortunate incident, someone (maybe Mr Plod, maybe someone else) could grab your zumo, and find out your entire travel history. Where you've been, when, how fast, how fast you were travelling just before the incident, where your empty home is while you're recovering from the incident, where you work, which establishments of ill-repute you visit, etc, etc.

Here's a screenshot showing the level of detail the zumo records - a small part of which I've obfuscated :)
    2016-09-26 12_03_32-Garmin BaseCamp.png
    BTW, this shows a track on my zumo, that is supposedly deleted. I can't see it using the device's GUI (the Tracks app). But hey, there's the information, still on my zumo, ready for some curious person with a computer to rummage through...

19. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Here's a screenshot showing the level of detail the zumo records - a small part of which I've obfuscated :)
    View attachment 11448
    BTW, this shows a track on my zumo, that is supposedly deleted. I can't see it using the device's GUI (the Tracks app). But hey, there's the information, still on my zumo, ready for some curious person with a computer to rummage through...[/QUOTE]

interesting, do you know if it's the same with myroute-app? it's like when you delete stuff of your computer you think it's gone but it's still there even although you cant see it..or so i've been told o_O

20. 12AX7

12AX7 New Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Wokingham
    I haven't tried myroute-app...