Gmu 2019 Banter

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MrOrange, Aug 5, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    As crispey said, Hampshire and Surrey are out because they are too expensive, lack the type of accommodation needed and the roads are just too congested, especially at weekends.
    I looked into Dorset last year, as this would be a spectacular location but again, very busy in the summer months. There are several bunkhouses in the county but none are suitable as they are either too small, too expensive, have double rooms (I'm not sure you lot are up for actually sharing beds) or are too remote. Anyone fancy the old RN transmitter station on Portland Bill?
    14.jpg
    Handy fence to keep certain inmates contained! :cool:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

I recall completely different conversations, along the lines of
    :):):) "Look Sprinter, they call me the Iceman and I will not defrost anything untill Zero hour is that fing clear":):):)
    I guess its like Total Recall, well never know what exactly happened, now will we, or will we?

• Funny Funny x 5
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #42 Sprinter, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018

No one did anything they did nt want to, except Mrs Chiari1 who was pounced on and tied to the cooker for most of the day and Andypandy ( Thank you).
    Any way, if you want to organise a proposal, I know, Dougie and Mr Orange will help any way they can, so sketch it in and post it theres almost a year to bring it together. The raw ingredients are simple, Roads Bunkhouse, Hotels, Shops, Parking. then add Rooster or Mr Orange or Dougie. and stir up Dozers Dad with the chuck wagon.Done.
    I mentioned Portsoy, just to fulfil the remit, I do think its a bit of a stretch to expect alot of southern softies to arrive this far North North, though I may be wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Loads of good places and roads in the highlands and above, but too far to ride there and back for most, and I agree with them. A 1000 mile roundtrip would not appeal to me either. GMU is for as many as possible, so a relatively central position would really be ideal.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Sprinter, throw your hat into the ring with your proposal of Portsoy.
    Who knows you may be surprised, peeps may travel up the scenic route stopping in their preferred accommodation enroute as a few did to Dougies Scottish trip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Bunkhouse -

Essential

* 15+ beds
    * Safe area to park bikes (away from prying eyes)
    * Large self catering area to feed approx 30 people (inside or out)
    * Local hotels, B&B's, houses to rent.(walking distance ideally)
    * Nice roads
    * Close enough to you , so that you know the roads and able to test ride for stops and fuel, etc
    * Happy to take large group of bikers / guys (not all are)

Appealing

* Centrally located (not Cornwall or Inverness)
    * Not too much traffic (ie lakes:confounded:)
    * Shop & off-licence within walking distance
    * Petrol Station in village/town
    * Ability to book whole place out for us

Organisers don't need to lead rides, I know some people would not like that. But there are plenty of expierenced ride leaders to do that for you. Sat-navs make that bit easy nowadays. If the being in charge bit is also scary, pass it on. I'll happily help out in any way I can from afar, and on the weekend, as I am sure this years team will too. Or the managing of stuff on the forum. I will help out with that as I did this year, tidying up threads, deleting posts etc.

Feeding the masses is already in hand from our dedicated Logistics & catering team.

I will run Bellingham again this year, if needed to, but ideally we can find at least 3 or more (got 2 so far) venues and then maybe rotate around them in the future?

In my opinion, finding the bunkhouse is the hard part, the rest is not that difficult. I have been looking around my locallity and I am struggling to find one. Good luck.

@littleade @Rooster - anything you can add?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    I think you have nailed the essentials Ron.

It’s very important to inspect any accommodation before it’s proposed and also to ride/Drive the Ride out routes before they are published.

My experience of finding a venue was that Bunkhouses seem to be located out of town and therefor finding one that is suitable for a group our size AND within walking distance of a decent yet affordable hotel narrows your choice considerably.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Feck me I need to get my eyes tested. I wondered why all the funny looks when I mentioned Bellendjam.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Yup, some cracking fast roads of a weekend.

10. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    And absolutely professionally organised it was too. Hat's off to you mate.

11. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    #50 Rich Bryce, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    I'd second the Sail Loft Bunkhouse in Portsoy. Modern, spacious, very well equipped, secure, close enough to local hotels, b&b's, chippy, pubs, sea and Co-op. Sleeps 25 at £23/£24 per night in 6 & 4-bed bunkrooms, plus triple and twin bedrooms and one single.

For a few of us it would mean and overnight stay on the way up and back. I'm up for that, especially doing the East Coast roads again. But I suspect some would be put off. It's worth asking though.

I will try to find time to check out the accommodation Kings Lynn way over the next few weeks or so. But all things considered, right now I'd vote with Ade for Bellingham for 2019. It ticks all the boxes. Ron's already done the hard work. And global warming virtually guarantees a rain-free summer next year.

'By The Way' bunkhouse in Tyndrum where we started our Scotland trip would be ideal too except it seems they are strict on not letting non-residents in to the bunkhouse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Yes Jez, that one. That's why I said us Southern softies would need an overnight on the way up. I did it from Bedford to Dunkeld (Jessie Mac's) near Perth in the pissing rain. Then over the East coast roads. I'd do it again, but suspect it'd put others off the idea.

• Like Like x 1
  13. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That's 583 miles and 10 hours using motorways or 659 miles and 13 hours avoiding them so an overnight stop may be needed!
    By contrast, Bad Bertrich is only 456 miles and 8 hours!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Must admit, very tempting, but makes France look more tempting and with the cost of extra hotels not that more expensive!

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Portsoy would change the GMU from a 3 or 4 day event to more like a 6 or 7 day event. This may well change people’s view on attending? One of the attractions for me is it is a short break which leaves me with options for an international trip as well in the same year.
    Wessa

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Yeah even I think its a non runner, for a GMU
    For future reference, it could be included in a Scottish Tour

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Im easy.......but you know that ;):)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Here's one to prove that the BBC weather map skews most people's idea on the size of the UK and actually how big Scotland really is !!!

Portsoy from here, is the same distance as it took to Llanidloes !!!:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Scotland is a lot bigger than you might think. Took me a 8 hr drive to get to the ferry for Orkney from near Wick. The same as it would take me to get to Exeter !!!

• Like Like x 2
  19. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Sorry, but you get to keep your own scumbags and peado's all to yourself.

We send the worst of them to Peterhead. If you've never been to Peterhead, don't !!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Mark Slattery

Mark Slattery Member

Jul 15, 2018
    Ireland
    Ahh here!!! There's a bit missing

• Funny Funny x 4
  21. Mark Slattery

Mark Slattery Member