Gear Indicator With Abs

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Dave C, Jun 9, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Hi chaps, I'm fancying fitting a gear indicator to my 15 plate Speedy but I've read on a couple of previous threads that it's tricky with the ABS model, which mine is, also having trouble finding one to suit, anyone else fitted one to theirs and where to buy, many thanks, Dave.

2. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Yes unfortunately for abs bikes you need to fit a separate speed sensor on the swingarm.......
    ...At which point I lost interest and count to six instead, going for a 7th gear is the only annoyance of not having a gear indicator anyway IMO (once you've had the bike a while you get a feel for when you've reached top anyway).
    The Healtech GI pro seems to be the indicator of choice, just a shame about the hassle of not being plug&play for abs SpeedIII's.
    Info attached.

Attached Files:

3. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    I agree Col_C, seems all a bit of a ball ache doesn't it, I had a plug n play fitted to my FZ1 and loved it but it all sounds like too much hassle on the ABS Speedy and quite expensive too I imagine, might have to give it a miss.

4. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    For anyone else that may be interested, I've done some research and contacted Healtech, they have a new gear indicator that is plug'n'play to fit the ABS Speed Triple, available from Bikers discount store at £104.99 inc postage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Let us know how you get on with it..... I might be tempted if it's plug n play.:)

6. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    I've not ordered one yet but when I do I'll definitely let you know the outcome.

7. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    ouch that's a pricey bit of kit considered one but not paying that.

8. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Yeah, think I paid around 67 quid for a plug and play for my FZ1, think Healtech are about the only company making one for the ABS version of the speedy at the mo so guess they can name their price.

9. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Ok guys, so I fitted the Healtech gear indicator (see here). It's close but no cigar as yet, it mostly does what it says, the only slight limitation I've noticed is that it seems to require the revs to be above 2000rpm before it "reads" the gear .
    BUT.... I would hold fire before ordering if I was you. I've found on three occasions now (over about a dozen rides and 500 or so miles) that the display has frozen and won't correct itself unless I stop switch off and wait for the display to go off then restart. I'm in contact with the manufacturers and they are aware of the problem and have a firmware update to solve the problem (as yet I don't know if they've recalled stock at their resellers).
    At present they want me to return the unit for update and they will post it back to me, but I'm not happy with that. It's actually quite a big job to thread the connector and cable through to the inside of the frame and run alongside the main wiring loom, which requires tank, airbox, battery and infill trim panel all to be removed and replaced to do the job properly. I've asked them to send me a replacement unit so that I can at least do the removal and replacement in one hit.
    I'll keep you informed as to whether they are cooperative.

10. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    I have to say that I held back because of the price, sounds like not enough testing was done before Healtech released them for sale, good idea to get them to send a replacement so as to make the swap less hassle, hope you get it ironed out asap and light up the cigar as closure.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Update:
    Customer service seems to be good, responding to my emails quickly and positively, they are now going to provide me with an updated unit prior to me returning the existing unit with old firmware. The UK stockist has returned all stock for the firmware update and is currently out of stock until next week when I should be receiving a replacement.

Quote from the manufacturer -
    "We have received a similar report recently. This problem did not occur on our test bikes so it was new to us.
    After investigation, we have discovered that it is caused by strong EMI noise from the ignition coils/spark plugs. However, we managed to solve it via firmware update and it's no longer an issue."

I'll keep you posted.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Latest update:-
    I can confirm the UK stockist (and manufacturer) have good customer service, all emails have been promptly answered and my requests met. I'm confident that the UK stockist has returned earlier firmware units to the manufacturer for update so any new purchases should have the latest firmware (version number is 25212). I've only been for one ride since fitting the updated unit, no problems so far but was an intermittent glitch so will be some time before I can say it's definitely fixed.

Additional information - the unit only reads the speed/revs to get the indicated gear at 2000rpm and above, so there are times when pottering in traffic when it will not show a gear change, it shows a dash (-) until the revs rise above 2000 then shows the gear correctly.
    Running the cable route along the main harness on inside right of frame requires tank, airbox, battery and frame trim panel all to be removed/replaced, this took me about 3 hours.
    I did the calibration with the bike up on an Abba stand, simple and only takes a few minutes, but needs the engine rev'd above 2000 for several seconds in each gear so make sure the bike is secure! To do the calibration on road you'd need a descent stretch uninterrupted.

User Manual

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Very useful info Col-C, I hope the glitch has been sorted with the new firmware, I may hold back for the time being before I buy one.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  14. Paul Hulland

Paul Hulland New Member

Sep 11, 2020
    Burton on trent
    Dave did this work and was it easy to fit

15. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Paul, see my posts #9(+link), 11, 12 above for full details. 2years on and it's still working faultlessly (it is the abs model).

16. Paul Hulland

Paul Hulland New Member

Sep 11, 2020
    Burton on trent
    Thanks Col thanks for the feedback ...have to say we went on a 9 hour run over to Porthmadog on Saturday and apart from a couple of occasions didn't have a problem knowing when I was in 6th !! ...

• Like Like x 1