Forum Favourites - Hangouts & Haunts

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Octoberon, Feb 5, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 10.35.58 PM.png

• Like Like x 5
  2. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Well that's my weekend sorted, then. :joy: I'll make a start on that list later. Thanks, Sandi. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    You're welcome! Always happy to "help". ;):joy: Actually there's no reason you need to feel compelled to add them all. But, as I said, we love each of these places and couldn't seem to narrow it down...much. Yes, there were more. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    If you love ‘em them I’m compelled to add them in. No matter how many hours of toil it entails.

Let me get through this lot before you add any more though.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I've worked through your list places, @Sandi T. Most are now on the map.

Motor Palace Mercantile: Do they sell bikes, along with all the other stuff?
    Serious Texas BBQ: There are two in Durango - one north, one south. Which one did you want me to add?

I found these places and added them but not a post relating to them other than this thread. I tried a few alternative spellings and variations on the full place name:

Moto Sonora - I can only see Motosonora Brewing Co. I assumed that's the place you meant.
    Cafe Rokka ('Roka' according to Google)
    Nicol's West (Nichols West according to Google)
    The Hideaway Grill
    Sparky's
    The Holler

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  6. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    You are on it, @Octoberon! You're a good researcher. :grinning:And thanks for correcting some of my misnaming and misspelling errors.

Answers to your questions...

The Motor Palace Mercantile doesn't sell motorcycles but does sell some motorcycle-related items like Schott jackets (probably the most expensive thing they sell). I have photos and stories about this place in the thread "The Meteor Crater Ride + More Kicks on Route 66". And if you go there, ask to get a tour of the back room from Brian. That's where all the super cool bikes are along with amazing old posters, helmets, leathers, and more. ;):)
    https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/the-meteor-crater-ride-more-kicks-on-route-66.30040/

The Serious Texas BBQ joint in Durango, CO is the one I'd like you to add is the one on the south along the Animas River. That place and also The Holler (Madrid, NM) are included in my ride trip thread from last summer "Adventures in the American Southwest".
    https://www.thetriumphforum.com/thr...les-8-days-7-friends-10-national-parks.29137/

You're correct that Moto Sonora should be Motosonora Brewing Co. I reported on this awesome place awhile back in "The Trifecta of B's: Bikes, Beer, and Bow-Wows". They have Bike Night on Mondays.
    https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/the-trifecta-of-bs-bikes-beer-and-bow-wows.27129/

Cafe Roka in Bisbee, AZ is referenced along with a couple pics in "Riding Into the Christmas Spirit, Old Bisbee Style" from this past Christmas season.
    https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/riding-into-the-christmas-spirit-old-bisbee-style.30564/

Ah, Nicols West--a very cool place in Congress, AZ which is actually considered somewhat of a ghost town these days. I've never included this place in a forum thread because I haven't been there since I joined the forum. I've been there once by car and once by bike when we were on our way to the Laughlin River Run. It's one of those places that you can't really believe is where it is (read "out on the boonies") because it's quite upscale in a small-town sort of way. :)

I've not included the Hideaway Grill in any ride reports here on the forum, either. But this place is an iconic Arizona biker hangout. I was last there in April of 2019 for Arizona Bike Week, an event that hasn't happened since, (no) thanks to Covid. :( Evidently they're gonna try to make it happen again this year but I've not seen anything advertising the Cave Creek festivities that happen in conjunction with the larger event. Cave Creek is just north of Scottsdale (the Phoenix area). If it does happen, we'll try to ride up and I'll definitely post a report. It's a super fun event in a beautiful part of the Phoenix metro area (far north end). But the Hideaway is pretty much a hoppin' place, rally or not.

Finally, Sparky's. :blush: This unique restaurant is in the little town of Hatch, New Mexico, which is known far and wide for their green chilis. You can actually smell roasted green chilis as you ride into town. This was our first restaurant stop on our trip to Sturgis in August of 2019. I posted photos of Sparky's in one of the first threads I ever posted: "Sturgis Trip on My (non) Triumph".
    https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/sturgis-trip-on-my-non-triumph.20572/

Ok, that might have been TMI. But you asked. ;) Thanks again for doing the map, Saul! I appreciate the time and effort and energy you're putting into it. :kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Better too much than too little, it gives me more to work with. :)

I found your thread for Motor Palace Mercantile and a few others, including one or two I think I said I hadn't - oops). I try to make it a bit more personal by using a picture and a bit of commentary from the forum posts wherever I can so I had a good look for all the places you listed. It was on the map but I wasn't sure whether to mark MPM as a dealer/workshop, hence the question. :)

I've added and updated all the places now from your last post. We have a bar not dissimilar to Motosonara near me called Magic Rock Brewing. It's not a biker hangout but the beer is good. The main place is about 10 miles away; this one is in my nearest town. We were there just a couple of days ago. :blush:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  8. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    @Havit I've added the latest version of the map to the first post of the thread but it won't let me delete the old one, so now there's two. :mad: Are you able to fix that, and would you let me know about the pin I mentioned in a PM last week? I can't see a logical reason for the delete not working so this looks like a bug to me. Perhaps @Rob could look into it. Maybe it's fixed in a later version of the forum software...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Top work @Octoberon :grinning:
    I have had a word and you will be in the New Year Honours List;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I think it'll take a bit more that that. :joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Ok then, I've had a "strong" word. If you're not Sir @Octoberon next new year, give me a call.

• Funny Funny x 5
  12. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I'll be happy if you can just get me some decent service in The Carding Shed.

13. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Ok I'll withdraw your knighthood. You are ungrateful.:p:D

• Funny Funny x 5
  14. Octoberon

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I demand fealty! :D

15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @Octoberon
    Wow, Saul, this map is SO cool! And I am well and thoroughly impressed with your IT skills. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this fun resource. I just e-mailed the link to Mr. Sandi and he will love it, too.

Now we just need to get a few contributions from the other side of the world from the likes of @capt and @Dartplayer. ;):) The map is looking a bit empty down there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    That looks like a great place, @Octoberon. Love the ambience (although there don't seem to be many people...) It seems like lots of craft breweries have cool bars attached to them these days. And a big step up from a six-pack of Bud Light on the couch. ;):joy:

17. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    #97 Dartplayer, Feb 13, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    Great work @Octoberon, enjoyed sorting through some of @Sandi T points
    I have many on my NZ trips galleries
    https://www.thetriumphforum.com/gallery/albums/trips-in-nz-2018-2019.613/
    https://www.thetriumphforum.com/gallery/albums/trips-in-nz-2020.825/
    but favourite haunts:
    Muddy Waters Irish Bar
    P2CW+G9M Mercer
    9B038495-C04B-4BED-BA78-B36ED66B66C1.png
    Bayview Hotel
    V7RW+8H Kaiaua
    E8981F12-908A-41AA-AA0B-B7B2F89A425D.png
    Puhoi Pub
    FMQ6+45 Puhoi
    Mangawhai Tavern
    VHGJ+F3 Mangawhai
    Parua Bay Tavern
    6FG2+VP Parua Bay
    13648259-A1E7-4D3F-95EC-13149D3CD065.png
    Murphys Law Irish Bar
    VXX2+MJ Auckland
    Swashbucklers
    5Q42+FPM Auckland
    upload_2022-2-15_8-38-18.png
    Coroglen Tavern
    3MGR+GF Coroglen
    Kopu Station Hotel
    RH89+9X Kopu

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I knew you'd come through with a nice healthy list for the map, @Dartplayer! ;):joy::kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    It's looking great @Octoberon - top effort!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Great photos, @Bikerman! But geez, now we're gonna have to go back to Sturgis since we didn't hit up Keystone. Heck, we didn't even know about it when we were there! I'll look it up on the map. We stayed in Lead and spent most of our time in Deadwood or Sturgis or riding Spearfish Canyon.

I have heard of that Ace Cafe in Orlando and would love to go there, too. But it's over 2,000 miles from Tucson and that's taking a straight shot across the southern U.S. on Interstate 10. Ugh. Perhaps one day if we fly to Florida we'll build in a visit to the Ace Cafe into our vacation plans. But it's just as likely that we'll make a trip to the UK and see the one there.

Thanks for the recommendations. And those enticing photos!

• Like Like x 4