The Trifecta Of B's: Bikes, Beer, And Bow-wows

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Sandi T, Dec 3, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    MotoSonora is one of the newest breweries to open in Tucson and Mr. Sandi and I ventured out recently to scope it out. The verdict? It's awesome! We thoroughly enjoyed not only the beer but also the vibe of the place and we'll definitely become regulars. We joked that with MotoSorona we hit the trifecta of B's--beer, bike, and bow-wows. :):cool:
    1.jpeg

On our inaugural visit we drove there in Mr. Sandi's pickup truck rather than ride since we weren't exactly sure exactly where the place was located or what parking would be like. Turns out the motorcycle parking on Monday night is great since it's considered "Bike Night"! We'd read about that in the local newspaper and were curious about the bike part. It's not really like a bike "show "but if you show up on a motorcycle you get 10% off.

MotoSonora is located in an industrial/warehouse part of Tucson and is close to another local brewery called Barrio Brewery that we also like. Barrio Brewery has hosted bike nights for years and has also been involved in supporting Tucson's "Distinguished Gentleman's Ride". Our house is a mere 6 miles from MotoSonora. Convenient? Yes! :grinning:Coincidence? I like to think not. ;)
    2.jpeg

Here's a bit of back story on the who and why of MotoSonora. I always find the history behind small, local businesses like this one to be quite interesting.

http://motosonora.com

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 2.00.52 PM.png

MotoSonora itself doesn't offer food but there's a fun food truck (more like food trailer) called Substance Coffee Diner out in front from which you can order then bring it inside the brewery grounds. It seems like a nice, symbiotic relationship and I believe that Substance is in front of MotoSonora whenever the brewery is open. They even serve brunch on the weekends. :cool::sun: A lot of their food is vegan (though not all) and Mr. Sandi and I opted for the Sonoran hot dog (vegan but none the worse for it!). We also ordered sides of french fries (right...chips) and fried pickles to go with our beer. And to counteract the vegan part. ;)
    3.jpeg

They offer a number of beer selections, all brewed right there on the premises. And they happily pour you a sample of anything so you can do a bit of a taste testing to assist in making a beer selection. Also available are flights as well as different pour sizes and prices. I had two excellent IPA's--the "Victory or Death" and the "Oversteer"-- and Mr. Sandi had the "Racing Slicks" Irish Stout.
    4.jpeg

The outdoor area of the brewery--deemed the "Beer Garden"--was a delightful place to sit and enjoy our beer and hot dogs. It was so comfortable and arranged so spaciously (but not obviously) that we almost forgot that we're in the midst of a pandemic. Well, other than the masks on the staff and on those walking through the inside area. The whole place both inside and out is dog friendly and there were at least a half dozen "bow wows" the night that we were there. We actually ran into one of my yoga teachers and her two dogs. I hadn't seen her since my bicycle accident so it was fun to reconnect. She and her boyfriend and their dogs live only a couple of blocks from MotoSonora and she said they stop by regularly even if just to let the dogs meet other canines.
    6.jpeg

You can see the tanks with their night time neon lighting from anywhere in the beer garden. This was our view from our table this evening--and those are our beers.:yum
    7.jpeg

For a Monday evening the place was rather busy. Not overwhelming so but a nice gentle social buzz. It felt good to be out doing something fairly "normal". Though we didn't stay late, I'm glad we went when we did because Tucson is instituting a curfew as of this coming Friday night and I'm not sure how it will affect businesses such as this one. Our mayor was lobbying for starting the curfew at 8pm but she and the city council came to an agreement of a 10pm start time. Since we don't typically stay out too late, the curfew shouldn't keep us from visiting MotoSonora again soon. If it remains open. Fingers crossed.
    8.jpeg

MotoSonora is completely dog friendly and even has a dog run on the south end of the building where dogs can meet one another and play together on the artificial turf. If Annie was still with us, we'd definitely be bringing her with us. She'd absolutely love it! :heart:
    9.jpeg

It will be fun to ride down some Monday evening and park the bikes in the Beer Garden. The only down side is that if we ride I'll limit myself to one beer. On the other hand, if Mr. Sandi is the "designated driver" I can splurge and have two! ;) The night time temperatures are quite chilly right now, too, so our next visit to MotoSonora may be in the pickup again. But just having motorcycles parked nearby is really fun and adds to the vibe of the place. MotoSonora is definitely a terrific addition to the Tucson motorcycle and bar scene. :):heart:
    10.jpeg

• Like Like x 24
  2. pistonbroke

pistonbroke Senior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    That is a really well thought out place you have there Sandi. It deserves to do well. I am also jealous! :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    Wow, what place. I’d need a taxi home though. It’s the sort of place that deserves to do well, they’ve set it up to cover so many bases. Great idea to have a bike night, it all looks very inviting....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Thanks for another dose of Arizona life, Sandi. We have something similar not far from me but it's not quite as nice as MotoSonara. When the weather improves I may have a go at writing it up and posting on the forum, so you can see how the other half have to live. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    That looks like a great little place Sandi. What do you deem "chilly" though? It's 4 degrees centigrade (that'd be 39F tou you...) here at the moment... o_O:cold_sweat:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lou160487

Lou160487 Senior Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Florida U.S.A
    Another great post Sandi. And the photos give us a great feel of the place.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Noble Member

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    I really want a doggo, shift work is not hugely dog friendly though sadly

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Oldfart

Oldfart Senior Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Staffs Moorlands
    Another great write up SandiT, which only compounds my envy at your apparent relaxed lifestyle. Bikes, sun, beer and the occasional dog, you've cracked it! Ever thought of taking in a lodger? Promise I'll be tidy ;)

Oldfart

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #9 Sandi T, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Please do post about your place, too, @Octoberon! I'd love to see it. I'm always curious about different aspects of life "across the pond". :)

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like Like x 3
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    We've been having low overnight temperatures in the high 30sºF, @Vulpes. So similar to your current temps. Although if you wrote this during the day it's definitely more chilly in your neck of the woods! Our daytime temperatures recently have been in the 60's and 70's. Last week a few days didn't get out of the 50's. Still, not cold at all compared to where I grew up in VERY "chilly" Minnesota. :eek:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #11 Sandi T, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Mr. Sandi and I do appreciate our lifestyle, @Oldfart. But our house isn't large enough for a lodger. Perhaps the backyard and a small tent would suffice? ;)

We actually do work, mind you. :joy: Though we both work part-time since we're close to (me) or at (Mr. Sandi) retirement age. So you could look after the house on the days we're away. But currently most of our work is from home since the school district where we work went from a hybrid model back to fully remote this past Monday.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    We were really impressed by this place, too, @pistonbroke. And we're hoping it does well. Evidently they also plan to show movies in the beer garden area, too, when we come out of our COVID fog. I agree that it deserves to do well. It's really a great addition to the Tucson night scene. And their beer is excellent. :yum:)

• Like Like x 2
  13. pistonbroke

pistonbroke Senior Member

Aug 10, 2020
    Lancashire
    let me get my covid jab and i'm on my way mon ami !! :joy::laughing:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Another nice writeup and story to add to your list Sandi T. We also have some local bike meet venues but they're practically deserted at this time of year. The only "problem" with bike meets, as you mention, is that you can't drink and ride although there's still good crack to be had over an alcohol free beer or a coffee. :) it certainly looks like you and Mr Sandi have a great part of the world to retire to. Good health and enjoy! :grinning:

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I love your write up Sandi.
    Makes up for a cold and very wet Blighty. Plus I NEED to get out

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Oldfart

Oldfart Senior Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Staffs Moorlands
    I'm packing my tent and French Maid's outfit as we speak ;);)

Oldfart

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Another great write up with pictures @Sandi T. Making us jealous again with those blue skies, especially as we are forecast sleet for tomorrow! :D

This was Winchester on Tuesday - just to prove that sometimes we get them!

20201201_140713.jpg 20201201_140530.jpg
    20201203_191236.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Glad I could brighten your day a bit and provide a little vicarious outing, @roadrider. :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @steve lovatt! And thanks for sharing those spectacular photos of Winchester, too. Those are some mighty blue skies in the first two pics. :):sun:

• Like Like x 3
  20. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sandi T
    Make it a tent for two or even a bivvi for me.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1