First Triumph For Years And Already Problems

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Gothmog, Feb 3, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gowerclub

Gowerclub New Member

Oct 26, 2020
    Porlock
    This is a fault in that particular bike - my bonnie is fine (as have been all my triumphs) and new last november - Triumph need to step up for you or they've lost another customer...

• Like Like x 1
  2. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Imho that’s totally unacceptable my 19 year old R1 has far more alloy on show not 1 spot if corrosion and used in all conditions,it’s not had proper coating at the factory IMO,I would be fucking raging if that was my hard earned cash spent,had all sorts of bikes through years and never had one as bad as that.

• Like Like x 2
  3. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Clean up as best you can and give it fine mist of FS365 every time you use it,it is cheap and even if bikes filthy still give fine mist on top of any grime,when you come to wash properly it just hoses off with no effort see Delboys YouTube videos.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MARK DOBSON

MARK DOBSON Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Houston TX
    A friend of mine bought a motorcycle orinted powerfull hairdryer and blow drys after washing .
    Just my 0.02 cents
    Mark

• Like Like x 1
  5. JULIAN WW

JULIAN WW Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2019
    carlton in lindrick
    If you are going to claim against Triumph it may be worth checking out the history of the BMW K1600. Several years ago I was in the local BMW dealer, Rainbow as it was then, and they were replacing the complete engine in a number of bikes, under warranty, due to alloy corrosion on the front of the engine. I was told it was more economic to replace the whole unit than have the dealer strip and replace cylinders and casings.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Have a look underneath your car if you have one, see how much corrosion there is, doesn't make any difference make or model, how many leave the underside neglected. I have been riding since 1967, often in some challenging conditions, I have always washed my bikes as soon as possible after a ride outside of the warm sunny weather with cold water, hot water will activate the chemicals in road salt, hot exhausts and engine casings aggravate matters and speeds up the process of corrosion. The advice by many other forum members regarding using ACF50 or XCP (clear) that's the latest variant is essential in avoiding corrosion. The maxim drummed into me in another life was "look after your kit and it will look after you". Unfortunately and as harsh as it may seem if you are remiss in avoiding a washing regime then the inevitable will happen, the dealer sounds like they are replacing the corroded parts as a goodwill gesture.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Photog_Steve

Photog_Steve Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Massachusetts
    Sorry you metal is beginning to get pitting already. I don't know if this product would help you but I just watched the demo on Jay Leno's YouTube channel. He was reviewing a product for cleaning chrome surfaces.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Eddie17

Eddie17 Member

Oct 10, 2019
    Glasgow
    I use a pet dryer ...something our dog hated
    Eddie

• Like Like x 1
  9. Acadena

Acadena Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Rio de Janeiro-Brazil
    #49 Acadena, Feb 8, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    That is a real problem. In May las year I bought a Speed Twin and my brother a T120 Black. Both brand new bought in Rio de Janeiro - Brasil. A place by the sea. Log story short, in 400km and 10 days my SPEED TWIN came up with same corrosion problems as you on the aluminium parts ( it was with brake squeal too). Complained a lot with the dealer, with Customer Service. Published the problem everywhere and finally got an answer from the dealer: "TRIUMPH CAN NOT PROVIDE WARRANTY ON THESE PARTS BECAUSE THEY ARE MANUFACTURED BY THIRD PART AND NOT BY TRIUMPH". I just said they should wait for me soon. So, I mailed to Nick Bloor plus Triumph of Brazil CEO and so many other VIP around the globe. Result: In less than 24 hours I was invited to the dealer to open a warranty order. So, they changed everything. Following was the brake squeal........at the end they changed both front discs (they were warped), front pads and rear pads......Now, about my brother I went to the dealer along with him. At this time, no complain....They changed under warranty both wheels, both front discs and both read shocks. All with deep corrosion that came up after 10 days of use. So, I own Japanese bikes over 40 years and never had such a problem. First time I gave a chance for non-Japanese, I got this surprise. In summary, after this all UNNECESSARY stress, everything is all right as now I know I have to clean the bike even if I ride around the corner. And finally, I am enjoying the bike but when time comes to change the bike I will go back to Japanese. Good luck

• Like Like x 4
  10. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Not the best at all when spending ten grand odd... I’ve always bought the blacked engined / black wheeled triumphs just for that reason but also put the bike away once the roads start getting salted, figuring if they need to grit then maybe being out on two wheels isn’t a good idea. I’m fortunate not having to ride in wintertime and can choose when I go out once spring is on the horizon. Also as an aside it’s perhaps remembering if considering ex demos that they will not have been lovingly cared for but been hacked around to & from work by the dealership as well as obviously for demos... then tarted up for sale, so may well have shiny polished out engine covers but with hidden corrosion in places you can’t see. :confused:

11. Acadena

Acadena Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Rio de Janeiro-Brazil
    I can not imagine a road with snow and salt. Any way, Triumph is a global company and putting this "salty road" aside, Triumph sells motorcycle at sea level far from the sea as well as near the sea and their products should have a minimum resistance on any weather. How can a bike get a corrosion on just 10 days of use. That is crazy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  12. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Compare this with just about any other Japanese bike and that shows the triumph is not a patch on them,I’m not biased as I have a triumph after many jap bikes but the issue is poor qaulity whether triumph itself or their suppliers end of

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. cliverdee

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Yes it is.. I totally agree and it must just be down to saving money on cheap quality alloy ... they probably believe their main market is fair weather riders so think don’t need to pay for winter quality metals for the bikes.... in the ‘old days’ when I did ride ride all year round I never had a problem on my Brit bikes with pitting etc and any tarnishing on the cases would be easily rubbed away with a bit of Solvol Autosol. .that was on a BSA Roadrocket, 1965 Bonneville, and a 1979 Triumph Tiger 750. I think Triumph need to up their game as I wouldn’t buy a shiny one from them again..the rims on a new 2014 Bonnie I had were starting to pit/ rust showing after summer /autumn riding, cleaning & drying and storage in a garage over winter. :no_mouth:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kenny11

Kenny11 New Member

Jun 17, 2019
    New Forest
    I have a 2018 t120, my rims and rear shocks are starting to rust, I bought it in 2019 and I've already washed it more times than I ever washed my Honda 750/4, and I had to use that every day for work and it was kept outside.
    I'm very disappointed with the triumph, which is a shame as I love riding it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. cliverdee

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    since the 2014 Bonnie I’ve had all black engined/ wheels bikes... currently a Street Scrambler which is holding up well... the only new Triumph I’d probably go for is the Bonnie Black as these classic bikes are just so much fun to ride... I’ve had a couple of Tiger 800s but while great for comfortable long distance they just don’t hit the spot !!!

16. Kenny11

Kenny11 New Member

Jun 17, 2019
    New Forest
    If I keep it I think I might get the casings coated black the same as the engine

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    The issue surrounding why corrosion takes place on Motorcycles, Cars and so much more in the U.K. is not due to inferior parts or a particular manufacturer, but what is put on our highways during winter. I could write an essay on the subject but will refrain, instead I have placed a link for people to read. The only way to combat corrosion is completing a rigorous cleaning regime, and applying an anti corrosion blocker. I still hear of people washing their motorcycles/cars etc with warm water in winter when grit is on the roads, people still use washing up liquid would you believe (the stuff is full of salt). I just do not get why some people will pay a lot of hard earned money on a vehicle and then don't clean it correctly, and then wonder why metalwork gets corroded and pitted. Volkswagen have done extensive research on the subject, look it up and have a read. The link below explains the latest road gritting in the U.K.
    https://www.theukrules.co.uk/news/homes-and-lifestyle/road-salt-damage-to-cars.html

• Like Like x 3
  18. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    All well and good iceman and some good info BUT it doesn’t explain why the Japanese can sell bikes that have far superior corrosion protection,I’m sure there is some type of coating you can buy to prevent this,I had an old Gpz 750 air cooled that I polished all the casings on and bought a liquid (many years ago) that you could brush on with no marks kept casings shiny for the 4 years I had bike,can’t remember what it was called but it was resistant to petrol and other contaminants worked a treat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Volkswagen, the paragon of motor manufacturers.
    If they tell you something you'd better believe it!

• Funny Funny x 6
  20. Gothmog

Gothmog New Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Great Harwood
    Sorry Iceman im with Chuk on this.
    Been riding bikes for close on 40 years and treated all my bikes the same, winter and summer. Even my Italian bikes are fine, let along my Japanese ones.
    We all understand how nasty salt is on anything metal but it still doesn't explain why I have a lock up full of bikes all used the same, mates who was even on the sames rides as me and some haven't even washer there bikes since the ride and my Triumph T120 is the ONLY one looking like spent the last 20 year on the high tide line.
    Yes salt is nasty stuff, but sorry Triumph isn't a back street manufacturer and needs to get its act together to produce bikes of equal quality as other manufacturers.

• Agree Agree x 2