First Triumph For Years And Already Problems

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Gothmog, Feb 3, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gothmog

Gothmog New Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Great Harwood
    After much searching bought a brand new Triumph T120 just before Christmas. LOVE the bike a real pleasure to ride and was very happy until went for my next ride.

Rode back from the dealers and 2 weeks later did a ride out with some friends, got a total of 137 miles on the clock. The bike was 6 weeks old when the problem was found !!!

Went to go for another ride and to my horror found all the alloy parts really badly corroded and very badly pitted.
    Spoke to the dealer who said to being it in.

After speaking to dealer that said this was salt and the bike hadn't been washed off after every ride and triumph wont touch under warranty.
    Now if fairness the dealer was very good and said they would sort BUT if i don't wash off after every ride it will return.

As I use the bike for touring and sometimes for work this just isn't practical.
    I have many other bikes all used in the same way and while I know salt is nasty stuff the way I have looked after them is the same and even after many years non of them show the problem the triumph has.
    Even people on the rider out some haven't washed there bikes after the ride and have had no issues.

SO ?? Is this normal ???
    If yes is it acceptable as I am thinking that this makes the bike not suitable for UK roads.

Would like to here people thought on this as love the T120 but I cant live with washing EVERY time I

20210124_135012.jpg 20210124_135001.jpg 20210124_134729.jpg 20210124_134739.jpg t.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    This is a common complaint, lots of members on here swear by ACF 50, dont know if perhaps manufactures are using Greener metal presentation or regulations have changed the processes involved these surfaces are not so durable. Whether this is just a Triumph problem I couldnt say.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Is it normal for alloy to corrode/oxidise in harsh conditions? Yes, of course it is. Don't take this the wrong way but choosing a bike with exposed alloy parts, to ride daily in all weathers when you're not prepared to put in the cleaning time is the wrong choice. Bare alloy + salt water = corrosion very quickly. I have a Street Scrambler with far less exposed alloy but it still requires regular washing and corrosion protection measures like ACF50 etc. In fact every bike I've owned over the last 40 years has suffered in Winter weather to some degree or other, even if it's limited to small fittings and fasteners.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Crikey that doesn’t look good!

As sprinter says ACF50 or similar might provide some protection.

My Tiger is however protected by an inch deep layer of mud and grime. This has the same effect as ACF50 but is cheaper and easier to apply (just drive though a muddy puddle).

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gothmog

Gothmog New Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Great Harwood
    Thanks for the comments guys, sounds like its a very common problem and to be honest very disappointing in a modern vehicle.

Replying to a few specific points

1) Few people have mentioned

Will have a look at ACF50 and WCF. I have spray equipment so could do the parts but to be honest if going to do that may just get them anodized, but will depend on any warranty issues

2) Is it normal for alloy to corrode/oxidise in harsh conditions? Yes, of course it is

No, its not !!, if the right grade of alloy is used. I manage a design department and we use alloy in high corrosion environments, going for alloys like 5454, 5083 etc, quite a few to choose from, will not corrode even in VERY high salt and corrosion environments without any protection. Given the mechanical requirements of the parts the selection of alloys should be quite wide.

3) Yes, now its been pointed out to me and states that the alloy parts must be cleaned and dried every time the vehicle is used. I would question if that statement makes the bike fir for purpose in the UK but its in the manual.

4) Were you given any advice by the dealer on cleaning and protecting your bike?

No nothing was said.

I think I'm going to get the dealer to sort the problem, as said they have been very good which cant be said for Triumph who just washed there hand of the problem . If I cant sort better protection I think ill just sell and end my very short ownership of Triumphs, which will be a pity as a lovely bike to ride.

Thanks for all your comments :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Kenny11

Kenny11 New Member

Jun 17, 2019
    New Forest
    Mine did the same, after a ride I washed it but didn't wipe the casings after, I'm not sure I want to wash and dry it after every ride though.
    I'm thinking of painting the casings satin black like the engine block, or have them lacquered.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gothmog

Gothmog New Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Great Harwood
    Im going to look at having them anodized. Could be done clear or black (or most other colors).

Going to speak to one of our suppliers if they can do, if yes ill post there details.
    Just need to make sure wont effect warranty :(

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I wouldn't go down the lacquering route personally. Even if you get a decent finish it will suffer from stone chips. Then the corrosion will start under the lacquer and it will look crap and you'll not be able to polish the alloy without removing it, nightmare. The black crackle finish used on some of the engine cases looks more durable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    What a sad story and sorry state for your new bike. I can understand your frustration and decision to get rid of your bike. On the triumph response your experience is similar to mine when I had problems with a new bike. Basically triumph off load to the dealer because your contract of purchace is with the dealer not with triumph direct. It is their get out jail card. It is a real pain, but owning a triumph does require a liking for a harsh cleaning regime.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Bloody hell Gothmog!
    Looks as though you've had a ride to Portmadoc and nipped down to Black Rock Sands.
    You simply should not have ridden up and down the beach whilst in 6 inches of sea water!
    Looks as though your alloy is actually some type of soft cheese?
    Totally unacceptable, not fit for purpose in my book.
    I feel your distress, not that that helps at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    Worked for me too when I commuted year round. Spray WD40, dirt sticks to it, apply more WD40, more dirt sticks to it and so on. Come spring/ salt clear roads, out with a brush and a can of Gunk to degrease. Alloy cases etc in perfect nick.

If I take a bike out now for pleasure during winter, its an hour riding then hours and hours of washing and cleaning and re-protecting with WD40,ACF50, Silicone Spray, Auto-Glym etc.

Been out once in December. Thought." Fk that" since.

To the OP, I would be taking those cases off and getting them polished cos they are knackered. Surprisingly cheap and you will go weak at the knees when you collect them. Supa-sexy!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Patchinko

Patchinko Senior Member

Feb 1, 2018
    S.W. Hants
    That's some really funky patina you have going on there dude. It's right on trend these days. Way cool:cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    If you prefer something less thick than the waxy ACF50 try Scottoiler FS365. It does work in a completely different way to ACF50 and you apply it more frequently. It is a water based spray with an oil mixture that leaves a barely visible protective layer on things. Some like it, some don't. Not trying to rubbish ACF50 either but I prefer the FS365 myself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gothmog

Gothmog New Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Great Harwood
    The dealer is sorting for me, getting them re-brushed I expect BUT I now know that they are just likely to go the same. If I had know this I would have just gone the T120 Black as understand the alloy is a lot better being coated.

I personally think Triumphs attitude is VERY poor and the choice of alloy is very bad design. As said have had bikes for coming upto 40 years so lets say I have ridden a few and ride all year round and never seen anything this bad.

I am considering rejecting the bike and would be interested if anyone else has done this.

Its a real pity as the T120 is a stunning bike to ride.

Also had a look last night at one of the other bikes that was out on the ride with me, not washed since and just put away wet. Guess what, no marks on the alloy.

Not sure where this leaves me at the moment

Triumph Motorcycles, Wont even look at again for future bikes

Dealer Looking after me but hands tied a little.

Manual states "Clean aluminum items regularly, in particular after use in inclement weather, where the component must be hand washed and dried each time the machine is used"

Is this reasonable ??, what if the machine is left outside ??. I would be interested if anyone has a legal background as to if this is reasonable or makes the machine not fit for purpose.

Also does anyone know anyone who handles the legal side of what I can and cant do ?

As you can prob guess not impressed, to be honest I dont want to go down the route of rejecting the bike as love it, but If i just sell will lose £1000's and I def cant clean and dry EVERY time I use.

Was really excited to get the T120, now its just a sour taste !!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    I can easily understand the disappointment.
    Not much you can do I'm afraid apart accept some corrosion. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That is pretty p*ss poor for a new bike. :mad:
    I've previously owned two Bonnevilles, a 2004 T100 and a 2012 SE and never encountered any issues with corrosion.

This was a T120 loan bike I had whilst the Tiger was getting it's 24000 mile service. It had over 400 miles on it and hadn't been washed for two weeks according to the dealer - but the casings look clear to me.

120.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Ridiculous in our times to sell a motor vehicle that needs cleaning & drying after every use!
    Triumph probably bought the residual material from Honda when they stopped making camshafts out of chocolate, and are now using it up on engine casings.
    This is what the Ditch Pump makers say re. care.
    Ken.

image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  19. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Gothmog
    Welcome to the family. Sorry to hear your woes. Sad advert for Triumph and their reputation. Strangely my 900 has some marks to the casings and has not been out in the winter weather. I will be polishing min soon as i like the mirror finish anyway.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. I just bought a new, leftover, 2018 Speedmaster. I hope this is not what I have to look forward to. When I saw all the exposed aluminum I treated it with Master Formula Sealer Gloss in anticipation of what you've experienced. I haven't had her out in really bad weather yet, so we'll see if the Master Formula performs as advertised. I will report on its effectiveness.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1