Featured First Day Ridding On Avon 3d Ultra Sport Tires

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by SteveRS, Apr 14, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    The top photo was from about 800 km’s ago and the bottom photo is present condition.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    Hahaha. No, the bike!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Just finished deglazing the front rotors and cleaning the pads, so she is still up on the stands. Kinda looks MotoGPish on the stands don’t you think ;)

C539FB29-6C44-4D27-A67F-75000595B6F9.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  4. OhCrumOn

OhCrumOn Well-Known Member

May 2, 2019
    Phila
    Just ordered one of these; @ 5,800 miles and already through my second rear tire, figured I'll go for the cheaper option this time around. If the $150 tire gets me another 3k miles without compromising grip, that's fine by me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    What tires did you wear through by 5800 miles? I assume the first tire was a supercorsa.

Update on the Avon’s, I’m loving them. Just got back from a 5 hour ride and they feel and look like new. I now have 1700 km’s on the tires. Wear is even and the rear profile still looks good, which more than likely is due to proper suspension settings mind you. The front is scuffed in but other than that it looks new as well. I will continue to give updates as I put more and more km’s on them.

• Like Like x 2
  6. OhCrumOn

May 2, 2019
    Phila
    You would be correct, OEM Supercorsa's were good for a bout 2,700 miles before they were cooked; i've never had a tire fall off so fast. I twas like one day there was grip, the next they were smoked. front tire followed 400 miles later which really blew my mind. Replaced front and rear with Diablo Rosso III's which felt great but that short life just always chafes at me. At this point I'm just looking to get through this front tire at which point I'll run Michelin Pilot Power 2ct's since they've historically been one of the better feeling tires I've ridden on and could constantly get around 4,200 miles out of them on my R1.
    Would love if the Avon's feel as good as you're suggesting & hold up for a nice long while since I can get a rear from the dealership for $149

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I had a Rosso lll on a street triple which lasted a good amount of miles, but that’s a small engine. I’ve never tried the pilot power 2ct, it’s over $50 cad more. We’ll see what happens with the Avon’s. The new version will be out very soon. Same tire but with stickier compound with no sacrifice to longevity.

• Like Like x 2
  8. OhCrumOn

May 2, 2019
    Phila
    Put 200 miles on it today, 30 or so two up and I am impressed to say the least. Got to carve it up pretty good and they stick like glue and take temp quickly. Great suggestions @SteveRS
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I’m glad you’re enjoying them. With over 2000 km’s on mine, I’m loving them as well. As long as they last I’ll be happy. I’m hoping for 8-10,000 km’s for the rear. We’ll see.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Just put another 250 km’s on them today. Went out with my brother on his FZ 09. He has Rosso III on his bike with about 7500 km’s on them. The Avon’s certainly get a much rougher surface on the sides of the tire where the softer rubber is, compared to the Rosso’s, which are smooth all over. This goes for the fronts as well. We bother ride equally as hard and have about the same tire pressures. It seems like the Avon’s might have softer rubber on the sides. This should help keep their profile as they wear down. Usually the centre is worn out long before the sides. Anyway just an interesting observation that might not mean a damn thing ;). Hope you guys are getting out for rides now.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Update: The tires are still wearing very well and grip has not changed. The profile also looks good, as it’s keeping a decent shape. I think that’s due to the the soft compound on the sides of the tire. The sides always look fairly rough after a ride. Seems they wear down at a much quicker rate keeping the profile. I think I have a bout 4000 km on the tires now. Oh yeah almost forgot about the front tire, it still looks like new with no abnormal wear or anything. So far I’m still loving the tires.

• Like Like x 7
  12. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Update: I have put the bike away for the winter and the Avon’s now have about 6000 km’s on them. On my second to last ride of the year I experienced wet roads. The tires performed very well. I purposely got heavy on the throttle out of some corners to see how far I could push it on a wet road. The rear tire then started to loose grip and slide a little, but the TC kept it in check. No issues in the wet with the front tire at all. Nice to know they are competent in the rain. The profile on the rear is still not showing a flat spot and the handling has remained unchanged. The rear tire tread is about a 16th of an inch from the wear bars now, so I’m not sure how many more km’s I’ll get out of them next year, so we’ll have wait and see. The front tires look almost new still, so another year of riding it would seem. They are by far the best tires I have ever tried. Unless I decide to try a sport touring tire, I will continue to purchase these tires.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Traded in my 2019 September reg Street Triple RS for the 2020 model 2 weeks ago, thankfully still on the Supercorsas, it's just had its first service but still running it in, went out for a ride yesterday in mixed conditions, greasy wet roads in places, dry in others, light rain on the way back, granted I was not riding above 8K rev wise, but on the damp twisties it's still cracking on, the Supercorsas never twitched all day, held like glue, personally I never factor in the cost of tyres, my thinking being I just factor in tyre costs like the servicing, also extras like a Yoshimura exhaust, engine protection etc. I know the Supercorsas don't last big miles but for me they tick the boxes. Those that say Supercorsas are no good in the wet, I would say watch the Southern 100 from the IOM, those races run wet or shine, unlike the TT the helicopter can reach anywhere on the course in any conditions (no mountain section to worry about). The S100 is in a lot of ways harder (or scarier) than the TT. Ride safe everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  14. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    The supercorsa’s won’t heat up as quick as a more road dedicated tire, but they still are a great tire. I noticed I had to be more careful in the rain when I had supercorsa’s on compared to the Avon’s. And the first time I road the Avon’s in the wet was just the other week when they were close to being worn out. The supercorsa’s are not worth the money if you’re not going to the track imo.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Steve RS I would disagree, from my experiences with the Supercorsa's I have never had any issues, I was brought up riding and driving in UK weather conditions, its rare we get many consecutive days of good weather, it also varies county to county, it may be fine in say Lancashire, by the time you hit the Lake District it could be lashing it down, when riding in Scotland it has its own micro climates, it can go from sunny to hail, even snow on higher passes. My test ride last year on a Street Triple RS saw the weather turn into torrential rain, the Supercorsa's coped well and I wasn't hanging about but rode to the conditions. On the theme of Supercorsa's handling look at Peter Hickman riding the Street Triple RS on the road to see how good the tyres performed, mind you he is the lap record holder for the TT, but like he says it's the public road not the track and he was getting advanced riding instruction (completely different to racing). It's whatever suits the individual rider tyre wise that counts, for me personally I am happy to pay for the Supercorsa's but get why others may not. Ride safe everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  16. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I can appreciate that. From my experience the supercorsa’s have not given me more grip on public roads that the other sport tires I have used in the passed. We are fortunate to have very remote mountain roads that we can ride quite aggressively, and I cannot justify nearly double the cost for a supercorsa that doesn’t perform better than say the current Avon’s I have. But I can understand that some might still want the big dog supercorsa. Cheers.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Nixter

Nixter Well-Known Member

That makes me sad. One benefit of living in Southern California is the virtually year round riding, that and obscenely high cost of living!

• Like Like x 2
  18. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Lol, you were rubbing my face in it a little until l read the “obscenely high cost of living” then I felt much better lol. In all seriousness you are fortunate to be able to ride year round, that would be awesome.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    Thanks for the running commentary on these tyres. I will have to change from my Super Corsas next year and will definitely see if I can find a set of these for my RS.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    Oldskool, I have em on my 2011 Speedy anorl. Can't fault em. Good grip, wet or dry, and although most of my riding is commuting to work and back, they haven't lost their shape.

• Like Like x 2