Featured First Day Ridding On Avon 3d Ultra Sport Tires

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by SteveRS, Apr 14, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Thought I would post a little review on the Avon 3D Ultra Sport tires I just had installed. Fortunately we’re not on lockdown here in British Columbia Canada. So I got out for a 5 hour ride with my brother today and put the tires though a good test. The roads we rode today run through the mountains in a remote area, perfect for testing the Avon’s out. First off they heat up almost instantly and provide a lot of confidence right away. The supercorsa’s never felt that confident until they had some time on them. Straight line stability, at speeds that you would loose your license and bike, was excellent. Road snakes didn’t seem to bother the tires either. Corner tip in was predictable and steady, they didn’t Just fall over when entering a corner. Corner exit is solid as well with no squirming under full throttle acceleration. High speed trail braking proved to be solid too. Traction was excellent as they have tons of grip, wether in a straight line or leaned over through a corner.

I had a feeling that the supercorsa’s were not really suited for road riding, as it takes a lot to heat them up. The Avon’s, on the other hand, heated up quickly and seemed to offer better levels of traction and grip on public roads during normal and very aggressive riding. I noticed the tires became slightly roughed up from this ride, which I believe is a good thing, as it shows that they got up to temperature and provided the traction that was needed. By comparison, and under the same punishment, my brothers Rosso 3’s remained smooth and cooler to the touch. The Rosso’s are great tires, I’ve owned a set as well, but I prefer the Avon’s to any tires I’ve owned so far. And for a much lower price to I might add. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this sad attempt at a tire review :). Thought I should include some photos as well.

9289D03B-7F62-4941-A563-AAEABACB6BC5.jpeg

C676009F-1A47-48C7-A16E-3A24E4F0B7C8.jpeg

E26EA310-E294-48D5-AE6C-D8E56C8D40EB.jpeg

• Like Like x 15
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  2. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    I have a 19 street triple RS, with the supercorsa and have to agree. Quite frankly they tip in weird vs the pilot power 3ct I had on the well sorted SV650. My impression was they wanted to fall over and didn't want to take a set line thru a corner without constant corrections. If I had to sum it up into one word SQUIRMY. Was that your impression?

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    No I never found them squirmy, just took time to get some heat into them. And even then they just wouldn’t warm up enough it seemed. A little scary on cooler days for sure. I can’t fault the supercorsa, it’s a great tire. It’s just not the best choice for the road. These Avon’s gave me confidence when we headed out in the morning when it was cooler and never let me down the whole day. I did have one corner where the back end spun up and stepped out on me, but that was due to sand and crap on the road. And speaking of that the tires handle debris much better than the supercorsa’s too. The roads today were not in the best shape, as we are just heading into spring. Lots of loose gravel and sand in areas. This is a rock solid tire at a great price too.

• Like Like x 6
  4. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Before I went for another ride today, I made suspension adjustments and let some air out of my rear tire. Previously the front suspension had 15 clicks out of compression and 9 clicks out of rebound. I readjusted it to 16 clicks out for compression and 12 clicks out for rebound. The rear shock was 18 clicks out for compression and 9 clicks out for rebound. It was readjusted to 19 clicks out for compression and 12 clicks out for rebound. The front tire I left at 31 psi. The rear tire was set to 42 psi (as per Triumphs recommendation) and I dropped it to 39 psi. Avon’s website recommends 38 - 40 psi for the rear tire for sport riding, so I thought I’d give it a try. This set up was much more compliant, yet It was still able to handle aggressive cornering without getting upset. The other day I mentioned the rear stepped out on me due to debris on the road. I’m not sure it was due to debris because I went for a short ride yesterday and under hard corner exit acceleration it squirmed a little again. Today I went for another long ride through the mountains and tried several times to get it to squirm exiting corners and it was solid. Not sure if the issue was totally due to rear tire pressure or a combination of suspension and tire pressure adjustments, but it’s very nice now.

On the way home I was held up for about an hour as a SUV collided with a Harley-Davidson. The SUV was pulling out turning left onto a main road and didn’t see the bike coming from his left. It wasn’t good. The Harley rider had a woman on the back and they we both critically injured. Two medical helicopters were needed to air lift them to the hospital. One police officer said the woman didn’t have much left of one foot, Jesus. It didn’t look like much protective gear was used either. Please wear the best and as much protective as you can afford, it could save your life. Cheers.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Just out in the car for weekly shop, car pulled out of side road on me, fortunately I managed to stop in time.
    In these lockdown times too many drivers are assuming there will be nothing there! So be careful out there, unfortunately it adds weight to the argument for no unnecessary travel, as it just might add to our already overstretched health service.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. OhCrumOn

OhCrumOn Well-Known Member

May 2, 2019
    Phila
    Great share, always looking for a good tire recommendation. I'm currently on a Rosso III and I've chewed it down to the ware bars in less than 3k miles. I was just at the dealership today talking bout how it's time for a new rear already and we were discussing alternatives since I burn through tires (no burnouts)

• Like Like x 3
  7. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Avon has a new replacement for the Ultra Sport called the Ultra EVO, which should be out anytime.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Simon64ds

Simon64ds Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2020
    Sussex, UK
    Hang on! Not in lockdown? Speed Triple with new tyres? Quiet BC mountain twisties? Where’s the “I’m raving jealous!” button? :yum

More seriously, good reporting @SteveRS feel free to feed my envy with more photos of your bike and area.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. fzr162

fzr162 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Keighley west yorkSHIRE
    I'm currently running Avon storm 3D ultra sports touring tyre. Can't fault them so far but only covers about 300 miles. At £164 fitted to loose wheels for the pair I thought I'd give them a try. Considered the ultra sports but as we were planning a big European trip this summer when I got them the sport touring seemed the better option.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Haha lol. Yeah, no lockdown and doesn’t look like it’s going to happen either. BC is flattening the curve. Everything is shut down and massive job losses though. Federal government is has a couple of programs to help people out financially which is nice. I’m fortunate as I’m still working as an essential service worker. Anyway, next time I’m out, which could be tomorrow, I’ll try to remember to snap a few photos. Cheers, and keeping my fingers crossed for the situation to improve in your country.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  11. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I looked at those but was concerned that I might sacrifice some grip and stability in the corners when riding aggressively. Let us know how you make out with them please.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Our neighbor to the south isn’t fairing to well though. They have the most cases and deaths of any country, and it looks like it’s just the beginning for them. Now if that malignant shit funnel of a leader of theirs would just get the virus, just kidding. Wouldn’t want anyone to be harmed by this virus. Glad to hear Boris is doing well. Take care.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    Good to hear positive reviews of Avon tyres - they're made in England and I will be fitting them to my Sprint GT.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  14. Simon64ds

Simon64ds Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2020
    Sussex, UK
    I have the Spirit STs on my Bonneville, excellent tyres. In a completely different league from the standard Pirellis. Rule Britannia. :p

• Like Like x 4
  15. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Have to agree with that which has already been said, only this morning I had a car driver pull out of a junction ahead of me after exiting a one way system the wrong way. We all need to keep especially sharp just now ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi all, I know tyre selection is a very personal thing, what suits one person and their bike may not be right for someone else, I haven't had any problems with Supercorsa Tyres at all even in the wet, I use scrubbed Metzler RRs used for road racing at £30 a pair on a Panigale 1299s and they are really good, just go a bit steadier in the wet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. fzr162

fzr162 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Keighley west yorkSHIRE
    I agree with the post above, me and Mrs FZR rode from West Yorkshire to Dover in what could only be described as a monsoon last year on them. You just need to adjust to the conditions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Thought I would post a quick update on how I’m getting along with the Avon’s. I’ve put about a thousand km’s on the Ultra Sports now. I ride a mixture of highway and canyons, no commuting. This tire has performed very well so far. It’s handlings characteristics haven’t wavered at all. The profile of the tire is wearing evenly as well. I’ve haven’t ridden in the rain yet, but have gone through some wet patches that have taken me by surprise with no issues at all. Tire pressures remain at 31 front and 39 rear, which seem to provide all the grip needed. I may try a pound or two less in the rear next time out to see if that has any effect on grip and stability. So far so good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    And still no photo's..........:(

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Well they don’t look any different than the previous photos I posted, but here you go.

A7733223-734E-45F5-9CCC-C28CF698CCB0.jpeg

F24D3957-9710-428E-9CFD-2871542C0575.jpeg

• Like Like x 2