Rocket Finish And Paint Concerns

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by SleepyOwl, Mar 24, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    That’s like going to Halfords asking for a engine rebuild with needing new pistons skimmed head and honed barrels and coming out with the opposite just an air freshener and wiper blades from a spotty 17year old.

2. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Nur I wasn't arsed buddy, the brushed look was always something I was never keen on and knew I'd be doing something with it as soon as the bike arrived.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    As I’ve mentioned on here before my riding buddy has a Royal Enfield Interceptor 650, a bike that’s looked down on by a lot of riders because it’s made in India, cheap to buy, only 650cc and hasn’t got the kudos.

The bike has a fair amount of chrome and bling and after 12 months of ownership has stood up better than a lot of new Triumphs in the build quality area.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

When I got NUDGER :cool:I covered him in ACF50:)after watching people on YouTube and how to do it :)
    Put probably too much on but it just goes on the garage floor where I was over zealous :)
    I did NOT do the wheels like that :eek:
    What I did was get a piece of sponge and took my time doing all the spokes/rims and around...not on the braking surfaces :)
    Also avoided the tyres :)
    I rode NUDGER through two winters o_Oand attended many rallies in muddy wet fields :(
    He got hosed down twice after getting particularly dirty and salty :confused:
    But mostly I kept on top of things with good old WD40 and elbow grease :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I did mate :)
    When I say WD40 I’m using it as a generic term :)
    That stuff I got off you is good and I still have it along with stuff I get from work :rolleyes:
    I just pick up the nearest stuff and spray some on surfaces and some on a cloth :p

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    Have sent the pictures to the dealer and they are coming to pick it up for the first service tomorrow. The "stuff" on the exhaust is definitely coming from this point as its also in the areas close to it.

Will see if they have anything to say tomorrow. Surprised nobody else has this paint coming off? IMG_2594 (1).jpg IMG_2594 (1).jpg IMG_2588 (1).jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    Dealer has contacted Triumph regarding the situation and waiting on reply.

• Like Like x 3
  8. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    That's good news - keep us informed

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Beerman

Beerman Guest

I agree. I love my Speedmaster, but - as I have said before - rust and blemishes on bikes of this supposed quality are not acceptable. My last bike - a Guzzi - had similar chrome and brushed aluminium finishes, but they didn't degrade the way the Triumph does.

It's my one gripe, but it's a megagripe.

Grumpily,

Beerman

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    The finish on my 2 early 90’s Hondas has held up extremely well, far better it seems than modern Triumphs. Both have brushed alloy frames , which are unmarked despite nearly 30 years and 1000’s of miles. Honda quality eh? At least in the 90’s. Like many of you l regularly use WD40 or GT85 to wipe down all my bikes and so far the Triumph is holding up.

• Like Like x 3