Featured Feckin Puncture But An Easy Fix

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Wishbone, Oct 20, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. covid-21

covid-21 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    I must respectfully disagree with this. If it's a nail or a small screw, then what damage are they going to be inspecting? We already know it has gone through the tyre. To me this is completely unnecessary fear mongering. I would bet a lot of money that you could warm and pressurise a motorcycle tyre that has been repaired with a self vulcanising string and the tyre would explode before the plug blew out.

Maybe it's different on a car with more shearing force as it goes around a corner, I don't know but searching the internets returns not a single instance of a motorcycle sticky plug, blowing out as if you used a piece of cork. Yet there are very many stories, of these sticky plugs lasting the life of a tyre from new and never losing any pressure at all.

When you pull the string out you're left with a little bulb in the inside which makes it as good as impossible to blow out.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bret Morey

Bret Morey Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Alexandria, PA - USA
    That is totally fair. Like I said I trust plugs. I was making the nanny recommendation of the safest option. I will continue to trust plugs, because I am too cheap to replace a tire with life left in it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Damien

Damien Recovering sportsbike addict
    Subscriber

Oct 2, 2020
    Carlow, Ireland
    Not sure I would fully trust those mini plugs, heard some horror stories of them letting go after as little as 10 miles. I always use vulcanised strings to plug a tire. Just plugged my T-bird 1600 rear tire last week with a screw in it and it hasn't lost a pound since. Had a plug in the rear tire of my GSXR11 before and had no problem doing triple digit speeds with it. A simple cheap repair kit and small compressor and you never have to worry about getting a nail in your tire again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MotoDruid

MotoDruid Member

Nov 1, 2020
    Indianapolis, IN
    My personal experience with mushroom type plugs has been very good.
    I seem to manage to get a sheetmetal screw or roofing nail in a new tire within the first 30% of a tire's life (especially Pirelli Rosso's ! ) and have successfully used a plug to seal the hole and claim a good portion of the tire life back. They rarely lose pressure, but you always have the option of using a bit or tire sealant on the replacement plug if you need to. I've also used the string type in the past with success, but I prefer the mushroom type as it doesn't necessitate carrying fresh glue around with you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Damien

Subscriber

Oct 2, 2020
    Carlow, Ireland
    You should not need to carry fresh glue with you as the string type are self-vulcanising so they will bond to the tire without any need for additional glue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Well it is still holding and I have done few trips to work 50mls;
    I put some Gloop in for peace of mind last week.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MotoDruid

MotoDruid Member

Nov 1, 2020
    Indianapolis, IN
    Maybe I should take another look at those. The last ones I looked at buying included a tube of glue, and recommended using it.

What brand do you use?

8. Damien

Subscriber

Oct 2, 2020
    Carlow, Ireland
  9. covid-21

covid-21 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    safetyseal.com I've used them didn't leak at all for the life of the tyre. They seem to be the best self vulcanising and they are a jaunty brick colour. Available on feeBay.

• Like Like x 1
  10. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Yes,that's the type l used last February. I agree, they are excellent.

• Like Like x 1