Featured Feckin Puncture But An Easy Fix

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Wishbone, Oct 20, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    got a puncture today on way home from work, rear felt a bit funny going round the big roundabout where the A130 meets the A127- A13 link road just up from Sadlers Farm roundabout.
    Must have been going down as it got progressively worse as I went down the A13 back to Thurrock. Eventually crawled home at 30 mph.

Was fearing the worst that it was a failure of the tubeless conversion; so pumped it back up and thankfully it was a hole in centre of tread, no nail or screw?

My son had given me a Grand Pitstop mini plug repair kit took longer to blow up tyre find the hole and read the instructions than it did to load the plug into tyre and blow it up again.
    If it holds(I will report back in a week or so) then it is a real winner for me.

• Like Like x 8
  2. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    It'll be interesting to see how it holds up. I've had car tires plugged before and they lasted the life of the tire.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  3. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    I have put 2 in the rear tyre of the Deauville in times past and they lasted the life of the tyre triumph is tube

• Like Like x 3
  4. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Good to know Jadorff.
    No tubes on my Triumph, did the tubeless conversion with the 3M seal tape, happy days easy repairs;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    I haven't heard of a tubeless conversion how does that work is it running tape over the spokes

6. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    yeah its a special 3M tape like this:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    thanks will have a look at that enjoy your night just day brake here

• Like Like x 1
  8. neilb

neilb Active Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Billericay, Essex
    I’ve plugged many tyres over the years using sticky string. Never had a problem running the tyres to the end of their life. Always carry a compressor and repair kit when out on the road.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    all of these plugs are supposed to be temporary and not to ride over 50mph had a puncture on my tuono 2 weeks a go AA came out plugged the tyre. first thing he said was its just a fix to get you home do not ride over 50mph but there again he is going to say that just to cover themselves so you pay your money and take your chance

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    i replaced the tyre with a new one it was on a high performance bike so i didn't want to take any chances and it would of been playing on my mind all the time

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I've been carrying a kit similar to this around for years after I got a puncture in the rear tyre on a Fireblade and had to wait DECADES for roadside recovery. I've never used the kit on any of my own bikes but have done so a couple of times for people who were stranded with a flat. They work perfectly on a nice neat hole from a nail etc but anything like a small cut from a metal shard etc and you're stuffed.

Still on the punctures theme I've ridden the Berg almost 20 miles back home on tarmac with a flat front and rear on 2 seperate occasions. That was with 4mm tubes fitted, the big difference being dirtbike tyres are clamped to the rims of course. Perhaps suprisingly, the flat front was much easier to control than the flat rear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I have plugged tubeless tires over the years on the side of the road with success. But the intent of any roadside repair is just to get you home. It is always recommended to replace with a new tire. I know it is costly but the safe thing to do. And for me it is safety first.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    #13 Pegscraper, Oct 22, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    The two punctures I had on the Berg were while offroad. The rear was on a loose dirt/muddy track about a mile from tarmac. The bike was moving around that much anyway I never really noticed it until I got back onto the hardstuff and it felt "funny". The tyre was well past it's best with with the central knobs down to less than 10mm so a new tyre went on in addition to a new tube which was completely destroyed by the ride home but I expected that.
    The bike is almost 100kg less than the SS so obviously a lot more managable.

• Like Like x 1
  14. covid-21

covid-21 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    I've had 5 nails and screws in my tires over the past 5 years, just put one in a nearly used tyre, and my first one was in a brand new tyre. The first time it happened I was convinced the tyre would need replacement. While I'm not riding around at 200kph on a racetrack, I do not have the slightest doubt that that a self vulcanising string is anything other than as good as no puncture at all.

Seeing as a self vulcanising plug actually molecularly becomes a part of the tyre, it is impossible for me to see how it would in any way be dangerous. I mean tyres are not that high pressure. This only goes for a plug close to the centre of a tyre, It's obviously not safe on or near the sidewall.

But it's no cause for alarm at all.

• Like Like x 2
  15. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    it depends what you riding if you're chugging about on a old bonny at 40mph no problem i wouldn't be worried myself tyres get very hot at speed you say you don't ride around at 200 kph i do :p

• Like Like x 2
  16. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    If you do a tubeless conversion, do you have to inform your insurance?

I know somebody who ran a land rover with tubeless tyres on tube rims, had an accident after a puncture, and the insurer refused to pay out, seemingly it wasn't an approved mod?

17. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Hope not, but surely it is an improvement as the T120 has tubed rims but uses tubes, there are plenty of spoked wheel tubeless rims fitted as standard on other brands, pity Triumph cheaped out on the rims, who wants to use tubes nowadays?

18. covid-21

covid-21 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    People who've never had a puncture, I'm guessing. Having had 5 nails/screws in three sets of tyres over the past 5 years, I shiver at the thought of spokes.

• Like Like x 2
  19. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    I got a puncture on the dragon rally...nearly new tyre. Plugged it with "sticky string" and it lasted the rest of the life of the tyre, it never even lost any pressure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Bret Morey

Bret Morey Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Alexandria, PA - USA
    #20 Bret Morey, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    I have plugged numerous tires with the tarred string plugs, and have ran them for the life of the tires without problem. The first new vehicle I eve owned was a 2000 Nissan Xterra that I bought when they first came out in 1999. I got a puncture within the first 1000 miles on the new tire. I plugged it with a tarred string repair kit and ran it till the belts were showing around 60,000 miles. I even plugged a sidewall gash in an old subaru forester that took 4 strings to plug. i ran that tire will it was worn out, but it was old to begin with so that was less than 10,000 miles on the repair. I plug tires and trust my safety to them based on my own assessment of the repair and the risk.

All that said, it is not advisable to do as I do (that can be said for so many things I do). It is always best to use repair plugs just to get home, then replace the tire or to get it professionally repaired. A tire repair shop will remove the tire, inspect it to ensure a repair will be safe, and install a patch that installs from the inside of the tire and has a backing flap that will prevent it from being ejected or blown out of the tire. If you are risk averse, That is the best way to deal with a puncture.