Exhausts

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Van S, Jul 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tony Rokins

Tony Rokins Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    Gled, Had my 2011 model custom re-mapped at Hilltop M/Cs in Hinkey last week with very good results, as did my friend TC (also of this parish) His bike is a 2017 1050S

2011 Speed Triple dyno run 2017_07_24.jpg

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    That looks healthy, over 20 torques more at about 2500 rpm and about 18ish bhp more at 5500. Time to seek out somebody near me to have mine done.

3. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Here's mine.
    2017 Speed with Lowboy exhaust

LowBoyMap.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tony Rokins

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    I'm running a SC Project low boy but otherwise stock bike. Mike at Hilltop knows his stuff. He achieved an extra 9ft/lbs torque 1500rpm lower and an extra 11bhp at the top end. As you can see from both mine and TC graphs, the power curve has been smoothed out and the torque curve is billiard table flat.
    But the nicest result is a much smoother transition from a closed throttle to open, makes the bike much nicer to ride

6. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    Wow, that looks impressive Tony. What did it cost, if you don't mind me asking?

Gled

7. Tony Rokins

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    360 beer vouchers

8. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    Crikey,

This might have to wait

Gled.

9. Modalconfusion

Modalconfusion Active Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Stafford
    But t
    But the expense :(

10. speedy10

speedy10 New Member

Dec 27, 2017
    halifax

11. speedy10

speedy10 New Member

Dec 27, 2017
    halifax
    what year did the exhaust say it was for . As i thought it was fixed baffles for new triumphs .cheers mate

12. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Speedy10, I got the 2015 Arrows for my 2016 triple.
    They fit, have removable baffles (unlike the 2016) & are cheaper

This might help

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. speedy10

speedy10 New Member

Dec 27, 2017
    halifax
    It certainly does . cheers for that

14. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I'm sure most are already aware that there are two versions of the twin Arrows for 2016+ Triumphs - one with a removable baffle (EU version) and one without (ROW version).

Wish I'd picked up a set at less than half-price though (I paid £975) :weary_face:

I tried them baffles in, before cutting the restrictive hole off the ends of each baffle (which is a good compromise). Then I chucked the baffles aside and have never look back.

I got close to buying an SC Project S1, but can't bring myself to ditch the Arrows as I love the view of the open rear wheel and think that the twin exhausts give the Speed Triple its beefy stance.

Thanks for posting the video - I'll be giving mine some 'stick' treatment shortly, as they wobble (fitted by the dealer) - and will also fit the carbon heat shield that I got for Christmas :laughing:

15. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Right then topbanana - the stick treatment was completely successful on my wobbly right can. Ten minute job, of which 8 minutes was spent looking for the right piece of wood :expressionless:

I replaced the heat shield with the new carbon part from CarbonFBR.com - it's a subtle change that blends in and actually takes the focus away from that area. It looks like this:

Speed_Triple_R_HeatShield_01.jpg
    Speed_Triple_R_HeatShield_02.jpg
    Speed_Triple_R_HeatShield_03.jpg
    Speed_Triple_R_HeatShield_04.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  16. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    I like the carbon, Mr Triple.
    But you don't get o lot of £100, and the problem with carbon is its like tattoos. You just keep getting more.£££££

17. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Don't I know it!

I've kept it subtle because I don't like the overdone look - so just the rear hugger (to match the standard front mudguard), chain guard, heat shield and the tail light surround. I'm considering the frame in-fills, but they are expensive considering the small amount of carbon that's actually visible (although it does tick my 'it's all in the detail' box).

Anyway...very pleased with the exhaust fix and can't understand why I didn't investigate earlier. Jack Lilley Triumph have always been very good, but they did tell me that the wobble couldn't be cured and it was "just like that".

:party: Happy New Year!

18. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    i did look at carbon frame covers that went from near headstock to almost footplates,by Fook they were several hundreds pounds each did look cool though seen them on a bike last yr i nearly bought.

19. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    There's something strangely ironic about buying weight-saving carbon and adding it to the bike without replacing a part - which obviously adds weight. That sounds too much for my liking, but no doubt looked the part.

Getting back to exhausts for a moment...what do I do about the slightly-satin carbon twill Arrow exhaust tips that don't match the glossy plain weave? Will people laugh and stare?

I think I just need to ride the bike more :p

• Like Like x 1
  20. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    you could mask them up and use glossy clear coat i seen an article in mcn about sanding and clearcoating carbon parts,it was regarding taking out scratches in carbon mud guard it surprised me how good the finish was and how simple job was.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    You just haven't cleaned them enough times yet! :)
    I use a cap full of Mer in a bowl of water when cleaning the bike and over time I think they've gradually got shinier. You could obviously accelerate the process with a full-on polish.

• Like Like x 1
  22. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I've repaired a stone chip with a dab of clear coat and then polished it up - it completely disappeared.

Now why didn't I think of simply polishing them up :confused:?

They shouldn't need further clear coat...I guess it's just the finish that needs some work. I've got a variety of polishing compounds, so I'll give it a go (starting with something gentle).

23. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I spent some time in the garage this morning, hand polishing my tip :D

The finish has glossed up a little and they do look much better (although no amount of rubbing will make the weave match) :)

IMG_6939.JPG

• Like Like x 2