Tiger 800 Do Any Of The Stock Screens On The New 800s Actually Work?

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by cliverdee, Nov 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    There's my Tiger (the other blue one) before I fitted the Madstad screen. Must have been the GMU and it must have been raining - my gloves are drying on the engine! :cool:

2. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    I positioned the screen to look just over the top... the screen height being between my chin & nose so that the airflow was directed over my head. I don’t think it’s a good idea to have the height set so you look through the screen as when it rains you can’t see through it for rain drops at slow to normal speeds. .. there is a lot of adjustment to get it just right for you... I’m 5’11” and the 20” screen was perfect. .. hope useful :cool:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    Well spotted Steve :)

I should add btw that before I fitted the Madstad I had tried both the stock screen and the Triumph Adventure screen, both of which were effin useless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Bike_Addict

Bike_Addict New Member

May 9, 2021
    United States
    Hey. did u ever get that Madstad screen to work on your street twin? Im 6ft and was thinking about the 20" for my t120, but getting mixed reviews. Any thoughts?

5. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Not a great success for me on the street scrambler as was noisy & caused turbulence despite the adjustment for height & rake. If I wanted to tuck my head down and lean into the screen then a higher speed could be achieved without being blown off the bike but as my riding is usually around 50mph the screen adversely affected the airflow and the bike is distinctly better with no screen at all. At 5’ 11” the 20” screen was possibly not tall enough for me even at its highest but may be ok on a T120 with the less upright riding position. ..you may want to think about a 22” as you’re 6’ tall. Hope useful and of course I’m just giving my personal experience which is naturally affected by my older age and bad tinnitus (I do wear proper ear plugs! ) cheers

6. Russell Cummings

Russell Cummings New Member

Feb 16, 2021
    Burleigh Heads - Australia
    I've recently upgraded the screen on my 2016 Tiger 800 XRT to a Puig Touring screen that is marginally better the standard crappy one. I still had a lot of buffeting at any setting and have added a cheap Ebay clip-on visor which has made all the difference (see photos). FYI: Puig does their wind tests on the Touring Screen at 150km/h which is crazy. How many of us tour at 150km/h?

IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

7. GrumpyGranpa

GrumpyGranpa Member

Mar 27, 2021
    Nottingham
    Anyone find an additional screen that fits without drilling ect, let me know