Designed By Committee, Why So Many Different Fixing Types?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by JerryBB, Nov 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales

hopefully the one I got are good enough to get the fekkers off and I will then replace the torx with allen or hex bolts

2. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    I thought of dropping the top of the shocks off to give a bit more room and trying a socket wrench on them.

I copper grease all bolts as I remove/replace them

• Like Like x 2
  3. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    I bought a few packets of different size dome allen bolts ready for such uses, as well as normal allen bolts, hopefully I have something in the correct size already

the weather is so poor I might go out and have another go at it, as I have torx bits that will fit a socket wrench that are not made of butter

• Like Like x 2
  4. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    I tried again using a small socket to allow use of the torx bit in a mini socket wrench then replaced the awkwardly placed torx with an allen bolt which I can use an allen socket to tighten and remove, thanks for the input DD and Richard G

thruxton type seat and new grab rail p4 detail.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  5. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    It would be nice if manufacturers used anti-seize compound on building the bikes but of course that would bump up the price and take away work from some dealers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    I will refer you to the 1920 vintage Wooler motorbikes a feature of them was the use of very few bolt sizes and the trademark was a double ended spanner as this was the only one required. It was a fore aft flat twin four stroke with advanced suspension, plungers at both ends. Nicknamed "flying banana" with a yellow fuel tank that wrapped around the steering head, 55 mph and 300 miles + on a gallon in a test run.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1