Featured Daytona 900 Cafe racer project (CRK kit)

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Cafe Hinckley, Nov 14, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    Dont think be doing much on mine this weekend, decorating !! :(

2. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    you could always sell your old wheels to offset the cost.....are they in good nick??

3. RoadSprocket

RoadSprocket Active Member

May 24, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Posted to subscribe, great progress so far! Also loving the DIY bench.

4. Cafe Hinckley

Cafe Hinckley Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Big day in the man cave and thought i would share a few pic (i know how much everyone loves them)

First up - my new spray booth (aka £30 gazebo from Amazon) ...

IMG_4107.JPG

and you know what it worked a treat ...

IMG_4116.JPG

Got a good little system going and moved parts through the bay and onto drying station 1 ...

IMG_4118.JPG

Wife was not so keen but it did the job. All parts now inside drying and ready for assembly tomorrow ...

IMG_4127.JPG

More tomorrow !!

Now its time for a beer!

• Like Like x 6
  5. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    Lol looks great idea.

6. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    All in all a good weekend in the man shed.....

Shock and pivots reassembled

IMG_4133.JPG

and married back to the frame ...

IMG_4135.JPG

Old wheels back on for now as I don't want to get the shiny one dirty ...

IMG_4137.JPG

New rear sub frame fitted...

IMG_4140.JPG

Wiring going back in too ...

IMG_4141.JPG

Had a quick check of the Arrows on the bike and they look amazing (IMO) but still need to do some work on the footrest before i can have a proper check. Pretty safe to say that I will definitely make it work.

Unfortunately the battery I ordered is not the right size so need to get that returned - someone said they had found a cheaper version that does that job - Anyone??

Finally the only problem of the weekend was on the front forks. One of the pinch bolts is completely stripped. I tried all my tools but had no joy so ended up using one of those screw extractors, which naturally broke. Now I am a bit stuck. If i try a bigger extractor from the back would that work ?? Alternatively I could try and use a really strong epoxy and glue something into the head of the bolt and then grip that?

Any advice appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  8. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Basically its part number 21 in the diagram.

As its a pinch bolt you can see the front and the back of it.

9. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    Hi is the thread extractor snapped off flush or is there enough that you can get it out with pair of grips, or use a dot punch and hammer to chip it out as they are strong but brittle so should come out.

Couple of options then.

Drill the bolt all the way through with drill to suit the thread extractor, soak with plus gas, heat the fork up, being aluminium will expand little more than the steel bolt. Insert thread extractor and try again, the fact you have drilled all the way through will help the bolt "collapse" a little.

Option 2

Drill and tap the opposite side of the bolt 6 mm use a stainless bolt so stronger and tighten it up heat up again and tighten up so bolt unscrews opposite side.

10. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire

11. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    Hi on the battery front i got a cheaper one as reccomended by Ian at CRK, see his reccomendations below

Iwent for the Moto batt one fits perfect and turns over/ starts no problem

SPS LIPO 12B - Top Spec - http://elitemotorcycleservices.co.uk/sps-lithium-ion-batteries-178-p.asp

Motobatt MBTZ10S - Good Spec - much cheaper ! http://www.mandp.co.uk/index.php/default/mbtz10s-motobatt-battery.html

12. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Thanks Boothy,

Although i am not sure I have the equipment to go the heating route. I think my mistake was using too small an extractor from the front side so may try a larger one from the back side drilled in deeper and see if that works.

Failing that I may try and find a local machine shop.

On the battery front I am seeing if WEMOTO have the right spec battery (they stock Skyrich) and will exchange it. If not I will have to go for one of the others. SO the Motobatt is not lithium Iron - I'm guessing it's much heavier?

Cheers

13. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    Still very light

14. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Good Sirs (and ladies),

I have come up with a few options in terms of paint schemes and was wondering what the general opinion would be. I have taken some inspiration from the old Triumph military bikes and also some elements of the classic cafe racers and come up with the following ....

Option 1

Option 1.jpg

Option 2

Option 2.jpg

Option 3

Option 3.jpg

Option 4

Option 4.jpg

Again please excuse my crude graphics skills but i think you get the overall idea.

I will be meeting with the painter in the next few weeks and will be discussing gloss vs matte vs satin but I think for this to work it cant really be gloss.

What do you think ??

15. Jennoe

Jennoe Active Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Newport Sth Wales
    For me it has to be ..option 4.........main colour in Matt....stripes in high gloss......this is only my opinion....other opinions will be available.................and the bike look incredible

16. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    Hi dont think layouts are crude at all, could you send me a blank version so can finalise my design , thanks think the lat design best layout, not big fan of matt colours, although if you want the "military" look its the way to go.

17. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    First one its clean

18. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Hi Boothy,

Sure i can send it over - would you like the parts white on a coloured background??

And yes Military style in gloss just doesn't seem to work. I personally don't have an issue with matt don't want to end up with a nightmare to clean bike.

I am torn on the designs - 4 is definitely most cafe racerish but its quite busy and like JTD says there is something to be said for a clean design. So far 4 seems to be the most popular though.

19. adethetrade

adethetrade Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    cannock
    Hi for me it's the first one, noticed you are using the old Triumph logo will it stay that way? ade

20. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Thanks Ade,

Thats just the logo i grabbed off the net but the ones i have are like this

[​IMG]

I have gone with silver outline and this will then be matched by the lighter of the colour stripes with the darker being black.