Featured Daytona 900 Cafe racer project (CRK kit)

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Cafe Hinckley, Nov 14, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cafe Hinckley

Cafe Hinckley Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    I did warn you :)

2. cavsp3

cavsp3 Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Highlands
    You really have taken the CRK conversion to a whole new league mate. Great to see what others have done too. Most are just variations on a theme, mainly distinguished by their individual paint job but you have definitely gone the extra mile here. It's been great following what you've done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. cavsp3

cavsp3 Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Highlands
    What did you use to seal around the coils in the cylinder head aperture?

4. cavsp3

cavsp3 Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Highlands
    It's hard to justify spending more than the actual bike is worth on the forks but wish I could :confused:

5. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Cheers fella,

For me it was always about the journey and to have something that is uniquely mine. I know its not to everyone taste but that's the whole point! We don't embark on these things to create another generic motorcycle for everyone!

I am loving the experience and all the things I am learning along the way - not to mention all the people I have met.

I would recommend it to anyone!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    I got the coils from Paul Messenger and they are specifically made up for the T300's so come with everything you need to just plug and play. He is a member on this forum (t552) and a lovely chap so reach out to him if you are after some.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    I already broke that when i had the wheels built so I am in it for the long haul :) There is no denying this bike will be a labor of love!

• Like Like x 1
  8. cavsp3

cavsp3 Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Highlands
    ah right, thanks for that. I have already fitted mine but just sourced the biggest rubber grommet I could find on Ebay and cut a hole in the top to slide the coil through. It looks and works fine but noticed how yours looked like they were a factory item.

9. cavsp3

cavsp3 Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Highlands
    I feel the same about mine mate. Started building it in 2016, finished early 2017 but then moved to the Scottish Highlands and have had a few outings up here and was thinking maybe not the right bike up here but didn't want to sell it as like you say....it's your own individual bike. Was out on Monday and did a 200 mile ride....Ullapool, up the west coast to Durness, along north coast to Tongue and back down to Lairg through Altnaharra. I absolutely loved the ride, and so glad I did it and that bike is going nowhere. Have started to make a list of what else I am going to do to her now :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    I guess you could ask him about where he gets the gromets from - the ones i have are very good and have a lip so make a very good seal with the engine casing.

11. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    You got any pics of yours mate??

12. cavsp3

cavsp3 Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Highlands
    Here she is from the ride on Monday, based on a 1993 Trident 900

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_3671.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  13. cavsp3

cavsp3 Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Highlands
    I had a support vehicle with me (Tiger 800 with can of petrol), managed to get 87 miles before reserve and then did another 10 miles to reach home without running out. So I reckon it has a decent enough range to use up here where fuel stops can be a bit sparse in some areas. I am running it on 140 mains and was doing between 40-60 most of the time which is ample up here on our roads.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Looks sweet mate - was going to ask you about riding position but seems the Trophy base gives you a far more forgiving setup. Mine is a bit aggressive but aiming to sort that when i redo the front end.

You should deffo go for a black number plate to finish off the look :)

15. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    Hi like the look of the instrument fairing, can you post some more pics of it, are you using original Triumph instrument Pod or CRK Item. Cheers Paul

16. cavsp3

cavsp3 Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Highlands
    It is based on the Trident but I used Sprint Sport bars which are a good compromise between Daytona clip ons and the higher Trident bars. Easier on an old mans back lol.
    I do have a black plate for it and should put it back on, just swapped them for the MOT.

17. cavsp3

cavsp3 Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Highlands
    Hi Paul.....I am using the original trident instrument pod which I think looks really neat and I prefer to the home made look of the CRK module.
    Not sure what make the fairing is , might be Puig. Came with the Trident years ago and have used it on various bikes since.

FullSizeRender-5.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. cavsp3

cavsp3 Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Highlands
    Incidentally....didn't mean to hi-jack the thread....apologies Mr Hinckley.

19. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    h
    No worries - this tread has gone of on tangents many a time and its a great way to learn more. It will soon return once i start round 2 works!

• Like Like x 2
  20. cavsp3

cavsp3 Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Highlands
    That's great thanks. I have followed (stalked) this thread with interest. As you say, great way to learn and get ideas from. Great to talk to others who have gone down the similar route.
    I thought long and hard about chopping the Trident as it was really nice but argued that at least I would have a very good starting point for my CRK project and so it has proved.