Featured Daytona 900 Cafe racer project (CRK kit)

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Cafe Hinckley, Nov 14, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. matt botterman

matt botterman Active Member

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    [QUOTE="

1) Change out of front end for USD forks (Looking into the Tiger 1050 or Ohlins options at the moment)

:)[/QUOTE]

Watching this with interest

2. Cafe Hinckley

Cafe Hinckley Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    May take a while for the mortgage to come through to go the Ohlins route :)

I thought you were selling yours - have you decided to keep it or are you building another one??

3. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    SELL IT!!!!! NEVER!!!!

Tempted to do a 1200 roadster with a sidecar!!

Mine is a keeper! It was my first project and built in tribute to my father who first introduced me to dirty hands and motorcycles.

USDs would be nice in the long run but then I think id have to change wheels and I like my glitter turd brown wheels

A bikini fairing is likely to happen.

Nitros kit is less likely but on my radar!

I already have a Hagon shock on the back of mine but shiney USD forks would look sweet!

4. Pete84

Pete84 New Member

Jan 28, 2018
    uk
    Brill, thanks for the first hand advice! Do you have a link to the charger that you use with it?

Plans sound great, will certainly be keeping an eye on this. Ive just had first baby and can't believe how much time they actually take!!

5. Dodge

Dodge New Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    Likewise, this has been on my mind also... following your endeavour with much interest too... I'm already searching for rear shock options, Ohlins would be nice also, I swear by Ohlins, I've run their suspension for years, bikes cars etc. maybe over kill for the needs of this bike but gold and shiny all the same...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    yes the way i see it - its going to be a lot of effort no matter which way you go so you may as well do it properly.

Trying to find out if any of the Ohlins options would work and what it would take to get a bill of materials and can go form there.

Anything is possible mechanically - its just the financial part that's hard :)

7. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    Cheapest way I think is to buy an onld generation 1 aprilia rsv which will have ohlins at both ends. You can find them for 2.5k then break it!

They have lightweight wheels which seem to be worth 800 alone! If you can sell frame, motor, fairings you can get a lot of the money back! People break them just to sell the ohlins and wheels!

Might be a bit much work though!

8. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    But will they fit??

T300's run unusually long 820mm forks on the front. Then you have to think about having caliper mounts, spindle size, yolk offset all to align for it to work. Chances of that are pretty slim but even if they do you would still be left with second hand stuff that would probably require a bit of work to be at their best and still be old technology seeing as though they are the same age as our bike anyway.

My dad always used to say - I dont want to buy another mans problems :)

So far the closest thing spec wise seems to be the Triumph Tiger 1050 as they are the correct length and have the correct caliper mounts. May still require triple tree work though depending on rake angle though but that information is really hard to come by as it is not normally published.

Think this is gong to take some serious engineering any way you decide to go.

9. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire

Hi Had been looking into the USD Fork conversion, if you google usd forks triumph 900 comes up with a wealth of info about different fork options from a guy who has obviously done numerous in the past, although none on earlier triumphs such as ours although still worth a read to get pointed in the right direction, looks like Haybusa forks are right size for headstock bearings etc and spindle dia.

10. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    Somewhere in the archives of builds and projects there is a post of a very nice t 300 which for some reason BSA stickers on the tank (that might jog someone's memory )and this piece of art had 675 forks..might be worth a look

11. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    Somewhere in the archives of builds and projects there is a post of a very nice t 300 which for some reason BSA stickers on the tank (that might jog someone's memory )and this piece of art had 675 forks..might be worth a look
    If you Google xtr pepo /the rocket man it should come up with pictures and spec

12. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Thanks guys - believe me I have been doing all sorts of research and it definitely does not look like an easy job unless you have access to a very good machine shop and a thick wallet.

Think i am finding most difficult is getting all the correct info like fork length and yolk offset to try and find the best match. Does not look like anything will just go in so have to be very careful with where you start otherwise its going to require a lot of custom parts.

I love that Rocket Bike (Legend) but that guy owns hi own engineering firm so you can imagine how much work has gone into that. Looks awesome though.

I will keep you all updated but first up will be the carbs/dyno and coil upgrades.

Cheers
    CH

13. Dodge

Dodge New Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Buckinghamshire
    Wise approach... it is a mine field, It has to be right! I had a mate who put a 2006 ZX10R front end on a 1996 ZX7R, it looked all good, and at low speed didn't feel much different but it completely screwed up the geometry and was impossible to set up, in layman terms it put the front end castor in a position it made the front wheel act like a shopping trolley wheel... I never rode the bike in anger but I was told at higher speeds it got very scary... I think the bike also had an incorrect length Ohlins rear shock which didn't help... I have a loose connection to a fella who runs an engineering shop that I've talked to about this before and there was a lot of air sucking going on... personally I may wave a white flag on this for the Daytona and accept and live with the original set up, after all I'm never gona spank this bike around a track...

• Like Like x 1
  14. cavsp3

cavsp3 Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Highlands

I do know somebody who fitted Street Triple R forks to a Thunderbird 900. Not sure about any differences in the headstock of the T/Bird though. The guy does own a custom shop so that obviously helps.

15. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    I am making an appointment to go and see this man ...

brownies.jpeg

brownies2.jpeg

Started off as a Trophy 900 and he seems to have done a lot of the stuff I would like to do.

Ill let you know how it goes!

• Like Like x 3
  16. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Hi all,

I have finally made up my mind and am ready to embark on the second phase of this build:

I spent some time with the boys at DynoTech last week and got the new carbs and coils fitted. Although we didn't get any more power out of her (this was not the aim) we did really sort out the power curve and the air/fuel mixture and she is running even better than she did before!!

IMG_6710.JPG IMG_6803.jpg IMG_7319.jpg

The next step is to change out the front end. After much deliberation I have opted not to go down the USD route. Firstly the amount of work/cost required is just going to be beyond my reach and I also think it will change the character of the bike too much. I have therefore decided to stick with RWU forks and have gone for these ...

Ohlins FG621.PNG

This wont require too much work as they are 800mm long and have 43mm tubes. I already managed to track down the Axial brake adaptors via trustry Fleabay so its just speedo and fender mounts to sort.

I then want to drop the head profile as I am not a big fan of the gauges sitting so high up. The side profile of the bike just doesn't work for me and finally managed to track down the unit that should sort this for me.

daytona-vintage-headlight-5-3-4-inch-in-full-black-finish-889013.jpg

I will be putting a slightly different multifunction gauge in but you get the idea.

The rear will the also be getting some loving and have Mark building me a custom rear shock to even things out ....

ohlins rear shock.jpg

This will be a winter job though as i will get the swing arm powder coated and replace all the bearings at the same time.

Will update once i have the bits and start fettling!!

• Like Like x 9
  17. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Cracking project mate :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire

Hi Could you tell me where you spurced the Ohlin front forks form?

19. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    They are a standard part :

Ohlins Retro 43 (FG620/621) - 43mm Conventional/RWU Forks

so there are many places you can get them from. (620 is gold and 621 is black)

I am however getting mine from Mark at MHRacing - he is the Ohlins whisperer and apparently what he doesn't know about suspension isin't worth knowing!

PS: brace yourself before you search for the cost :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. cavsp3

cavsp3 Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Highlands
    Gorgeous but unfortunately way out of my price range.