Cleaning, polishing and blinging Tips

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by JimDiesel, Mar 23, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    WD40 also works great on Black plastic and engine parts....

2. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    WD40 is like magic!! Who knew so many uses existed for a product made from fish oil....

• Like Like x 1
  3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Fish oil.. Learn something new every day....

4. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    However just read another factoid on WD40 which states its not fish oil but indeed a mineral oil....
    Seems the company have the rights to never disclose its true ingredient.....

5. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    For a simple water displacing aerosol it has so many uses. As for its contents, that will always be a mystery to try to prevent imitations. Having said that, in my work i get through loads of the stuff but now buy an identical product in a 5 litre can thats considerably cheaper which i decanter into a spray bottle.

6. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Nice, which is??????

7. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  8. workshyfop

workshyfop Member

Feb 26, 2013
    I didn't think it had fish oil in it, but heard it's some form of petroleum distillate developed by NASA (hence the rocket on the tin) WD40 stands for water displacement & it's active for 40 days. Of course that may well be an urban myth. :rolleyes:

9. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    #29 P19DJG, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    Almost correct Tony, but no cigar! Lol

The product originally came about whilst looking to develop a rust preventative solvent and de-greaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three scientists/technicians at the San Diego Rocket Chemical Company, hence the rocket picture on the can.

Its name however originates from the project that was to find a "water displacement" compound, success came with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40.

The Corvair Company bought it in bulk to protect their Atlas missile parts. The workers were so pleased with the product, they began stealing it to use at home. The executives decided there might be a consumer market for it and put it in aerosol cans & made it available to the masses.

Apparently its a carefully guarded recipe known only to four people. Only one of them is the "brew master."

• Like Like x 3
  10. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Cheers P19.. Placed my order... I use loads, it's so versatile. Have used AFC50 but at £14 a can its almost as expensive as petrol/ Gold... Moved onto a scotoiler version but think WD is the boss... This will keep me lubed for ages... I spray the engine and the nuts & bolts after washing to protect them. Also its good for wiping on the rear wheel (not tyre) to protect it from chain grease...

• Like Like x 1
  11. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Your welcome mate. If you need to carry the COSHH data as i do in my company van then you can download it off their website :smile:

12. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Its for personal use so no need for the COSHH.. but thanks...:upyeah:

13. workshyfop

workshyfop Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Thanks Duncan, as me old mate Michael Caine would (allegedly) say, 'not a lot of people know that'. No cigar indeed, but happy to be corrected

• Like Like x 1
  14. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham