Cleaning, polishing and blinging Tips

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by JimDiesel, Mar 23, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Ok all, as we are obviously getting a delayed summer, we have plenty of time to fiddle, polish and clean our pride n joys....
    So what's your secrets???
    Best methods??
    Favourite products??
    Best place to buy??
    Stuff you wouldn't go near??
    Best lubes??
    Do's N Don'ts??

I'm sure between us we can create a full 'how to' on keeping the shiny bits shiny and the greasy bits greased!!:upyeah:

2. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    #2 P19DJG, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
    Always use Autosmart cleaning products personally, mainly because i get them free :cool: Plus most of their products are just as good if not better than Autoglym.

http://www.autosmart.co.uk/

Hazsafe TFR to get the grime off, Autowash shampoo to wash it, Tardis to remove any tar deposits then polish with Platinum or Mirror Image. Dress plastics with Pazzaz or Tango. Then apply Supaguard Paint Protection to tank & fenders, Supaguard Leather Care to the seats. Glass Glow on the speedo/tacho glass plus light lenses & headlight, aerosol can of Stardust to buff up all the chrome :upyeah:

WARNING!!!! Do not dress the tyres with tyre slick!Trust me, ive seen it done & the end result is not pretty :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  3. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Ill start,

Keeping them Arrows looking sharp - the best stuff I have found for any metal finish is 'Meguiers NXT all metal polish' polishes without detriment and coats with anti tarnish and anti corrosion coating.

Paint work - well I try not to use harsh polish and stick to using a Carnuba wax like P21S. Doesn't damage the paint, looks awesome when done and dead easy to use... If I have to use a polish it is met or auto glym.

Plastics N Tyres - Poorboys Bold N Bright, brilliant lasting cleanser, no streaks or grease... Brilliant

Engine casing N Wheels - there is only one option here for me too, and that is the miracle they call WD40!! No other spray compares, you can use this on so much!! Makes all the black bits gleam, disperses the water from the hard to reach nooks n crannies, doesn't attract dust either.. Use it on your mirrors too... Awesome

NEVER use hot water to wash your bike, especially in winter, it accelerates the corrosion effects of the salt!

I use micro fibre cleaning mits, n tonnes of micro fibre clothes for wiping down but change them after say ten mins as they trap fine dust n grit... Use a small sponge to apply the Carnuba wax, and I use a micro fibre drying cloth rather than a traditional shammy leather...

All of the above I would imagine you can get from anywhere but I get mine off the net, a website called 'Mottogeek' I think that's how you spell it..

I learnt these bits from a detailer I once new, he told me loads of tricks but I forgot most... If I remember ill post them..

:upyeah:

• Like Like x 3
  4. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    What tricks do you wanna know Jim? I was Autoglym trained a few years back & also spent time doing smart repairs.

5. flapinflares

flapinflares Active Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Leiestershire
    :upyeah: I was in the trade for some years myself, plus have shown bikes and classic cars over the years. my tip is once you have finished cleaning and polishing and its been under the sheet for a week or 2, and you want to bring it back to that just cleaned look. I use AUTO GLYM instant show shine. Its for paintwork,plastics, perspex, vinyl and rubber. spray all over and buff up. J D !

• Like Like x 1
  6. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Same product as Stardust :upyeah:

7. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Omg you guys are legends.... Smart repairs??? As in chip away type affairs dude??
    You pair are gonna regret offering solutions.... Ill have a think...:upyeah:

8. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Please don't shout at me but here we go:
    Warm water & fairy liquid.
    Jet wash kept away from electrics and bearings.
    Petrol leaf blower to dry the bike. (no idea why I get strange looks from my neighbours)
    A polish with Mr Sheene
    Lube the chain (not that dry lube stuff)

9. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    #9 P19DJG, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
    Seriously mate.... DO NOT USE FAIRY LIQUID TO CLEAN YOUR BIKE

That is seriously strong stuff & will take all the protection previously applied to your paintwork clean off, polish, wax the lot! Leaving your paintwork completely unprotected from the elements.
    Have you ever seen what that shit does to a greasy frying pan, it is a very strong de-greaser & can damage rubber too by drying it out due to its salt content. All fairy liquid type products contain salt as its used as a thickening agent otherwise it would be really runny. The salt will speed up the corrosion process of any bare & unprotected metals on your bike.
    Now think about it..... Will you use it on your pride & joy again?

Regarding Mr.Sheen... Its ok as a dressing polish but its no replacement for a real wax/polish to be honest & provides very limited protection against the elements. At the end of the day its what the wife uses when shes dusting around the house which doesnt need protecting from the weather. Mr.Sheen type products are used in the trade on showroom vehicles that have already had their coats of polish & Mr.Sheen is just used on a daily basis to remove greasy finger prints etc.
    Mr.Sheen is basically a can of silicon & is known in the trade as bullshit in a can. Quick & easy to apply, looks like the car has been polished, smells like its been polished, water beads up & runs off like its been polished BUT isnt a polish & provides very little if any protection.

Also, just a personal opinion but why lube a chain after you have cleaned the bike. The best time to lube your chain is after a ride out when the chain is still warm. That way the lube will thin itself out & get into all the little nooks & crannies.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Never knew fairly liquid was so leathal. Guess you can learn something from an Internet forum:upyeah:

• Like Like x 3
  11. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Every day`s a school day mate :smile:

12. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Motorcycle screens & helmet visors are not very scratch resistant & removing bugs in the summer months can easily scratch the plastic.
    When you get home from a ride out, get a clean damp towel & drape it over the screen/visor & leave it for a while. The moisture from the towel will soak into the bugs & make them easy to wipe off. Then clean the screen/visor with a glass cleaner of your choice & a micro-fibre or micro-optic cloth. Do not use tissue as its quite coarse & can scratch soft plastics quite easily.

The above method can also be using on motorcycle fairings.

• Like Like x 2
  13. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Pig, any glass cleaner?
    On the subject of helmets, I have a Matt black Schuberth,
    a) what is the best thing to clean it with?
    b) any recommendations for dealing with tiny stone chips?

Any recommendations for maintaining and cleaning satin carbon fibre??

14. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    #14 P19DJG, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
    Hi Jim,

Any glass cleaner will do as long as its not the cream variety. Alcohol based glass cleaners work best as they "flash" off.

Regarding the matt finish helmet, personally i would clean with warm soapy water. Never been too keen on using chemicals on crash helmets & glass cleaner for the visor. I always use a polish on my visors too as this helps water bead up & slide off when riding.

As for stone chips, if you are a starting with immaculate paintwork then you can simply apply clear vinyl film to the main impact areas for protection.

The best way to get rid of stone chips is to just simply touch them in with the correct colour-matched paint. NEVER use the touch up brush that comes with it, the footprint is too big & will make the stone chip unsightly... I use a pin or a the end of a paper clip, that way you can drop the paint directly into the stone chip.
    If a panel has quite a few stone chips then its best to just get it resprayed then apply the protective clear vinyl film.

As for the satin finish carbon fibre. Once the bike is washed, clean with alcohol based glass cleaner to rid of any other impurities Then dress with a plastic dressing. These can be purchased in a matt or silk finish. Alternatively a silicon based product like Mr.Sheen, Autosmart Stardust or similar product from Autoglym etc will do the job.

Always read the labels, one of the Autoglym dressing products (cant remember which one) after spraying on you can either (a) leave it to dry naturally for a matt finish or (b) buff to a shine.

Hope this helps Jim

• Like Like x 3
  15. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Top advice... P19DJG
    I sometimes use Wurth Active Bodywork cleaner... Very easy to use and it keeps the bugs down.... Spray on wipe off...
    After a quick blast it saves a full on wash...
    Dont get me wrong it's no substitute for a proper wash but it does a decent job in between....

• Like Like x 1
  16. Big Paul

Big Paul New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    I,ve been using vulcanet bike wipes for a quick "touch up clean and find them fantastic,you can clean screens, engine, wheels ,paintwork, chrome the whole lot with them. they were recommended by MCM and I got them mail order 80 wipes for £24 inc posting from Infinity motorcycles, I use 2 to keep my bike clean and simply buff up with microfibre cloth supplied, BRILLIANT product.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jonny

jonny Active Member

Mar 26, 2013
    sunny cheshire
    on black plastic and switch gear etc i have always used auto glym black bumper restorer (i will find the proper name tomorrow, not going out now). Best stuff i have found for that kind of thing, comes up ace. I also use their polish or i have 'mer' polish as well, although that sure isn't as good as the ads made out.

18. Big Paul

Big Paul New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    met a guy today on a rideout who told me "back to black" is brilliant on black plastic and even black engine parts, not sure who manufacturer is ?

19. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Back to Black was a single released by Amy Whinehouse in 2007. It was also the title for her 2nd album which was also the last album released in her life time. R.I.P Amy, you were such a talent & taken from us much too soon :frown:

But on a different note the other Back to Black is made by Simoniz. :wink:

• Like Like x 4
  20. workshyfop

workshyfop Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Unlike Amy's album, Back to Black by Simoniz wasn't that impressive. In my opinion.

• Like Like x 3