Featured Chain Maintenance

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by David Masson, Jan 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Masson

David Masson Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2019
    Uk
    Thanks for subscribing it’s great to have you onboard! All the best mate!

2. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Senior Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Maesteg, South Wales
    I like the bobber BTW and I've never liked the Bonnie style bikes (to me they just feel like I'm not old enough yet :D ). Sweet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Senior Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Maesteg, South Wales
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    Thanks gents for the chain lube info. Only have 90 miles on my new T120 Bonneville and figure I should give it it's first lube.

I am late to the rodeo but have a question regarding the use of kerosene to clean the chain. It was mentioned that most new chains are lubed internally. Will the use of kerosene be detrimental to the internal lube??

5. Carl556

Carl556 Senior Member

Nov 13, 2019
    Durham Uk
    Absolutely not. Spray it on, leave for 5 mins then wipe off with a rag. Then give it a coat of gear oil EP90. Cheapest and quickest way of keeping a chain clean and lubricated IMO :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    Thanks Carl!
    Now, just 2 more questions from the forum:
    I see that the OP used WD40 penetrant to clean his chain; would that be detrimental to the internal lube?

Lastly, anyone know if the chains on 2023 Bonnevilles have internal lube?
    Many thanks

7. Traveler

Traveler Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2023
    Helena, Sweet Home Alabama
    I think all chains from the major mfgr's have had such chains for quite sometime now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Can't answer for WD40, but I'd stick to buying a decent quality cleaner, personally I use Muc-Off.

Pretty sure FortNine has done a video on chain lubes and cleaners.

I'd be gobsmacked if your Bonny wasn't internal lube as you call it; they certainly were up to 2020 and pretty much all OEM chains are now. Check the specs section at the back of the OHB, if it says O-ring then its internal lube. The maintenance section of the OHB will also tell you to check and lube the chain every 200-300 miles.

O-ring chains basically seal the chain grease between the bush and the pin that holds the two side plates together. The bush is the part that takes the most load (apart from where the chain connects with the sprocket) and therefore is in the most need of lubrication.

As an aside when looking on mfr's websites like DID or Regina etc., you'll see terms like O-ring, X-ring, Z-ring. O, X & Z, they all relate to the profile of the O-ring that keeps the oil between the bush and the pin.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RickM46

RickM46 Active Member

Oct 12, 2023
    US
    Thanks RevPaul, Traveler, and Carl for the info; next task for me is to clean and lube the chain; will use kerosene to clean, gearlube 80-90 to lube.

• Like Like x 1