Featured America Bike Gone To Bed For The Winter. Replaced With This.

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by SUPERGRANDAD, Oct 2, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SUPERGRANDAD

SUPERGRANDAD Noble Member

Jun 10, 2017
    Woodbridge Suffolk
    TY 80 My son had one when he was 9. Great bike. Maybe not just read the twin part of your comment. DOH.:eek:

2. SUPERGRANDAD

Jun 10, 2017
    Woodbridge Suffolk
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I think Henry Cole unearthed a few of these in his "Shed and buried" program!
    (I think they might still be buried!) :D

4. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    My 'Frantic' was in standard bike form but I do remember the chopper version.
    1973 when I got mine, cost £199 from memory.

5. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I must admit, I always wished I had got the 'Fizzy' for reliability, other mates had Garellis, by hell we had some fun.
    If you watch one of the series of 'This is England' there is a gang of moped riders, shows it just like it was, happy days.

• Like Like x 1
  6. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Was a crazy time for me, we had a group of us with anything from a Fantic chopper, Yam 250's/350's to (I kid you not) Graham Hill with his Z900 and me on my new Suzi 250, all meeting at the Monico, in many ways it mapped out a lot of the rest of my life!
    Coming back from the Agricultural Halls where the bike show was then held we took over Westminster Bridge, so many of us plod was powerless, G.H doing huge wheelies on the Z900 over the bridge until the coils fell off!:eek::rolleyes::grinning:
    ahhh, those were the days!

• Like Like x 3
  7. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Great memories :cool:

8. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hooligan!!

9. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    These were the times!
    My best mate had an Aspes Navajo
    IMG_0846.JPG

And me, I rode a Malaguti Fifty :p
    IMG_0847.JPG
    What a great feeling of freedom it was...

• Like Like x 3
  10. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Gary, that is and was KTM from Austria... :)

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  11. SUPERGRANDAD

Jun 10, 2017
    Woodbridge Suffolk
    Well 2 hrs of trials training today, bike and rider done good. Both still in one piece.:)
    Very pleased how it all came back, the balance of power, braking, distribution of weight etc, looks like I will enjoy my return.
    First trial Sunday. Will keep you posted.
    Ken.

• Like Like x 7
  12. Andy-K2

Andy-K2 Knowledge is power for which I have neither!

Apr 26, 2017
    Bristol UK
    How did it go Supergrandad?

13. SUPERGRANDAD

Jun 10, 2017
    Woodbridge Suffolk
    Well it went ok, not perfect but I learned so much. The trial in truth was not for beginners, I was informed before the start it was a testing route. In truth it was really hard. But not to be phased I got stuck in and attempted most sections. I was never going to be competitive and decided before rider and bike got hurt to retire.:( I very quickly learned not to use front brake on wet tree roots, you hit the deck quite hard. The bike was good and it will be nice to ride.
    I have now entered 2 more trials both with easy courses and local to my home. So they will be a better test.
    Been out on the practice ground today and it went well.
    So very pleased really and looking forward to the next outing.
    Ken.

Ken Trail 2 .jpg

• Like Like x 5
  14. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Man, that bike really is a beauty! So perfectly balanced and what I love most: form follows function!
    I am sure, you'll have tons of fun on it.

Cheers, Daniel

• Like Like x 1
  15. SUPERGRANDAD

Jun 10, 2017
    Woodbridge Suffolk
    Dan, the bike is so well balanced and easy to ride. You can with a little practice turn circles holding full lock. One of the training things I do is full lock figure of 8 turns. The gearing is really nice and it is amazing how slow you can go. The weight of the bike is only 85 kilo so that helps with the balance. :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Uncorrugated

Uncorrugated Senior Member

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    Absolutely brilliant. Well done on your first outing and enjoy the rest of the season.
    Keep us posted with how you get on.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SUPERGRANDAD

Jun 10, 2017
    Woodbridge Suffolk
    Cheers, I will keep the posts coming. I am Lucky to have a very local farmer who has a wood and land suitable for training so I intend to get out often. Certainly a good few times before the 22nd
    Ken

• Like Like x 1
  18. Uncorrugated

Uncorrugated Senior Member

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    Good to see another over 60 still competing in bike sport at some level. It's what keeps me young - and the cameraderie is superb too.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SUPERGRANDAD

Jun 10, 2017
    Woodbridge Suffolk
    Drag racing is your sport I see. That is something I have never done. I always go to the Ramsey Sprint on the Isle of Man TT week that has a good attendance and some weird and wonderful machines. Keep up the riding and good luck with
    your results.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SUPERGRANDAD

Jun 10, 2017
    Woodbridge Suffolk
    Nice reply, the twin shocks have a good following in Suffolk and it was easy to decide the way forward. I have to admit having owned myself the Bigger bikes of the Bultaco, Montesa and Armstrong just how this little Fantic is so well suited to trials. Staying safe and enjoying is for me the name of the game. NO medals or town hall clocks to be won. :)
    Ken.

• Like Like x 1