Featured Touring Back Hame

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by MoreT, Jun 12, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    Once more heading back north and homeward bound. Though I am regularly in Scotland (for work and family) via plane and automobile (trains I avoid), I haven't been back on 2 wheels since 2017.

2017 when I got hit by the beast from the east and closed the journey in one leg from Alness to West London. Not the longest ride I have done in a day but probably the worst. I had planned a camp out on Skye, something I haven't done in decades, but saw the weather coming in on the news. So I thought I would try and beat it home.

All was good down the A9 despite the new speed cameras. It was Leeds that got me. I knew I should have stopped in the Midlands and bagged a sofa at a friends but, ever the optimist, I thought I could ride out the other side of it. It just got worse and worse. In the end I was in pieces, threw away half my sodden gear, and swore off touring ever again.

So in 2 weeks I will be heading back. I have some work for a couple of days in sunny Aberdeen, so have packed shirts and decent shoes so as to clean up nice.

The camping gear is all stowed in a 65litre holdall to throw over the empty pillion. and I'm hoping I'll get the panniers fitted properly for all the other stuff. I have a new larger tent as I'm fed up of touching cloth at both ends and it's side entry so I don't have to do downward dog every time I enter and exit. Also for the first time I have the new fangled blackout liner so I won't be getting up with the sun.

The weekend will be in Skye but the rest of the week, bar a couple of days work, I will look up some old friends and generally bimble. I will revisit the the Struie, one of the best wee roads in the Highlands, with a great view of Dornoch Firth, somehow missed off the North Coast 500.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    Thought I would put up shots from 2017. Of course I have more recent ones but I wasn't on a bike, so doesn't count. :)

Bike Camp.jpg

Cairngorms.jpg

River Dee.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  3. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Senior Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    I will revisit the the Struie, one of the best wee roads in the Highlands, with a great view of Dornoch Firth, somehow missed off the North Coast 500.

All the better for the rest of us that this great little road has been missed off the NC500.
    It’s a great shame the NC500 was ever conceived.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    I forgot I had put up a couple of vids from this trip.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    And Natalie MacMaster, Catharsis!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    Ah there it is, thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    Sorting out kit, fettling the mounts and fitting new Dart Classic Screen. 11 hours of riding tomorrow. Early Start.

20220621_122958.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  8. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Have a great trip :grinning:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Have a great trip mate, stay safe!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    Enjoy your trip!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    Loaded up.
    Far too much gear because I was working several days. One side bag and the bag on top of my camping holdall. I did post post my laundry and work clothes home after work to lessen the load somewhat. Still I had all the laptop gear.

IMG-20220622-WA0001.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  12. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    1st day and final day long rides. Then spent 3 days in Perth ride from and to Dyce. Once camping at Glenbrittle I had a few days to ride around the island. As usual I had to cut short the trip and return early. I had wanted to spread the journey and not spend a day riding in the rain. but them's the breaks.

route.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  13. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    Posh camping in Perth as I was with family.

IMG-20220624-WA0000.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  14. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    Visited the Black Watch Museum in Perth.
    Busted camera so only have what I had on phone camera.

20220629_191308.jpg

20220630_152249.jpg

20220625_114518.jpg

20220625_114423.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  15. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Senior Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    Thanks very much for the write up of your solo trip. I haven't done a solo trip yet but do fancy doing one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Solo trips are great - no-one to hurry you or slow you down. And travelling alone always makes for great conversation where ever you stay.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2020
    UK
    You're not kidding about first and last day being long rides, definitely too much distance for me these days, especially with no real wind protection, well done for making it. It gives me something to aim at....
    I looked at the speedmaster a while back ( and thought it was great) but hard luggage seemed limited, what are those you have? are they quick release? Thanks.
    I was in the black watch museum a couple of years back, the restaurant was good and the folks at the museum desk helped me find out info about my great uncle, I was really impressed with them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @MoreT: Thanks for the report and the great photos!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    I mostly travel solo.
    I have travelled on organised trips and with 2 or 3 other bikes.

Though if arranging to travel with a small group I assume I am going solo until they turn up, as I have experienced many no shows.

I usually find someone to talk to, if I don't have friends or family at the waypoints. I once travelled across the States through Eaglerider and met up with other riders I had been talking to on a Harley forum for a couple of years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1