Featured A "little" Detour--after A Bicycle Crash And Two Broken Bones

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Sandi T, Jan 20, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Enjoy! We are going Sunday am to Fuertevetura.

• Like Like x 3
  2. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Same to you BB. Looks like we’re going to get good weather

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Certainly better than winter here! Happy holidays BC

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Poor lass is stuck at home, no chance of a bit of slap n' tickle for the next 6 months, and your on about your bloody sunny holidays !!!!

Jeez, some folk :confused:

:p:cool:

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @MrOrange! Well, I didn't get any fentanyl. I did take several Percocet and that was enough to swear me off those. Friends who'd taken that warned of the dangers of my "pipes" getting clogged. They weren't wrong. :p But we've got that problem handled. I must say however that the Percocet certainly help me drift off to sleep quite well a couple of evenings.

Speaking of drugs, this evening I get to have my first dram of Irish whiskey since my accident! :heart_eyes: As long as I'm a "good girl" I can have a nip or two. Hahaha.:joy::joy::joy: My ortho doc drinks whiskey and smokes cigars with Mr. Sandi so he understands my current dilemma and has given the go ahead. I do need to be a bit careful because I'm still taking a lot of ibuprofen and Tylenol. But I am definitely going to appreciate each lovely, silky, glorious sip! :grinning::heart::heart::yum

• Like Like x 7
  6. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Wow @freck! I'm sure sorry to hear how long your recuperation and therapy took. What patience you must have. Or at least have developed! It sounds like you made a smart decision to figure out whether or not riding was still for you. I'm very glad to know that the thrill did not go away for you and you're still out on the road.:heart_eyes: Riding a motorcycle is such a great therapy. :cool:

Thanks for sharing your story. Compared to the hell you went through my injuries and recovery should be much easier and quicker. Knowing you lived to tell the tale gives me more fortitude and courage. Thank you. :kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Little Mrs Sandi T.
    Daily check up. You know for once I got to disagree with you. Steve I am sure does not mind one bit and would do twice as much if you wanted. We as loving partners know that if the boot was on the other foot we would be cared for. If I were closer I would come and give him a daily break to go for a spin. If he trusted me with his Beautiful Wife.
    You just carry on getting better and remember we are all there feeling the pain and frustration for you. You need us we will carry you for as long as it takes. I have talked to my Irish Fairy people and asked if they can spare you an angel helper just till you are back on your feet.
    Hugs and Brotherly love Sandi & Steve + Annie..
    Joe download (1).jpg download.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Don't know how i missed this Sandi sorry your in such a state and hope your starting to feel a little better...thought it was going to be the bike but you certainly managed to do enough damage on one of the evil things with no motor, glad the surgeon is a friend as stuff like that helps...all the best and hope you have a speedy and relatively pain free recovery.:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

#109 MrOrange, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2020

I had oxycodone for my aches & pains following my bike off in 2017. I had them on repeat prescription, so still have a few kicking about, and usually take one of them if I'm suffering bad. Following my off, I always carried one with me when out on the bike, just to help with the pain in my ankle/knee/hip. But yeah, the constipation is an unwelcome side effect. :confounded::confounded::confounded: (yeah, i was pulling that face :laughing:)

There is a fine tale of me 'falling' off my bike at the GMU2018, which was actually me getting so sore, I had to get off the bike and lie down on the grass !!! Just so happened to coincide with Rich doing his annual GMU drop/fall, so the story grew arms and legs :eek::laughing::joy: .That'll teach me to not take the meds.:p

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Oh my, @MrOrange. I just have this funny visual of you getting off your bike and laying down in the grass! And I do know how those stories grow arms and legs. I wonder what "embellishment" of my off Mr. Sandi will be telling six months from now. :joy::joy: I was thankfully and amazingly able to get by only taking three Percocet total for which I am grateful and thankful. And now I completely understand why everybody said, ooh, Percocet, yikes, drink a lot, stay regular...all nice code phrases for "you're going to be in a world of hurt"! Fortunately things seem to be pretty much back to normal in that department at least. :);)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #111 Sandi T, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Thank you so much, @joe mc donald! I so appreciate your daily check ups and the get well motorcycle graphics today are awesome. I think the Irish fairy people sent me two angel helpers in the form of Steve and my best girlfriend, Dena. They have been lifesavers. And Annie is my canine angel, ever at my feet. Thank you for your daily encouragement, Joe! :):kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sandi T
    how are you today. I do hope you can smile. I know usually three days after the old depression does settle in but it doesn't last long. And it seem you are in great hands. Hope they don't spoil you to much. Just get better soon we need . back_up_and_running_biker_get_well_card-rda6979c231d84bf1b7d97c59f9d2929f_em0c8_261.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dear Sandi T
    Working tonight so an early wish for you speedy recovery. How are you still being spoilt. Really I don't have to ask that as I am positive Steve and Annie are on the case.
    Hugs and Wishes.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Sorry to hear about your mishap. I’ve ridden skinny tire and mountain bikes for the last 25 years, putting thousands of miles in. I’ve taken some bad spills on the dirt but just earned some good scars along the way. Never hit the pavement but it would surely be worse, as I’ve reached 60 mph descending some mountains around here. I’ve recently given up riding any bike on pavement that doesn’t have an engine, as drivers everywhere aren’t paying attention to anything and would rather mow you down as to take a few extra minutes to pass safely. I followed all road rules and would hug the shoulder to let a car pass quickly, but people are still asses, so I gave it up. Now they can get out of the way when I’m passing on two wheels. Speedy recovery!

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Howdy Sand T;
    Only just seen this thread.
    So sorry to hear of your cycleoff and hope you’re very soon up and running on all cylinders once again. :kissing_heart:
    Cheers, Ken.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Only just come across this thread.

Get well soon Sandi.

As we get older injuries take longer to heal so take your time.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #117 Sandi T, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Thanks, @OsteKuste. Yeah, I've ridden thousands of miles on a road bike but never got into mountain biking. Out here in Arizona the trails are primarily rocks and cacti. Though I have not totally given up riding on the road, we primarily now ride on a paved path along the river bed near our home for walkers, bicyclers, etc. And yes, that's what I was on when I crashed. Was my fault, not that of a car. I must be more mindful about being mindful when I ride my bicycle in the future! :p:rolleyes: What's funny is most people that I know that ride bicycles and not motorcycles always assume motorcycles are the more dangerous of the two wheeled options. My very recent personal experience and that of my friends doesn't seem to bear that out. At least none of my motorcycles were injured in the crash. For that I am very grateful! :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for your daily check in and encouraging note, @joe mc donald! I am definitely in great hands! But, that said, I'm not getting too spoiled. ;) I have had an apple fritter with my coffee each of the last two mornings which brings a big smile to my face. Life's simple pleasures. :blush:

Follow up appointment on Friday with my orthopedic surgeon. He said things are looking good so far. My elbow looks kind of gnarly but it could be worse. Much of the time right now I can leave it open to the air and move it about to some degree. My first physical therapy appointment is Monday morning so I should know more after that. I'm looking forward to seeing how much I can move and work my arm. I'm also hopeful the physical therapist can give me some things to do to get walking. While I'm still not mobile, I can move with much less pain which makes things like getting in and out of bed a lot less of a production.

A couple of lovely pics. I like my previously posted photos of my plate and pins better. ;):joy::joy:
    IMG_7340.jpeg

IMG_7343.jpeg

And here's my protector dog, Miss Annie Lou! :heart_eyes:

IMG_7353.jpeg

IMG_7357.jpeg

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Oh my that looks so painful, I hope it is getting easier❤️

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    It looks nasty, but a sign you are on the mend, take care Sandi enjoy those apple fritters rest is a great healer.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1