Featured A "little" Detour--after A Bicycle Crash And Two Broken Bones

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Sandi T, Jan 20, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. stevie28

stevie28 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Cambridgeshire

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. stevie28

stevie28 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Cambridgeshire
    Primarily about speeding your recovery through diet. Definitely worth a watch!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    They don't mess about with fiddly little screws and delicate strips of stainless then. That's proper "not going anywhere" bolted together.

I've always had a bicycle since the age of 9, and probably put in more cycling hours than motorbiking. Couldn't be without it. Skinny road tyres, but I cycle in all conditions including icy. One day, for sure, I'm going to discover I no longer bounce, but instead shatter like Humpty Dumpty. But I can't not go cycling.

Thank you for replying to each person individually. That tells me you're either a really really nice person, or getting very, very bored...

...probably both.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Good bit of scaffolding you have there Sandi! :eek:

I still have the titanium plate that came out of my left leg, I used to have it on the garage wall to serve as a reminder of what over zealous riding can do!
    I was planning to someday use it as an exhaust hanger on one of my bikes but just never had one that suited it's size & shape.

Anyway, as I said earlier, don't be in too much of a rush, progress sometimes just requires time ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    Sorry to read of your off Sandi, looks nasty and I still have a pin and plate in my left leg and hip after nearly 40 years.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    Bloody hell Sandi, just picked up on this thread. Really sorry to hear about your off, and glad you seem to be on t'mend. You don't do things by halves, do you?

PS. You may have noticed that I've typed this in English, rather than my normal Yorkshire dialect. This is because you're in enough pain, without having to have brain ache, trying to work out what I'm saying.
    Don't get used to it though...……...;)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Bloody hell Sandi, I don't know how I missed the news of your spill and only just seen it now o_O, very bad luck, most everything has been said by other members but I too wish you a speedy recovery and good on Mr Sandi for being a darn good chap in looking after his lady, x

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    All the best wishes for a speedy and successful mend - just don't tell anyone it was from a push bike make it more heroic.:D:D

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Yes, @Sandi T. say you were wheelying a Rocket 3 and in order to save a puppy crossing the road you had to jump off the bike

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for the reminder to be patient, @Bad Billy. I do need those reminders because Patience is not my strong suit. Just ask Mr. Sandi. ;):joy: He, on the other hand, is being very, very patient through all of this! :heart: By this time tomorrow I should've had my follow up visit and will know what will follow regarding PT. I appreciate the support and advice... and empathy.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Oh my, @freck! That is terrible! Horrible injuries made all the worse by the "injuries" to your brand new beautiful motorcycle. I am so sorry that happened to you. And to your Ducati.:sob::sob::sob: I'm assuming the motorcycle was totaled. Did you get another like it? How long did it take you to be healed and back in the saddle?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks @stevie28! We have Netflix so we'll do a search for it. I'm always interested in things like this. I know there's a huge connection between health, diet, and healing. Appreciate the recommendation! :kissing:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks @Duckadiledundee! I'll take all the hugs I can get, virtual or not. :) Yes, puppy's bed is very comfortable. Because it's normally not her bed, it's normally Mr. Sandi's and mine! :joy::joy::joy: Annie normally sleeps in her open dog crate on her own dog beds at night (which is in our bedroom I might add). But the night of the accident our comforter fell on the floor and she claimed it and has had it as her very own ever since. ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @Biker Jock! I have had people tell me I'm a nice person. But then I've also had people tell me the opposite. :joy::joy::joy: You did get the bored part right, however! I'm one that really ever sit still and even if I do under some circumstances such as being on the forum, I can type as fast as my fingers will fly. I'm trying to look for positive things to learn through this. And I am most certainly finding them. I have many, many blessings--among them a great spouse and family and tons of amazing friends.

I don't see giving up being a cyclist and riding my bicycle, either. I rode bicycles all the time as a kid around the farm where I grew up. I started cycling seriously in my late 20s after growing tired of being an injured runner. And I raced bicycles for about 25 years. The funny thing is that in all of those years of racing, I only ever crashed one time. That was at the hands of my ex-husband when I was a passenger on our tandem. And it was most certainly his fault. ;):joy::joy: But, that said, I didn't break anything in that fall!

No, I don't see my elbow going anywhere with all that heavy metal in there. As I said, I'm quite sure that my elbow is no stronger than it was before I crashed! Not that I went to strengthen my other elbow in the same fashion. :eek:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Maybe you could incorporate that titanium plate into a piece of art or furniture like @Dozers Dad is doing, @Bad Billy! :D:joy::heart_eyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks @JerryBB! :) How has it been to live with that plate and pen in your leg for decades?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks @Foxy1! No, I don't tend to do things by halves...to the detriment of some things I've done in my lifetime! And to the chagrin of some of my loved ones. :joy: But, it's just who I am.

I really do appreciate you typing in English! :heart_eyes: Not only is it a pain to have a broken elbow and pelvic bone, it's also a pain to try to use the computer with one hand. Voice dictation helps but presents its own set of challenges.. I guess this is another "opportunity" to learn to be a bit more patient. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks @Dave C! I appreciate your wishes for a speedy recovery. And yes, Mr. Sandi is a darn good chap, that's for sure! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for the best wishes, @stollydriver! Hmmm, a more more heroic story. Good idea! Perhaps a skydiving accident?! ;) I broke my little finger some years back while training for a marathon. I fell at the end of a long run. A woman I worked with at the time said I should tell folks that I broke it in a bar brawl. :joy:

image.png

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Yes, the bike was a complete right off.
    It took me about 7 months to get back to work but then we found that my right arm hadn’t healed properly so I ended up having another operation where they had to reset the steel plate and screws to get the bone pieces to line up better and fuse. Another 3 months off work. o_O

It was about 18 months before I could ride again and I wasn’t confident that I’d be comfortable on one again, so I bought my Daytona; a cheap bike so that I wouldn’t lose much money if I found that I didn’t want to ride anymore.
    Thankfully, the thrill hadn’t gone away, though I’m a bit more cautious these days. ;)

Glad to hear you’re on the mend Sandi. :grinning: As others have said, don’t rush your recovery and do everything your therapist tells you to do, especially the movement exercises to gain full limb movement.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1