Featured A "little" Detour--after A Bicycle Crash And Two Broken Bones

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Sandi T, Jan 20, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @Bad Billy. Yes, bicycles do seem to be quite a dangerous two wheeled vehicles.:imp: I know far more cyclists than motorcyclists who have been injured on two wheels. And yes, not being able to be independent is really difficult. I am by nature very independent to begin with so it's especially difficult. Plus I find it very hard to sit still and now that's all I'm doing! :(

My arm is now plated as of Monday afternoon and once I've gone through this thread and responded to folks I will post a couple of photos for your viewing pleasure. ;)

I'm very eager to heal quickly because, as you said, I have motorcycles to ride. I fear they wonder where I've gone because I can't even get into the garage to say hello to them. I hope they don't feel abandoned. Because we have trips to take. Adventures to embark upon! :grinning: So...physical therapy, here I come.:expressionless:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Sandi recovery is difficult enough, I hope your not left handed! I loved road bicycle riding untill I moved to Wichita, high winds, blowing sandy soil, cockleburs everywhere, finally got the best of me. Kept the unicycle, and finialy bought a mtb 2 years ago. Can still spin 100 rpm and love the technical challenge of mtb trails.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @half ton! I'm quite certain I'm slower at typing in you. In fact I'm pretty sure I'm slower at typing right now than anyone. I am trying to learn voice dictation but it's fits and starts and I find I'm using a combination of dictation and right handed hunting and pecking. Very laborious. :weary_face: But then, hey, what else do I have to do at the moment? :joy: Besides, you guys are worth it. ;):):heart:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @Repooh! Yes, I am very grateful that we weren't going fast. I'd say somewhere just under 15 mph. It could've been far worse.

Mr. Sandi and I watched Sons of Anarchy and Breaking Bad and love both of them. We have talked about re-watching both series. Neither of us have seen the crown but everyone I've talked to that has seen it raves about it so perhaps we'll start there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I must say at the moment I'm thinking that's a pretty darned good idea, @crispey! I'm not very happy with my bicycle at the moment. But then it's probably not very happy with me, either.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks so much for your informative and educational post, @DCS222. I find it somehow and somewhat weirdly comforting that this explanation makes me feel better about how fecking much pain I'm in when I try to pick up my left leg and move it forward. The leg itself pretty much says no can-do while the area around my hip flexor screeches at me. My elbow surgery ulnar nerve block wore off last night about 12:30 AM and as painful as my elbow is, certain leg movements are more painful than that. But at least they're not constant. Any other info or suggestions you care to provide are more than welcome. :)

You guys on the forum will be among the first to know when I'm back on the bike. More than likely my first ride will be aboard my Speed Triple. Perhaps my Dyna. But definitely not my Road Glide! :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Oh my, @Callumity! Those are soooooo attractive. But those "pants" just might work! In fact I've told a few people who have warned me off motorcycles that had I been riding a motorcycle in my usual gear with body armor my elbow might still be in one piece...without the plate and screws! But then one of my motorcycles would be injured as well. That'd be no good. :scream:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @Adie P! No ride o' clock for me any time soon is right. Nor any cocktail o'clock for a bit either. :( We even had to cancel our upcoming scuba diving tripSigh.. My big three are off the table for now. Motorcycling, scuba diving, and drinking. :pensive: Oh yeah, and then there's work. At least my condition is temporary. I'm incredibly grateful for that. I'm also grateful that I am in good hands and paws.

Thanks for the best wishes for a "Speedy" recovery. That's a good one! :joy: I'll share that one with my RS when I can scuffle my way out to the garage. I am definitely bored because the
    'novelty" of sitting in a wheelchair in one position all day and laying in bed flat on my back all night has worn off. :eek: I'd love a PM with some good travel stories. Thank you! :heart:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks @joe mc donald. I appreciate your sentiments! Yes, Mr. Sandi is a true gent. And a patient one, too. He and Annie are taking great care of me. I will do my best to get well and on my feet and back in the saddle as soon as I possibly can. Of course this is the most perfect riding weather of the year in Tucson and I am missing it this year. :( Not the best start to a new decade. But I know it will get better! :grinning: If you guys were closer I would definitely have you take my bikes out for a spin to stretch their wheels and keep them turning over. I know they are currently wondering where I am,, and hopefully missing me, too. Thanks for the love and hugs, Joe! I can feel them all the way across the pond. :heart:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Oh my, @SleepyOwl. I think you may be on to something and this may actually explain everything! Mr. Sandi did seem a bit worried about my interest in the Rocket 3 and my three trips to our Triumph dealer in the week and a half before my "accident"!? o_O ;) Hmmmmm...... Thanks for your wishes for my speedy recovery. I'll be working on just that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks @stevie28. As annoyed as I am with my bicycle crash, I can't imagine not being a cyclist for the rest of my life. I've done it for three decades and it's in my blood. I do agree, life is good from the saddle of all sorts of two wheels!

I have not heard of gamechangers. What's the story? I'll have to check it out in my "spare time". ;):joy:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @littleade! Yes, Mr. Sandi is on call mostly 24/7 except for he's at his part time job which fortunately is five minutes from home. And when he's at work my best girlfriend comes over to be with me. And Annie is by my side at all times. Well, all except for when Mr. Sandi takes her for her morning walk. Which I certainly miss doing with them.

It could have been worse and I'm grateful for many things. And one of them is DEFINITELY that no motorcycles were injured! ;)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Sounds like you figured out how to ride in Kansas, @Old phart phred! One of the things I am definitely grateful for and all this is that I am right handed! And I broke mine left elbow. Thankfully. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Wow @freck! I've always noticed your avatar but didn't have any idea how many things you broke at the same time! What the heck happened? At least I can currently scratch my own bum. That's something! It's all relative, isn't it? So glad you healed up OK. :):kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, @Biker Jock! I appreciate your well wishes. I'm starting to get better sleep the last couple of nights which helps a lot. Though it's probably from the drugs I'm on I'll take it. ;)

I'm sorry both that your Annie is no longer with you but also that she didn't like the hospital smell and responded the way she did when your wife came home after her illness. Our Annie is supportive and doting but seems confused by the strange new routines that are happening each day. But she's quite adaptable and is, as usual, sleeping right next to my wheelchair at the moment.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for checking in to see how I'm doing. I'm doing my best to smile as much as I can each day, @joe mc donald and @Duckadiledundee! And to count my blessings.

My elbow surgery was this past Monday afternoon and it went very smoothly. Well, all except for the cost of my insurance co-pay. :eek::scream: It was very helpful and reassuring to know both my orthopedic surgeon and my anesthesiologist both of whom I have ridden bicycles with in the past and continue to be friends with to this day. One cannot say that of the physicians in this country very often.

I've included a couple of post-op photos for your "viewing pleasure". ;):joy::joy: I'm quite sure my elbow is now stronger than it was before the operation.:rolleyes: My follow up appointment with my ortho doc is Friday afternoon so I'll know more about my recovery timeline after that. I'm hoping to get going on PT as soon as possible for both my elbow mobility and issues related to the pelvic bone fracture. We have motorcycle rides and trips planned! :grinning::cool:

IMG_7332.jpeg

IMG_7331.jpeg

IMG_7334.jpeg

• Like Like x 15
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  17. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    I agree. Didn’t do poor Nicky Hayden any good that cycling malarky.
    Take care out there Sandi

omg. Just seen the X-ray pics. Hope you heal up quickly :heart:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Well the road to recovery has started, do what the experts advise as far as physical therapy goes. As one who has had major injuries & tried to push too quickly to get back in the saddle I know over eagerness can set you back. So be patient Sandi, do what you are told, yes I know it’s difficult, but worth it.
    Cheers
    Billy

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:eek: Sandi Scaffold :p

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I was taken out by a young lad in a car, on my 2 week old Ducati Panigale. :sob:

8066F0C7-2BC3-4600-9210-5419A764A6BC.jpeg

• WTF WTF x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1