Featured A "little" Detour--after A Bicycle Crash And Two Broken Bones

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Sandi T, Jan 20, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for checking in, @Duckadiledundee! I appreciate it.:kissing_heart: Nope, you're not pestering me. Things have greatly improved. Sometimes I do have to remind myself of that, though, since I'd like all to be back to normal right now and the progress is steady but not super fast. At least from my perspective. My ortho doc told Mr. Sandi that I should be back to normal in about six more weeks. I'll take that!

I had a PT appointment today and the therapist showed me no mercy. :scream: I mean, it was v-e-r-y, shall we call it, uncomfortable?! :eek: I'm still super sore nearly 12 hours later. But I got 8º more range of motion (with her measuring and pushing on my elbow at the same time). I really do have to fight for every darned degree. So I dutifully do my home PT 5 times a day and have also figured out how to work it in at work when I'm there.

I was hopeful that I'd be able to drive my new Mustang this week. Mr. Sandi backed it out of the garage for me and pulled it into our cul-de-sac. I was able to get in rather easily which was awesome because that used to be a feat in and of itself! It was my first time in the driver's seat starting the car. Wow! Loved firing it up. It sounds and feels amazing! But, alas, after working the clutch several times I realized that my left leg just isn't ready yet. I'll give it a go again this weekend. One of these days! And soon. :) Thanks again for the encouragement!

• Like Like x 10
  3. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for the virtual hug, @Duckadiledundee! I have to say, I do have my days. ;):(:p I definitely have cabin fever. And mostly I have to temper how frustrated I am with not being able to ride during our best weather here in Tucson. And sometimes I just plain feel worn out with not being able to do every day things. But then I remember this is temporary and I put that energy into my physical therapy work.:) Once I’m able to safely drive again will help immensely. I would certainly be able to do that by now if I had not gone and bought a manual transmission car in the midst of all this! :joy: I’ll be more independent and I won’t have to rely on others to drive me around. Mr. Sandi will most certainly appreciate that too! ;):blush:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Think of getting back on the bikes and behind the wheel of the Mustang as another Christmas that's coming soon Sandi, as you say, yours is a temporary situation that you have probably shortened by your determination to get fit ASAP, I can totally understand your frustration at not being able to do the things you love (especially riding) and every day things but it is literally just around that next long sweeping bend, keep on doing what you're doing :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I like the idea to think of riding again and driving my Mustang as "another Christmas that's coming soon", Dave C! Thank you for that.:) It will come in handy when I am pressing my elbow into submission -- sometimes more successfully than others. Had another PT session today with no range of motion improvement from Tuesday. :pensive:Gotta go with the flow and not get discouraged. :rolleyes:

I got behind the wheel of my Mustang last Sunday but my left leg needs strengthening before I can use the clutch safely. So I decided to rent a cheap little automatic to get me around for a week or so to free up Mr. Sandi from having to be my "chauffeur". Yesterday I drove a car for the first time in six and a half weeks. Boy, that felt strange! But it felt really good, too. :)

I also love your comment and the visual that I'll be able to do the things I love (and yes, especially riding!) "just around that next long sweeping bend". You have no idea how much I appreciate comments and encouragement like that, Dave C! Thank you. :heart::heart::heart:

• Like Like x 4
  6. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    That's great news that you've just driven Sandi, what a massive step in the right direction, there is going to be no holding you back now :D Like you say, try not to be discouraged by the PT visit, you are getting there, just some things take a little bit longer. I think we all need words of encouragement at times in our lives and they can lift us from the fog of our own thoughts. :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    So pleased you are on the mend @Sandi T. not long now and your full recovery....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    You will be on the road in no time! Glad to hear you are on the mend!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Well, I'm back riding my bicycle...sort of. My orthopedic surgeon recommended I ride but I'm not game to ride outdoors on the path right now for multiple reasons. So he said he had a turbo trainer that I could use--as long as I promised never to give it back to him. ;):joy: They ARE boring as all get out. Mr. Sandi got this set up for me in our little loft area where we also have some free weights and a small pulley weight machine. I can leave the trainer and the bicycle set up all the time and start getting in some spinning in addition to daily walks with Mr. Sandi and Annie.

So here I am on my maiden voyage since my mid-January bicycle crash. I put in a big (ha!) 10 minutes today and my pelvis, hips, and legs told me that was plenty as a starter. Little by little. And, hey, I don't have anywhere to go right now anyway! :sob::joy:

As I said recently in a thread about sitting on and starting up my Speed Triple in the driveway, it's not a "real" ride but I'll take it! :grinning:

IMG_8141.jpeg

IMG_8144.jpeg

P.S. I'm wearing one of my trusty old Triumph Motorcycle tank tops for good luck. :heart_eyes: And, yes, @Duckadiledundee, those are lycra cycling shorts. :eek::joy::joy:

IMG_8151.jpg

• Like Like x 13
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  10. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland

"Little by little" do you watch, Twin Sticks Garage, too?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Good see you continue to make progress..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Good to see you getting there @Sandi T.
    I know what you mean about turbo trainers. Soooo boring. Longest I have managed is about an hour which is a long time looking at tins of paint and oil on the garage shelves :scream:.
    Saw one local guy on strava had done over 100 miles,about 8 hours on one-sad bastard!
    Keep at it Sandi, soon be back out for real.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I have not heard of twin sticks garage, @SprinterII. What is it?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
    It's you tube he's very fond of that saying.Doing up a Peterbuilt for 3 years, little by little.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 11.56.40 AM.png

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yeah, @Dawsy, I swore I'd never sit on a turbo trainer again. Lesson learned....never say never. ;) That said, 8 hours on a turbo trainer? Never! :joy:

image.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    #278 Kenbro, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Peterbilt....looks like a truck should.
    Never tired of looking at them outside Dennys’ in ‘87 in Tracy. Ca.
    Ken.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland

• Like Like x 5
  20. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    Turbo trainer should be used in prisons as a reform tool, still have my mid eighties model. 100 rpm cadence from bordom hell. Peterbuilts are cool in a nostogical way as each one is probably a custom build.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2