69 120r

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Tibster, Feb 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tibster

Tibster Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Top tips as ever , I didnt think about the fuel filler wicking fuel , It was a bit scruffy so thought it deserved a coat , will sand off and just leave it painted with some tank sealer upto but not the contact face .
    Painted my front hub this morning so should be able to get the front wheel laced sometime next week .
    My machinist has also promised the crank will be balanced by end of Monday so should be able to get the engine back together , Got tyres too , nearly all the expensive bits , paid for other than the exhaust system which I will probably try and order next week sometime .
    Do the balance pipes on the 69 make a noticable diference to the engine and considered worthwhile other than correct fitment . Also is there a brand I should go for for ease of fit quality , think Emgo are the ones I have seen so far .

2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    All coming together nicely now :) Pipes are a bit hit n miss but getting the correct shape is important as some have very tight bends that are wrong, ballance pipe is supposed to help but i can't feel the difference lol but as you have made such a big effort so far why wouldn't you :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Yeh , feel things are starting to work out now ,bit frustrating at times , usual problems I suppose , faulty or crap parts and waiting for others to come good with promises of providing a service in a timeframe .
    Back to paint and hopefully the last question , I am feeling a little nervous about clear coating over the tank water slide decal and its application .
    Is it best to flat entire tank in its present state then apply the water slide or apply waterslide then flat/ scotch carefully up to it ? when clear coating can just apply as normal , one or two mist coats allow to become tacky then full wet coat , or should the mist coats be allowed to become almost touch dry ? I sure dont want to have to strip laquer off and ruin stripes if possible . I probably should have bought a spare decal to practice on in hind sight .

4. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Always fit waterslide on gloss and flat/scotch after, some work and some crinkle up when applying clear :-(, i always apply them after now.

5. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    #185 Tibster, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Hmm thanks darkman appreciated, so could well turn into a nightmare . After a lot of online searching it did seem very hit and miss as to sucess or not . I wish I had a spare to practice with . Wil, give it some more thought .
    For the striping do you use one lart enamels and this clearcoats fine , I could use 2k to be sure that my stripes dont wrinkle too ! Will leave tank a week or to to fully cure before next stage I think .

6. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    I get my pinstriping done by Simon at Nefarious in Farnborough, he has one shot paints that you can clear over, it's one thing i have never tried to do :-( Simon did my TR6C tank and i even got him to do it on top with no clear for that orig look lol.

1970 8 spring gold.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    That green is a lovely colour , so the stripes and water slide decal are on top of that tank , that would make my life easier , don’t fancy rubbing tank down after a disaster :) Thanks for nefarious lead . I may know someone who can do it but need to check as local so handy if he can .

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    I just spent half hr looking at my re mudguard , I am still messing about trying to line it up correctly for drilling , I have put my rear wheel in , but when it looks right with the wheel seems a bit off with grab handle locations . I have come to the conclusion as cant seem to find a clear pic from rear with seat up that the bridge bracket which seems to be offset fits with the wider space to the left . ,so when viewed from behind the mudguard is more to the right in the opening . Is the gap between grab handle and mudguard always tighter on the right of bike when viewed from behind . As expected it to be equal . Does anyone have a nice pic taken from the rear looking along bike with saddle off or up ? Would be most handy as really need to get this thing drilled .

9. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    The mount has the long offset part to the left as you say looking from the rear, the rear loop has no grab handle on a 69 as the grab handle goes on the seat or do have just the rear loop. They are never equal on the sides of mudguard lol, you just have to make sure the light ends up central as it governs the light fitting as well :) IMG_1596.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Thanks , I think I getting ocd in my old age , yes got the right bracket at least so that’s a relief . I think I will put the tyre on to help eye it all
    90A6D7B0-8083-44ED-BA39-8DF60DE87C65.jpeg

8E5CBF72-8563-4C5A-929B-073D2FC090F7.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Thanks , I think I getting ocd in my old age , yes got the right bracket at least so that’s a relief . I think I will put the tyre on to help eye it all

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Nothing wrong with OCD, had it all my life lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    The mudguard is spot on and you will have to tweek the rail to get it central :) you can make the 2 front mount holes oval ;)

14. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Also it looks like you have the pre 68 rail that is offset on the left, nothing wrong with it as i have one on my 69 as makes a good lifting handle for the main stand, 68 on they did away with the offset :-(

15. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    #195 Tibster, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Cool , so the grab handle in my mind is in fact the rail , I do have a chrome pillion grab handle but that I will have to rivnut to saddle but thats a job for another day . One of the reasons for my concern was that I seem to use the full amount of adjustment on the rail via its oval holes ,ie one side pushed in one pulled out to get thing to look about right and it to line centrally with guard . I should be used to dealing with brittish built vehicles and things not fitting well ! That and shite paten parts of course.
    I had hoped front wheel would have been built by now but cwc sent only half of the correct spokes bt pleased to say replacements arrived today so may do that over the weekend .
    Getting paranoid now but I am right in thinking if the rear axel is in the dropouts equally ,I used a spacer as a spacer if that makees sense (see Pic )then the wheel should be aligned if have built in right wheel offset of course.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    #196 Tibster, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    89DF072B-B4BA-40A4-8911-6631813CF2E8.jpeg

Talking of front wheels , I fitted new bearings but am a little unsure if I have it assembled right :neutral:

A0AD3978-C116-4EA7-848E-8B740F7E3404.jpeg

Fairly sure I have the correct components , Firstly I fitted the dust cap ,bearing support washer on the threaded side this sat up against shoulder in hub then fitted bearing then threaded cap and tightned up to bearing all nice and solid bearing cant move .Then inserted spindel as far as it would go , then basically drove the other bearing down up to spindle shoulder trapping it , then dust cap but this leaves after c clip about half inch for bearing to move ? this cant be right ?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    #197 Tibster, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Not had a lot of time lately but I did spend a few hours yesterday . After getting the crank balanced with the new rods I started to get to grips with the engine reassembly.

After a dry assembly with the cams in and a bit of a wiggle and measure I decided the cam bushes were not worth changing . A varity on this project !
    Opted for some nice new Thunder engineering rods for the build certainly blingy and things of beauty . Glad to support a British company rather than unknown quality foreign options .

• Like Like x 3
  18. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    after a dry assembly with the cams in and a bit of a wiggle and measure I decided the cam bushes were not worth changing . A variety on this project !
    Opted for some nice new Thunder engineering rods for the build certainly blingy and things of beauty . Glad to support a brittish company rather than unknown quality foreign options .

3C350260-27ED-4FC0-81B5-927B71848829.jpeg

New bearings fitted

50D62315-5555-475E-9FD6-25831E1D2A73.jpeg

A21AA276-2B52-4FA4-BF1D-45639C1EB3BC.jpeg

CA16FBD0-8AB5-42BA-9D9A-E9258B6BA5A3.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  19. Tibster

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Engine cases now ready for closing probably tomorrow with luck

IMG_6972.JPG