Featured 2018 Speed Triple Rs In Tamworth

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Bikerdave, Jan 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #21 Eldon, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Welcome BikerDave,
    Your story sounded like a double take of mine. I bought a CB1000R '60 plate with 224 miles and ran it for five years. It was a good 100% reliable bike but there was just something about it that didn't gel for me. I thought the suspension was poor and the engine although powerful never really excited me plus it had too much weight.
    Took a few 675's out and they didn't tick the box for me either. Took a 765 rs and loved it. Six months later took another one out and that was me hooked. Bike purchased about two weeks later.

I purchased a 765rs 272 mile old in white which is now in the garage, roll on the warmer drier days. I took the tyres off after the first service and sold them to a track day mate and it now has Michelin Pilots on.

What were your thoughts on the Honda?

2. Bikerdave

Bikerdave Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Hi mate .... Honda was bulletproof as ever ... if had CBR600, Blackbird & Fireblade over the years ... turned 50 last year so I’m done with sportsbikes ... it was a great bike to modify and for most riding it was great if a little unexciting ... really like the character of the Speed Triple engine and although limited riding so far I think it will rock all the boxes for me ... all the best

83A42A7A-9F13-40E2-B8F6-C85BB48FAAAE.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi Dave and welcome to the forum, nice intro, I think you're right about the character, not many in line fours have given me the same feeling that triples and twins have, enjoy the bike and roll on spring!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Here's my old one Dave. Did 15k on it and still sweet.

When I tested the demo 765, bearing in mind I was well used to the 1000, I cracked it open on a known country lane and got that inner glow.... oh yes I'm having one of these.
    With the speed triple you have a bit more so I think it'll tick the box that sorely the Honda missed.

5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    That pic was too big, try again.

20181116_173647.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Looks good ! I do still think they look “cool” especially considering the age they are .... really didn’t like the look or general thinking of the new one either

7. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Agreed new one wasn't for me.
    I rode a Suzuki GSX1000S when they first came out and thought thats what Honda should have created as an appropriate update for the CB. Sort of similar but a bit more in the right places.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Few bits have arrived:

MotoGrafix tank pad
    Tech-Spec snakeskin tank knee protectors
    R&G aero crash protectors
    R&G bar ends
    R&G engine case sliders

Just need some time away from the office now !

IMG_0013.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    So after a hectic 6 months work and home life I have neglected my thread although I have slowly been changing things after the initial basic protection items etc

Firstly an R&G tail tidy went on , which I hated the up and over exhaust look ... so on went the excellent and a doddle to fit Evotech tail tidy .... at the same time I was going off the dual underseat arrows so off they came along with rear footpegs for now ... and then, after much deliberating and a false start with another company, on has gone (tonight) an SP Engineering carbon GP XLS can with link pipe

Very pleased overall and hoping to get out on the bike tomorrow to road test the new can
    Before
    IMG_1916.jpg
    After
    IMG_2375.jpg
    Before
    IMG_1696.jpg
    After
    IMG_2373.jpg
    Before
    IMG_1584.jpg
    After
    IMG_2377.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    First RS I've seen losing the fat arsed under seat cans, yeyyy, lol, looks wicked mate :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Hi mate , thank you ! To be fair there are a few others on here with different levels of de-cluttering eg exhausts, footpegs, tail tidy ..... I initially liked the twin pipes as I thought it made the bike look muscular BUT I prefer the open ended racier look ... that’s what I love about these forums too , lots of great guys from all of the place doing their own thing and sharing the fun and love of the 3 cylinder !

12. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Hi mate , thank you ! To be fair there are a few others on here with different levels of de-cluttering eg exhausts, footpegs, tail tidy ..... I initially liked the twin pipes as I thought it made the bike look muscular BUT I prefer the open ended racier look ... that’s what I love about these forums too , lots of great guys from all of the place doing their own thing and sharing the fun and love of the 3 cylinder !

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Very nice.

14. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Nice ! Carbon hugger next ....

WIll be interesting to hear you views on the SP can -

Any chance of a dyno run to check fueling / output ?

15. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Thanks mate ! I tried to order a few bits from Conquest Carbon last week but all items were out of stock !

Spookily, having read on the forum about Hilltop Motorcycles and their remapping, I find myself working at a clients about 500 yards away this week !

RS is in for annual service next week but may well then take it in for a remap/dyno run

16. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Now looks far less bulky and lighter :p

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    You sound like my Mrs talking to me after I started running again Cheers

18. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Funny story ..... went for a ride tonight with youngest son ... thought I'd try with baffle in the SP exhaust first ... on the driveway it had a nice low rumble but not offensive ... set off from home .... 200 yards down the road as I'm thinking that the popping and growling as I approach the roundabout was cool ... I realise that the "boy" isn't' behind me so, around the roundabout back up the road ... there he is laughing his head off and pointing at the road .... it was my baffle !!! Seems that when I set off it fell out (hence the even lovelier sound ) as it was actually not held in by the small nut but was slightly wedged in ! Schoolboy error but the baffle is staying out Bike is in for service next Tuesday so I'll see if they can measure dB with/without ....

Been trying to load a 10 second video clip with sound but site says file too large ? Anyone able to help in very simple language ? Cheers guys

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Noble Member

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    Easiest thing to do would be upload it to YouTube and then link to it. If you don't want others seeing your video or being able to search for it, you can change the privacy settings, but not really much point in doing that unless the clip shows your address or an activity the Police may want to talk to you about! :)

20. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Lol ! Ah OK I’ll try that later thanks

• Like Like x 1