Featured 2018 Speed Triple Rs In Tamworth

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Bikerdave, Jan 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bikerdave

Bikerdave Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    IMG_1086.jpg Hi Guys

After the last 5 years on a Honda CB1000r which I loved I waited for the new version ... then saw it .... and decided it was time for something with a big more character.

Cue the arrival on Friday last of a 2018 RS . Bought as an ex-demo bike with 1,100 miles.

Just been out for a 50 mile ride .... initial thoughts ?

I love the engine , it's character and torque are superb rather than all out flat line power

Exhausts and induction noise are addictive

Heated grips were a wonderful addition (first time on a,y bike of mine)

Rode in rain mode as there were some serious damp "patches" around .. seemed to do what it says on the tin!

Tyres ? Probably best on warm days and track ... will swap to something like Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 when they need changing for a more all round tyre

Seat is really comfortable as is the riding position , slightly leant forward more than the CB1k but definitely meant to be on the Speedy

Matt Paint ... took me ages to decide on this or white ... I actually think both look good, a gloss black would have been an easy choice ... I've read the links on caring for the paint and already looking for tank protector and knee guards for the tank

I've order R&G protectors for frame, bar ends, front forks and engine casing to be fitted ASAP

Auto electrician is going to refit my Sat Nav cable and Optimate 3 cable for me ASAP too

Anyway, very pleased for now

Cheers

Dave

• Like Like x 15
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Welcome to the Triumph party. I have had my 2014 Speedy since August and I love it! Sure you will have loads of fun on the RS.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  4. Sideburn

Sideburn Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    Looking good! Let’s see it when you get her all kitted out! For me the build quality stood out as well. Some aren’t a stickler for that, but I am.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Very nice indeed, and good colour choice by the way;). The fit, finish and feel of a Triumph is something special. Enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Well done Dave. Enjoy the ride mate, those SpeedyRS are feckin' mental.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Noble Member

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    awesome bike well done on losing a cylinder and gaining one of the nicest road engines you can get! :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    That is, without question, a thing of beauty :heart_eyes:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Welcome in Dave, have fun.
    Metzeler M7RR's are another option worth looking at when you come to change tyres.
    Have a look at the keyless ignition thread here (if you haven't already), seems it's worth checking your keys on the RS.
    There's good info on this forum showing how to open up the Arrow exhausts if you fancy a fruitier exhaust note too.
    Would also recommend fitting rad and cooler guards, Evotech are best IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hi Dave and welcome :)

The rs sure looks hot :heart:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Hi from one Dave to another.
    In regards to the tyres on your RS, you said you'd change them for "a more all round tyre" I'm a bit concerned what shape the current ones are :rolleyes:
    Sorry, couldn't resist that, lol, cracking looking bike you have there, have fun.

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Yep totally agree ... stuck with Honda for a long time as their build quality is always superb and glad to say from what I've seen Triumph has come up good with this one

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Lol I walked right into that one eh ! Cheers mate , considering the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 but I suspect I may have a month R so to decide as the weather is on the turn !

14. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Hi mate and thank you I had the Triumph rad guard fitted before delivery (pre-requisite for any of my naked bikes) so will check out the Metzelers thanks .... Supercorsas are great but not for me for everyday kind of road Riding ..... must admit the keyless scenario had me scratching my head a bit so I'll check the thread too .... wondering what happens if you're away and the battery dies etc

15. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Thanks mate ! Caught sight of your post regarding the Snakeskin tank knee protectors so been checking those out today .... $45 postage to the UK for the pre-cut ones from the U.S. supplier !

16. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Yes, the factory fit tyres on my speedy seemed quite track biased, have a fairy recent pair of Avon 3XM on it now which I'm quite impressed with.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Yes the Supercorsa's are not good in the wet and you'll struggle to get them up to working temperature this time of year!

• Like Like x 1
  18. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    nice,bike regarding tyres corsa are ok but as soon as they had worn out on mine I swapped them for M77r lot better for everyday riding

• Like Like x 1
  19. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Hi and welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bikerdave

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Thanks mate And sounds good regarding the tyres