Featured 2018 Speed Triple Rs – Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by MrTriple, Mar 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    If you pop over, it will just be you and me. No one else over there talks to me :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Snusmumrik

Snusmumrik Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2020
    Switzerland
    Never thought I would buy a naked at one point.
    I always thought I would ride sportsbikes till the day I can't for whatever reason (age, health, government, poverty, ...).
    I guess never say never.

So, sitting and waiting for my brand new discontinued Speed Triple RS, with weapon of gearbox destruction (qs/b) installed, to be prepared for me. :)
    I am keeping one sportsbike just in case I do not jell with the naked lifestyle.

IMG_20200918_153021.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  3. Mark34

Mark34 Member

Aug 24, 2018
    London
    You'll be missed Mr T.

I gained a lot through reading about your experiences and the details provided on the mods you made, also supplemented by the many of the other contributors.

I suspect this thread will be continue on as your legacy ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mark34

Mark34 Member

Aug 24, 2018
    London
    You've made a very good choice!

I used to be the same.

I still have a sports bike or two, however the ST RS has proven to be the best of both worlds and doesn't need to be ridden at "a hundred and plenty MPH" to come into it's own.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Hey I'll still be around...but not learning any new stuff about the Speed Triple. Great to hear that this has been helpful - a focal point that's drawn together, those that are into messing with their perfectly-good-from-the-factory bikes :)

I'm hoping that the new owner will want to say hello on here...and maybe pick up the baton :grinning:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    I’m on this curve now, as deposit payed and new bike being delivered next Friday, but Speed is about for a bit longer.

7. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    What have you done Bryan?

8. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    Be silly not to!

7F16C294-954A-4D01-8CA0-277055D0F8F3.png

• Like Like x 3
  9. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Now that's an exciting and very logical choice for you Bryan...can't wait to hear what you think :p

There is one concern though - how are you going to get around your username? o_O

10. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    #950 Bryan3R, Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    Let’s hope so, not ridden one yet, only tried a 2018 second gen b4, but it’s meant to be a big improvement.
    I can always change name, Bryanv2 again as not my first V twin.
    With luck the bar end mirrors on the Speed will fit or I can adapt without buying new ones again.

B0A23E9D-E690-45A3-83C8-D6C7C813987F.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bentos

Bentos New Member

Nov 5, 2020
    Somerset
    Huge thanks to MrTriple and everyone else on this thread. All the information has been fantastic as I prepare to invest in a 2020 RS before the new update is released.

Please could I ask for your collective experiences with the matt black paint?

First, and please don’t shoot me down!!... Has anyone tried removing any of the fluorescent yellow decals from the 2020 matt bike? Do the decals peel off with a hairdryer? Do they leave any marks or residue? I love the black, but I’m just not sure that all the “dayglow” is really me!

Secondly, how does the matt black paint look after a couple of years of riding and general wear? I guess there is no clear coat on there so I’m concerned that it might be susceptible to chips, scratches or shiny spots after a while?

Thanks again for all the other experiences and advice!

• Like Like x 2
  12. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #952 MrTriple, Nov 13, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    I'm so glad that you found all this helpful Bentos...certainly enough to read and keep you entertained throughout lockdown :laughing:

Hopefully someone will give some more info about the decals. As far as the paint goes, it really depends how well you're able to look after it, and what kind of use it's getting. There are some brilliant products out there (I like Chemical Guys Meticulous Matte Detailer) that will keep the surface looking like new. Gentle and regular cleaning is the way forward...as opposed to scrubbing it to death ;)

I looked after a Matte Phantom Black Daytona (albeit with a metallic fleck) for four years and honestly, the paintwork stayed flawless.

Personally...you can't beat shiny paint!

• Like Like x 2
  13. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Here you go @Bentos - Daytona 675R...four years old...12,000 miles and ridden in all weathers (including gritted roads o_O):

Daytona675R_05.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bentos

Bentos New Member

Nov 5, 2020
    Somerset
    Thanks for the quick reply MrT. Very helpful and that Daytona tank looks beautiful. That’s the look I would hope to achieve by pulling off the decals :laughing:

Anyone had any experience with peeling off the yellow?!!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Hi Bentos, nice choice on wanting matte black, it gives the bike the look I think it deserves, but certainly nothing wrong with the white either. As far as matte paint not having a clear coat, it does actually. It’s all in the application as not to smooth out the paint. It’s the micro bumpy paint surface that creates the matte look. Unfortunately the decals are under the clear coat, so no removal is possible, sorry. Now, with easy care you can keep that look for many years. It’s the cleaning routine that destroys paint, not riding of the bike. I have a couple of decades of paint work correction and have seen customers destroy shinny paint in no time because of the poor paint maintenance. After each ride I use a clean microfibre cloth soaked in hot water to gently wipe down the paint, one section at a time, rinsing the cloth after the tank before I do another section. You can also apply a nano ceramic matte paint coating to further ensure the matte paint stays looking great for years. This is what I have done, and you can see that on this site as I posted up that process. So unfortunately it’s a no go on decal removal without a repaint, but rest assured you can keep the matte paint looking excellent for years. Cheers.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
  17. Bentos

Bentos New Member

Nov 5, 2020
    Somerset
    Wow, what a great example of how valuable these forums are!!

Thanks for the detailed information SteveRS. I’m pleased to hear that the decals have a matt clear coat over the top, as it results in a much higher quality finish. My 2015 GSX-R just has decals stuck on top of the paint, and they don’t look great with age. This does leave me in a predicament regarding all the day glow though :laughing:

By the way SteveRS, a massive thanks to you for all your posts regarding the quickshifter / gearbox disasters you have endured. I’ve been really sorry to read your saga. But once again these forums are a terrific resource. I will definitely not be ticking the quickshifter box, even though Triumph are now throwing them in for free!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    You can get it installed and switch it off? Or, take it off and sell it instead?

19. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    You are most welcome sir. I agree, this forum is fantastic. I’m always learning something new. Wise choice on the quickshifter (IED), not worth the chance that it could destroy your gearbox and the new bike experience. Let us know when you get the new bike, and post lots of photos too.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Congratulations, it sure is pretty! I’ve been looking at the same colour Speed here in SA, they have a demo marked down around 10%. Pity they offer one nothing for your bikes so if I do decide to pull the trigger trade in will not be an option. You say brand new discontinued?

Enjoy the new bike mate!

• Like Like x 1