Featured 2018 Speed Triple Rs – Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by MrTriple, Mar 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #1 MrTriple, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    I wanted to keep an ownership thread going, but the downside is that it's become somewhat lengthy.

Collection day...

The waiting is finally over and I'm very pleased to introduce you to my new Speed Triple RS :laughing:

She only arrived at Jack Lilley (Romford) on Wednesday and they had her ready for today, which I have to say was exceptional service on their part. They've fitted a quick shifter (shift assist), alarm and a tank pad, and I opted for the carbon tank sides and slimline indicators to fit myself.

I have a further stash of goodies retrieved from my old R to fit over the next couple of days, including carbon tail, hugger, chain guard and heat shield, billet brake reservoirs, crash sliders, engine sliders and axle protectors, rad and oil guards and a tail tidy. This work is now in progress (including an ACF-50 frenzy)...as evidenced in my last pic below o_O

I didn't attempt any heroics on the way home and kept to the 3,500 rpm limit that's advised for the first 100 miles. It was damp and the tyres are obviously new. The engine is MUCH smoother though and whizzes up the rev range in a flash. Exhaust sound is lively but not loud and doesn't drown out the engine and induction sound.

It takes a short while to suss out how to navigate around the info options on the display, but it's super clear and looks amazing. You can lock it on the white background setting, but the dark setting is 'auto' and it appears to switch back to white when it wants (I found that strange). I mistook the indicator switch for the menu joystick a couple of times - and also found out that it has self cancelling indicators (and a short press for three flashes setting too).

I'll post up any notable technical tips as I discover them, but there are a couple of items worth a mention:

The Evotech tail tidy fits fine with the arrow cans (the dealer cast some doubt on this, saying they had had a problem with the R&G version because the subframe had some differences).

The old Arrow cans DO NOT fit (I was going to try my no baffles version) - this is because the link pipe is 2 or 3" too short where the single pipe mates to the cat. There's an extra* exhaust mount down there too - you can see it in my stripped down pic (just below the brake pedal).

Edit: It's not actually 'extra' - the 2016 bike's cat exit pipe would have mounted to this support, where for 2018, the link pipe mounts to it.

To sum up, I'm absolutely delighted with the crystal white finish - it really is a stunning bike :heart_eyes:

DSC_3303.jpg
    2018-03-31 14.26.34 HDR.jpg
    2018-03-31 14.27.28 HDR.jpg
    2018-03-31 15.56.34.jpg
    2018-03-31 15.56.53.jpg
    2018-03-31 15.57.07.jpg
    DSC_3306.jpg
    2018-03-31 18.55.37.jpg

• Like Like x 25
  2. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I thought I’d save that for when I can use a few more revs and get out onto an open road...plus with all the other distractions...I forgot it was fitted :-/

3. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    Stunning bike, congratulations, that is a beauty.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Fazerboy

Fazerboy Member

May 24, 2016
    London
    Very nice, I’m sure you can’t wait to open it up! How much of a step up do you think it is from the previous model?

I’ve got a 2016 Triple R and I’ve got a test ride booked next week on the RS. I’m sure I’ll like it but my dilemma will be that I’ve fitted lots of Conquest Carbon pieces to mine, as well as BST carbon wheels, Evotech tail tidy, Triumph lowboy exhaust etc and I think I’m only going to upgrade to the RS if these bits (or most of them at least) can be transferred over, otherwise I’ll take a big financial hit. My dealer doesn’t know which bits are the same across the two bikes at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Luke_88

Luke_88 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Canada
    Congrats!! She’s a beauty Now let’s hear the beast

• Like Like x 1
  6. Torque Chops

Torque Chops New Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Belfast
    Absolutely awesome. So jealous. Enjoy it mate. I'm picking up a white 2012 R on Friday because we both know, white is fastest :joy:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Scott C

Scott C Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Dundee
    Beautiful looking bike!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #6 MrTriple, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Just try not liking it :yum

It feels a major step up - a combination of many subtle (and a few not so subtle) changes that make it feel way more premium - even compared to my old 2016 R. I can't say about the riding yet as I made a beeline home before the rain set in...and now she's in bits.

The only issue that I've encountered so far, is that the link pipe is longer and the header/cat pipe is shorter - I guess if you were replacing from the headers back, then that's not a problem, although the mounting points may well be different (as I explained in my OP).

The majority of the carbon bits appear to be the same, with the exception of anything like the instrument surround. All my bits have offered up OK, but I'm yet to fit them back - so I'll post up if there are any problems over the next two days.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I'm working on the beautifying bit at the moment...actually riding will happen in the very near future and I'll try and get a sound clip sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Fabulous bike MrT, I’d love to see what Hilltop make of the new motor :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Give it a couple of months and I'm sure there will be some interesting developments. I'm not planning to go that route...yet ;)

12. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Looks really good in White. Hope the weather improves so you can crack on with the running in!

13. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Congrats Mr T ! I was eagerly awaiting the first arrival ! Stunning looking bike ! Now I really can't wait for ours to arrive !

14. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    #12 tcbandituk, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Not got the bike two minutes and it's fallen apart ! :p:D

Looks good, can't wait to get mine Tuesday !

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading

It's the same chassis as the 16/17 bike, so most bits should swap. My dealer's swapped a fly screen, engine protectors and an Evotech tail tidy over on mine. I did debate about swapping the lowboy off my old one, but I'll be sticking with the Arrows anyway, so didn't bother, plus I'm not sure if the headers will fit the same on the new engine.

I believe the tank is the same. They quoted 15.5L in the specs released, which is 0.5L more than last year, which seemed to indicate a slightly different tank.
    But it states 15.1L in the Technical manual, so I think it hasn't actually changed at all.

16. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Rather nice dude

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Tony Rokins

Tony Rokins Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    Cracking looking bike, the white really pings in the daylight. Glad I've ordered a white one too....
    Test rode our local dealer's matt black demo bike yesterday. Gota say even in the pi$$ing rain with just 11 miles on, the RS feels like a huge upgrade over my 2011 model...Really looking forwards to collecting mine
    T

• Like Like x 2
  18. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    So far, the only downside of white, is that it causes havoc with my iPhone camera exposure...need to compensate for that in future :)

It even feels a considerable upgrade over the 2016. It will be interesting to hear your opinion (and others) once these bikes really start to hit the streets. I've really not even riden mine yet!

Just a thought, there doesn't seem to be much said about the S - no pictures or comments that I've seen. There were three RS versions ready for handover at Jack Lilley - perhaps it's being seen as worth the extra outlay.

19. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #17 MrTriple, Apr 1, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    This is the only negative that I've found so far.

The 2016 had very little storage space, but I could slide some tools, a puncture repair kit and some visor spray, forward so they ended up under the rider seat. That left space for a disk lock in the main compartment.

With the new USB socket, that area is now blocked off by a metal 'bulkhead' leaving very little space. The old toolkit is gone, with the essential items (including useless C-Spanner for chain tension) pressed into clips (as you can see).

I'll get over it, but it's not very practical :confused:

IMG_7169.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  20. Fazerboy

Fazerboy Member

May 24, 2016
    London
    That would be very useful thanks...

21. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Absolutely gorgeous bike buddy :)

Enjoy ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Wow that does look nice. Had a 2012 Speed Triple and would be interested to have a go on one of these. (currently on the dark side on an MT10)

• Like Like x 1