Featured 2018 Speed Triple Rs – Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by MrTriple, Mar 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. XLRS SPEED TRIP

XLRS SPEED TRIP New Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Yes, i leave it in Auto Contrast & have covered the 2 sensors on the dash with small round stick on “feet” off a data switch (or any other electronic device that has these protective feet)
    Now stays in night mode 24/7
    Easier for me to see

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Dickie

Dickie Active Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tadcaster, North Yorks
    Have you got a picture where you've put them?

I agree its clearer in black. Plus the '000' in daylight mode bugs me! I much prefer to be doing 60 (mph) rather than 060 (mph)

3. XLRS SPEED TRIP

Sep 1, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Dont have pic, but if you look closely the two sensors are easy enough to see, they are centred up/down and near the left & right edges.

4. XLRS SPEED TRIP

Sep 1, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Dont have pic, but if you look closely the two sensors are easy enough to see, they are centred up/down and near the left & right edges.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Dickie is in the Northern Hemisphere, so the sensors will be centred down/up :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    • Like Like x 2
  7. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I hope you have enjoyed your travels with that beauty. With all the mods and the condition it’s in, I’m sure it will have a new home soon. What’s next Mr. T? Should we start a thread guessing on what your next bike will be? If it’s not a Triumph and you move on from this forum, it was a please sir. I have certainly enjoyed your knowledge, humour and contributions to this forum.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Hey Steve...thank you, but you didn't need to say any of those nice things, because I'll be sticking around ;)

I already have a second Triumph (since June), but had to defect to a different forum to post about it. I've found that the 'other forum' is very quiet compared to this one, and I'll miss the proper bike talk over here :yum

The Speed has been brilliant, but I've ridden it less and less after its new sibling arrived, which is so much better suited to the narrow country lanes near where I live.

It's one of these...and I absolutely love it :heart_eyes:

2020-09-12 17.19.08.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  9. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Well that’s good to hear. That certainly is a very good lookin machine indeed. It’s probably more nimble and easier to maneuver through those country lanes. Looks like a more upright riding position as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Given that it weighs 207kg dry, it's remarkably agile and you can really flick it around. There's masses of torque and it's lovely to ride at 3,000 to 4,000 rpm and feel it pull out of the bends. The ride is solid and forgiving at the same time and the height gives a commanding view of the road and a feeling of "I can ride over anything" (which I can't...because I tried :D).

Don't get me wrong, the Triple is brilliant - and feels like it's hewn from granite after riding the Scrambler. But it's interesting how far less focus and concentration is required on the Scrambler - I'm enjoying a more natural and relaxed experience :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Glad to hear you’re enjoying it Mr. T. Sounds like a very nice motorcycle. One that I’d like to try some day actually.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Congrats on the new bike, @MrTriple . It's a beauty. Hopefully your well-loved RS will go to a good home and someone who appreciates all you've put into it. Glad you're still living in Triumph World! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Thank you Sandi :)

The Triumph Showroom is a temptation nightmare; this was a classic case of falling for the loan bike while my RS was being serviced last summer. It's easy to get attached to a bike, but there's so much else out there that I'd love to try - and change is the best solution (for me). It was nearly a Rocket 3, but I reckon the Scrambler is twice the fun for half the price :D

• Like Like x 3
  14. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I certainly understand the "temptation nightmare" thing, MrT! On more than one occasion I've gone to a Demo Days weekend and eventually (usually sooner than later) wound up with a different bike. Change seems to be a good solution for me, too, but it's not typically because I don't like the bike(s) I have. I hope you enjoy that new Scrambler! Would love to hear a bit of a review and see more photos please :)

• Like Like x 3
  15. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I did start a thread on the Scrambler forum - if you're feeling brave, you could take a look here:
    https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/triple-to-twin-my-scrambler-1200xe.25145/

Be very quiet though - the people over there aren't like us Speedy owners...especially regarding noisy exhausts :p

Mr Twin :confused:

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #937 MrTriple, Sep 15, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Yes...well I'm travelling through the Change Curve and updating my avatar has helped me in coming to terms with what I've done. Then I got sad at being 'MrTriple' and slipped back a bit.

I think that looking into the new 1160 (expected next Spring, according to my Triumph dealer) would be a good way of reaching '7.Problem Solving'.

After listing the RS on Sunday, it took 3 hours and 5 minutes to get an enquiry...and that resulted in a deposit paid on Monday...with collection set for Friday :worried:

Change-Curve.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I think the only way to keep the triple in your avatar is for you to now own three bikes. The current beauty plus ,:rolleyes: let me think, maybe the new speedy and, wait for it, Thruxton RS. Yes, I think that would do it :blush:. The only other alternative I’m afraid is for you to be “Mr. Twin” or “Mr. Parallel” and I think we all can agree that’s not fitting for you :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I really like your thinking and put it to Mrs T but she said no.

That aside, I'm not keen on the Thruxton - plus it's basically the same engine configuration as the Scrambler...but the Rocket 3 (R) would be alright with me :p. That's £50k worth of bikes. It's not going to happen.

I did add a kind of disclaimer to my avatar - so given that I've acknowledged the mathematical error, then it must be OK.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I have to be honest and say I didn’t see the “one cylinder short” underneath :blush: . I think it’s awesome :) . Again, it’s been a lot of fun and I’ve really enjoyed the banter. I guess I’ll have to pop in once in a while on the Scrambler forum to say hi. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1