Featured 2018 Speed Triple Rs – Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by MrTriple, Mar 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #795 MrTriple, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Back in April, when RS owners started to report the now famous '4th gear false neutral' issue with their QuickShifter equipped bikes, I stopped using mine and stuck to manual gear shifts in order to protect the integrity of my gearbox.

I'd not had any missed gears or issues at all - but there was a telltale mark on the 'linkage clamp' where the barrel of the QS made contact. When the modified part surfaced, I attempted to put in a warranty claim as a preventative measure. This was initially met by Triumph with denial, despite the valuable evidence provided on this forum. I was actually told "not to believe everything you read on the internet" :scream:

Today, 5 months later, part T2085100 arrived and was fitted by my dealer. I'm hoping that this will ensure that the QS operates reliably as intended - it certainly felt slick as I worked it through the gears on the (long) way home :yum

IMG_8488.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  2. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    I’ve sort of watched this issue from the outside as my bike and quickshifter have performed flawlessly since day one and continues to do so. I’m using my tried and tested technique of burying my head in the sand so as not to provoke a reaction from my RS.

hope all you guys affected have things sorted but would love to know the real amount of bikes affected vs those sold with no problems?

I’m at 4.5k and I ride em hard!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  3. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #797 MrTriple, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    I'll never know whether mine would have been OK, but I figured best not to chance it (I'm just approaching 3,000km). The dealership hasn't fitted the part to any other bikes (mine is the first) and they say that no one has reported the issue.

You're in good company with your very effective 'bury head in sand' technique - Triumph UK have done exactly the same :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Thanks,

Amazingly it works really well and I’ve now adopted it as a lifestyle!

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I think you guys with bikes that haven’t experienced this issue would be fine even without the new arm. There is more to it than that unfortunately, for the bikes that have the issue. The new arm made no difference on my new gearbox, as it experienced the same issue. The old gearbox had the old arm ground away so there would be no contact, and it had no affect on resolving the issue. I don’t think Triumph knows for sure what’s going on either. I’ve spoken to Triumph North America, who have been in contact with Triumph UK, and they have not come forward with any resolution. The linkage arm contacting the quickshifter isn’t good, but that’s not the whole issue. It’s very puzzling that Triumph engineers can’t resolve this problem.

6. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter

I totally get your frustration and annoyance, like you say if a bike has this issue it’s a mixture of all sorts.

I had issues with a Ducati that totally put me off the brand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1