Featured 2018 Speed Triple Rs – Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by MrTriple, Mar 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. OhCrumOn

OhCrumOn Well-Known Member

May 2, 2019
    Phila
    I haven't done the whole let it run at idle for 12 minutes yet. I can't immediately feel any butt dyno difference but she's still running strong. Haven't been able to get a video but I'm working on it. Mobile phones don't do it justice and my damn mic for my dslr is MIA. With no baffle it's loud, but not as loud at my R1 which has two pipes out back.

Overall, I'm digging it. Looks good, sounds good, fits good. Wish this bike had an extra 1k rpms to twist through though

• Like Like x 2
  2. Allan Engel

Allan Engel Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2018
    Boulder, Colorado USA
    I'm searching out some incite on how well, or not well, our OE Supercorsa SP's function in the wet/rain. Here in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado we experience late afternoon thundershowers almost daily June/July. Somehow I have hitherto avoided being caught out by the rain. I would like to hear personal experiences with these tyres in the wet. Thanks gentlemen.

3. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    i’ve read they aren’t that good in wet conditions, look like they have bugger all tread so no surprise really!

4. Tony Rokins

Tony Rokins Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Reading, U.K.
    Have owned my RS for just over a year now and just back from a 1400 mile trip to SW France. and noticed a couple of issues.
    1. After riding through some admittedly "biblical" rain on the M3 2 weeks ago, the front L/H indicator has condensation in it
    2. Did a 450 mile ride back to Caen on the Saturday. At the ferry terminal I noticed what appears to be a burnt oil stain on the silencer link pipe, next to the R/H heal guard. When I cleaned the bike last night, there was an oily film on the R/H side of the rear wheel.
    I'm planning on going back to my dealer tomorrow, but just wondered if any one else has seen either of these issues?
    T

5. Screechers

Screechers New Member

Feb 18, 2019
    Minnesota
    I rode through some heavy rain with the supercorsas and they handled surprisingly well (in rain mode). My dealer screwed up on a tire warranty and now I have Corsa Rossos which do much better in the wet. Still don't compare to the Michelin pilot road 5's my previous bike had.

6. Heyho

Heyho Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Scotland
    Got back from a weekend away up the highlands and let’s say it was typical Scotlandnoticed my back right indicator has condensation in it..

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    It's time to get back on track with my ownership thread. It's not that I'm not interested in everyone's SC Project cans :yum but this thread was intended to catalogue life with my Speed Triple RS and feature the modifications and accessories that work out well...or not so well.

I've not done much in a while, but I have just fitted a Quad Lock handlebar mount to go with their iPhone case – and it's excellent! If you're not familiar with them, take a look here (and the 10% discount code is QL89228 ;)).

The phone case is robust and the mount design doesn't make it unduly bulky:

Quad_Lock_1.JPG

The bracket offers plenty of options to get it just right and there are three inserts to cope with different handlebar widths. You can omit the 'extended arm' part and mount directly to the bracket, or use the arm which has click positions to mount in any orientation. I bought an optional red tab, because it HAS to match the colour scheme :p

Quad_Lock_2.JPG

The phone locks in position with a simple push and twist – and the red tab is pressed while twisting to release it (one hand operation). You can mount the phone in either portrait or landscape. Google Maps with voice through my Sena now works brilliantly...and the phone is at hand for using the Shell app when filling up.

Quad_Lock_3.JPG

A little expensive maybe, but simple, effective and very low profile. Highly recommended :)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Have used them for a while now, Excellent bits of kit.
    No longer use dedicated sat nav for trips, I just use my phone.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    I've bought a second hand Tom Tom and have a power supply for it. I've done a trip using phone and couldn't get on with it plus it burnt through data? Have they improved the apps? Think I used an app instead of maps.

Plus couldn't charge phone?

10. Andybow

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    I put a usb power outlet by the handlebars and have used
    My route app nav, as you can plan rides or whole trips.
    It’s been brilliant

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Andybow

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    We did spain and Portugal last year with that app and it works a treat

9C2EACCB-F8DB-4220-86FC-48ACC3AB72CF.png

• Like Like x 1
  12. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Ok. Well I've sort of committed to the Sat Nav now, I like the ease of using the screen with gloves and it comes off the mount really easy to.

Did you go down bridge rd today by any chance?

13. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Yeah that looks more user friendly than the Tom Tom in terms of planning routes.

14. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Ah right cheers!

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  15. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I have an Optimate lead hidden behind the left side cowl - which accepts an Optimate USB adapter in which to plug the Lightning cable for my phone. The adapter and most of the cabling stays neatly out of sight.

I'm thinking of trying the TomTom app - I have a TomTom car sat nav and use the MyDrive website for planning routes (which works really well over their cloud service). Google just seems to do what it wants, rather than what I want :expressionless:

16. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    how do
    That sounds a good idea but is that then ‘live’ all the time?

17. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #756 MrTriple, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Yes it is permanently live...but obviously I take the phone with me as soon as the ignition is switched off...and once home, I remove the USB adapter too (which probably draws a little current).

As an alternative, I might run an USB extension cable from the factory socket under the seat cowl (which is switched). Or...investigate the spare accessory connector, rumoured to be somewhere behind the right side cowl (used for heated grips I think?).

I managed to tame Google Maps a bit by setting up the route with extra stops to take me where I want. I send the 'shared URL' with my phone and it opens with the Google Maps app. Seems to work well.

I'm also using the Ordnance Survey app which is brilliant around the lanes of Essex - and the maps can be stored offline too. It's not designed to give turn-by-turn directions, but it gives current location and aids exploring...like this:

IMG_93369C3E1FC0-1-2.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  18. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Today was a bit of an adventure - I left sunny/rainy/sunny/rainy Essex at 11:00 am for a trip to Cheltenham.

On the M25/A41 it rained harder than I've ever experienced before on a bike (it's because I wore leathers), but I made good progress through the almost stationary traffic (smug). The rain stopped and by Aylesbury I'd dried out and made it across town to the faster and twistier A road to Thame and Oxford.

Then, while riding on the very smooth tarmac of the part re-surfaced road, there was a massive pop and crunch. The bike initially felt OK, but with the van behind me flashing his headlights, I came to a controlled stop about 100m later.

Game over. A blade-like slit in the tread that was too much for my repair kit to plug - and a similar shaped chunk out of my carbon rear hugger. I'm no idea what I hit. Loads of people stopped to offer help while I waited for the AA - including a lady that offered help and then returned 10 minutes later with a chilled bottle of cold water, because she said I looked like I needed it. What an amazing act of kindness!

I used the AA app to summon assistance (just a few clicks and it sends the vehicle details and current position) and they arrived within 30 minutes, quickly agreeing that a repair wasn't possible. I have Relay, so thinking that they would need to send a recovery truck, I was amazed to see that the van carries an entire folding-out-trailer-gizmo that's hidden behind the tailgate (wheels and all). Amazing...and home 90 minutes later :)

The Supercorsa was surprisingly hot, soft and pliable when I first inspected it - I know they are supposed to do that, but it's no wonder that they pick up sharp objects (this is the third time). I'm inclined to replace like for like because it needs to match the front...but it's got me wondering.

All ends well I guess - and a feeling of "it could have been worse" that offsets the abandoned day and cost of a tyre. At least I saved the petrol on the way home :yum

Aylesbury_Flat_1.JPG
    Aylesbury_Flat_2.JPG
    Aylesbury_Flat_3.JPG
    Aylesbury_Flat_4.JPG

19. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Glad your safe MrTriple, had a similer experience last year on my thunderbird...... wasn't 30 minutes though try 4hrs, we waited hahaha

IMG-20180505-WA0003.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #759 MrTriple, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Thanks Pete - I'm so impressed at the speed of the AA's 'extraction'. Looks like you were well prepared though...that's a sleeping bag on the back...right? :laughing:

21. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Hahaha we were prepared alright, tent, sleeping bags...... just wasnt prepared enough to sleep at the side of the road :joy::joy:
    It Was a hell of a day..... me and the missus were half cut from 2 drinks after that episode :p