Featured 2018 Speed Triple Rs – Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by MrTriple, Mar 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Thanks for posting this Reggie - it provides evidence that taking off the perfectly functional Arrow exhausts that the bike has been set up for, ruins the torque curve in particular - but can be fixed with a software tune.

Have you left your cans untouched with baffles and restrictor discs still in place?

What you need to do now is drill out your discs and see if it messes anything up :D

2. White-Vador

White-Vador Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2019
    South of France
    Hello,

I will like to know your opinion, please
    I just received my PC5, ordered before seeing the work of hill top
    for once I hesitate between resell the PC5 and send my ECU
    or a custom map on the Dyno ?
    what is the best?
    i had on my bike : AR V3, KN, SAI off
    thank you

3. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Well Mr Triple, I have not drilled out my baffles. I am wary of doing that in case it messes it up !
    I have shown mine ... now someone with drilled out baffle disks needs to show theirs !

Not very scientific but still an interesting comparison.

Dyno man mentioned that decat may improve gas flow ..about 120 quid .

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Definitely interesting - who needs science!

Oh come on Reggie - drill them out and get back on the dyno, then go back when you've hacked out your cat ;)

Hilltop told me they do their runs in 6th to expose the weakest points - does anyone know what is usual if you're looking to get the highest bhp reading (for willy-waving purposes). I've become self-conscious of my smaller-than-yours 134.4bhp reading.

It certainly doesn't feel low on power!

5. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Mine was in 6th too as it was just a power reading I wanted. As far as I know the Dyno will take account of gearing etc through the RPM reading/ wheel speed so should be consistent. The thing with Dynos is that they are used to COMPARE more so than absolute measurements as there are several variables in the measured results, air temp, humidity, air pressure etc as well as the type of Dyno and its calibration. Not to mention the weight of the Dyno tester as you mentioned earlier, for consistency and your chain condition etc.. ... So don't be disheartened by your very slightly lower figures. At least you KNOW its running good and the torque is back !
    I did contact Hilltop months ago and they suggested about 127 rwhp for an S3 RS to be normal .... I queried whether they meant the Street Triple but they said no... So by that measure for their dyno you have a high figure :) I might consider a Decat in future but prefer a low can and remap to the modified arrows I think .

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    That's so hard to answer...my son has a PC5 on his Daytona 675R and would now go to Hilltop given the choice. I'm convinced that it's a very effective solution - all with no visible or even detectable footprint.

What's the total cost of fitting a PC5? About £650? The PC5 unit can be re-used, but basically, you spend £300 on mapping each bike you move it to - so the cost is essentially the same. I'm not sure if that made sense :confused:

You know what I would do...but you have to be happy with your own decision :)

Hilltop don't recommend using a K&N filter by the way - Jeff said the oil vapour/molecules coat the highly sensitive sensors over time (I think). He also said something about hydro-carbons and skewed readings, so I had to resort to nodding in agreement. I know what he meant...I just can't explain it :weary_face:

• Useful Useful x 2
  7. Mogwai

Mogwai New Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Melbourne
    So what does he recommend then? OEM? I just bought some k&n filters : unamused:

8. Mogwai

Mogwai New Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Melbourne
    Hey Bud,

What axle cover is that?

9. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Yep - OEM filter. I've heard and read this a lot recently...definitely don't over-oil it, because it does 'breathe in' the excess.

I stripped down the throttle body on my Jeep and it had a black, greasy coating over everything - presumably from the massive K&N cone filter that I fitted about 10 years ago (and always keep clean and oiled).

My son fitted one to his Daytona and can't tell the difference...and he's switching back to OEM when it's next due a check. It's an utter pain in the bum to get the filter out of the Daytona, where the Speed is a couple of screws and it slides out.

• Useful Useful x 2
  10. Dickie

Dickie Active Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tadcaster, North Yorks
    My 2015 Speed Triple R made 128bhp at Hilltop after the flash, with K&N Filter fitted, Arrow cans.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stue007

Stue007 Active Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Germany
    #650 Stue007, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    I don't have any axel protection installed. The black thing on the rear wheel is just an aluminium cover from the Triumph accessories.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Chester Monty

Chester Monty Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2016
    Chester
    Anybody had a yearly service yet or been quoted any prices?

13. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Mines in on 18th, hoping its not more than about 150 but didn't get a quote :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  14. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Booked in on Sat 18 May and expecting it to be "under £200".

I've got no issues other than a slightly sticky joystick button - they won't do more than clean the switch as a first remedy, but if it happens again, it will be replaced.

• Useful Useful x 2
  15. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I didn't ask either, as I wouldn't take it anywhere else at this 'under warranty' stage. To be fair, the dealer has been pretty good in the past and the cost of oil in particular has competed with online discounted prices.

Hope it all goes well for you!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    As promised pics of the new colour schemes.
    Look a bit nike airmax to me hahaha

IMG-20190507-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20190507-WA0000.jpeg

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Ikc

Ikc New Member

Jul 19, 2018
    Dorset
    Not a lot of effort put into those...id expect better for a 13 grand Bike!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    The old bike rules.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yeah, not big on the new colours. The old colours look classier imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    I'd love to know what focus group actually came up with those design's, the white and red looks canny but the black...... whey Howay man triumph, please just do a stealth satin black.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    One of the things I’ve always appreciated with Triumph is the attention to detail and premium build quality, and this does not compliment that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1