Featured 2018 Speed Triple Rs – Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by MrTriple, Mar 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Sounds reasonable. I just don’t see how the rings will seat with the cylinder walls unless there is enough pressure to make that happen. That’s why I chose this method. Putting around at low revs certainly isn’t going to make that happen. This is definitely a controversial topic. Anyway moving on, hows that sweet ride of yours treating you? I had mine out for two days in nearly 20 degrees Celsius. What an awesome machine. Love the low end torque. :p

2. Stue007

Stue007 Active Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Germany
    I think the Pirelli Rosso III and the Metzeler Sportec M7 RR are nearly the same cup of tee. Should work both fantastic on the Speedy. I will go for the Rosso III I think. Hm... :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Looks like the M7 RR might have a traction edge in less than desirable conditions. I may try them as I have had the Rosso 3, which was awesome by the way.

4. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Wow, are the road 5’s really that good? If so, might have to try them as I’m probably not going push them to the limit. I do ride aggressively in the mountain twisties, but is sounds like these can handle it. I appreciate you input.

5. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    One aspect of tyres for sports versus others is the profile, not just the compound. If you go to a more touring based tyre the tyre will typically be more rounded in section and then give slower steering. Just something to throw in the mix... I got Pirelli Rosso Corsa 2s which are a bit like Supercorsas with a harder center for better wear but they have a definite band of soft rubber then hard rubber and the soft is wearing more than the hard and giving a step. So for grip they are excellent but I expect some strange handling traits as they were further .. Rosso 3s are probably better for the road..

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Here is a review of the road 5 tire. It does look quite good.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Rosso 3 for me, had them on a few different bikes now and always loved the way they feel to me. Good on track, road and for touring

6A7C7014-A1CF-4CFB-B0C2-D7016C540268.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  8. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yup nice tire. Had a set on my Street last year.

9. Sideburn

Sideburn Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    Dang, that looks nice man! I'm thinking of going the SC-Project SC 1 exhaust myself. Need to talk with the dealer a bit about options, mapping etc. Really don't care if it looks better and is louder if the power is crap...not a good tradeoff IMHO.

10. Richard Neale

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    The power is not crap it's definitely perky . The TC light was coming on in 3rd for antii wheely so if anything there is more. But for me the good thing is it's kept the bottom end strong too. I wanted the SC but there was no info and it's not cheap so I went for this for now . Not a lot on money ..

11. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Not a lot of money, looks good and no downsides with power delivery - what's not to like :)

12. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    I want to love it but I'm torn with the looks, it looks empty (not in a bad way) i just love the look of the double arrows they look chunky but then again they do have a down side they cover the work of art which is the ohlins suspension which makes it a right royal pain in the arse to clean with them on.......
    I think I'd be forever changing it back and forth :joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    There's the conundrum. I just became compelled to change it in the end, after two and a half years of deliberating (since the 2016 R). I've not looked back, but the Arrows are in a box just in case :)

It's not like it's compulsory to change these things...
    ...but once there's an itch :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Yeah I totally understand, I want a single 3-1 but skining my knuckles every other week fitting it back to standard might not be worth it :joy::eek:

15. Richard Neale

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Will be really interesting to see what remapping can achieve for the 3 into 1 option at Hiltop !

16. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I like how the twin cans have an exclusive look, not something you see all the time. And I think the chunky look of the twins suits the muscular look of the bike, as it balances it out imo. But I also see the benefit to the lowboy. Every day when I look at my bike I think to myself, what a sexy muscular beast it is :heart_eyes:.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Sideburn

Sideburn Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    Yea I’m pretty much in this camp too. May drill out mine but otherwise leave it stock.

• Like Like x 1
  18. David Moors

David Moors New Member

Dec 21, 2018
    New Zealand
    Inspired by the RS posts here, I have just completed my upgrades. Tail tidy, AR exhaust, power commander, k&n air filter. I too struggled with the idea of loosing the unique twin cans. I can always restore back to OEM if inclined too. This morning was the first ride to work. It was much louder than expected. Certainly back to wearing ear plugs. I found myself riding at lower revs to keep the sound down in 50k zones. On the motorway, not so bad but I would certainly get buzzing in my ear after 30 minutes. Love the clean look. I see it as a muscular guy with skinny lower body . Haven’t ridden with ‘anger’ to comment on power. However DYNO tuning to create a map for the power command is early next week. I did not do a base DYNO but will post results after map. Here are some pictures during the build. Finished at 2am. Will take a nicer picture in the weekend. It is my 4th Triumph and 2nd Speed. PS did not install the carbon hugger. Did not have tool to remove the wheel. Thanks for the great resource and sharing. Special credit to Mr.Triple.

C811A56A-FA0A-4D28-874F-5E4E95AA2B1F.jpeg

FDE2B096-9CC4-4FAE-91DF-60CC921CE6DE.jpeg

C00B1D52-1DA9-4EAB-8D8C-9100FC70E623.jpeg

D2302B9C-3720-4103-B770-05710723377E.jpeg

3CF808F7-8E5F-40A6-A02A-D8A914D6C1E8.jpeg

16E3C583-EFA4-42A0-A641-3EAA821E3D08.jpeg

CAC7F759-3529-4545-809B-8552A37A8368.jpeg

8F948C7B-8260-491B-B6B2-E87E4AA26AC4.jpeg

E93DCEBC-AE83-4F1B-BE90-CAE1F5EDDF78.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
    • Love You Love You x 1
  19. Richard Neale

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Looks good Will be very interesting to see what results you get on DYNO !
    Some reckon Power commander is a risk on these bikes. You can prove this not to be the case hopefully !

I reckon you will be ordering a CF hugger pretty soon ;)

20. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #560 MrTriple, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    I'm so pleased that you've found some inspiration amongst these pages, because I find forums like this to be an invaluable resource...and it's just great to be able to share in what works and doesn't work on our bikes.

You've certainly not held back with your upgrades - I love the pics on the weight scales...I was thinking "don't forget the pillion pegs" but then I scrolled down :)

You went a stage further than me with your tank off - and your exhaust looks fabulous. When you say much louder than expected, is that with the baffle out?

I think you're spot on with your riding at lower revs comment...with baffle out, I was holding back, which might have contributed to a feeling of less power at lower revs. Mine's being remapped on Monday...so I'll be back with news of that and hopefully a dyno film clip.

Did you notice the handling difference too?

• Like Like x 3