Featured 2018 Speed Triple Rs – Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by MrTriple, Mar 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Jesus, I just can’t keep up :grinning:. Very nice.

2. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Hey, did you ever find the aluminum grips you were looking for?

3. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    You ordered a huger what? o_O

I guess size really does matter :p

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Sideburn

Sideburn Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    No, going to talk with the dealer when I take it in towards the end of this month to see what options rizoma has.

5. Sideburn

Sideburn Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    Stupid iphone autocorrect doesn't know what a hugGer is I guess. Yea, my hugger is huger than yours ;) I'm compensating for you guys and your new exhausts since I'm sticking with the arrows.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  6. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #466 MrTriple, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Not the most exciting update today, but the RS is almost a year old and I've just renewed the insurance.

Mine was one of the first on the road, and at the time of registration, insurers hadn't got it listed on their systems. The R had cost £282 pa and it was a shock to find the RS was virtually uninsurable. My existing insurer (Hastings) declined it, and most quotes were coming in between £950 and £1,500. I eventually settled at £563 with LV.

This year, it's LV that can't compete, and I'm back with Hastings at £295 with full value of accessories covered.

Of course age, experience, claim history, offences, security etc. all have to be factored - in my case, I'm 'clean' but it's the geographic area that pushes the cost up.

It's crazy how the cheapest can swap with the most expensive, so it pays to shop around each year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    My word, I currently have 3 bikes insured for that amount my rs, thunderbird and a street 675.
    Maybe it's time to move to county Durham Mrtriple :joy:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Stue007

Stue007 Active Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Germany
    #468 Stue007, Mar 17, 2019
    New owner in the club - have picked up my Speed Triple RS yesterday at my Triumph dealer here in Düsseldorf, Germany. Unfortunately it's pouring down the whole day.

Installed the Evotech tail tidy and waiting for a small Shin Yo reflector which I will attach with a third screw at the number plate holder. The Evotech radiator guards will be installed in a minute. Can't wait for a ride out with my very first Streetfighter. Hopefully the weather will become better during the week.

After playing around with the bike setup, display settings and so one I gave here an energy shot - ready to race... :yum

Some lousy smartphone shootings in my cave... :cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  9. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #469 MrTriple, Mar 17, 2019
    I cannot respond fully, because there is no emoji for 'sick' or 'envious' - but this one will do :weary_face:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #470 MrTriple, Mar 17, 2019
    Welcome Stue - and your RS is looking lovely :heart_eyes:

Well done for ditching the tail untidy as a first (critical) mod...and I can see the same Triumph crash sliders that I have on mine. Amber reflector removal is the next essential job for most of us - do you have anything else planned?

Hope you get some better weather before long...you obviously need to watch those unscrubbed tyres on wet roads :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #471 MrTriple, Mar 17, 2019
    It's very fiddly and needs some extreme patience, but you can pass an Optimate connection cable down the left side of the battery compartment so that it pops out against the frame, behind the left carbon fairing/trim. The rubber connector lodges neatly inside like this (looking down):

IMG_7270.JPG

You can't see it at all when it's tucked away, and it pops out easily when you're charging.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    Welcome Stue,very Nice bike! Hope you’ll have some sunshine soon to take her out.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    What year is the Street Triple and how does it compare with the RS? I have a 2016 Street but have not even started up the RS yet, and it’s killing me. Maybe soon as the weather has finally improved.

14. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Welcome Stue, looking forward to see what mods yo do to her:p.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Hi Steve
    I've Got a 2008 street triple, that is a hard question my man, performance wise the rs is an absolute animal I'd say it has way too much power for the road, the street on the other is quick but more friendly.
    Handling wise, the rs feels great but the street just feels better straight out the box, I have done some seriously long rides on it, the rs I think it needs to setup properly, which I've not done yet.
    I love the street triple and fell in love with it's charm and character.:heart_eyes:
    The speed on the other hand I've not bonded with it yet and being such a bloody expensive bike to buy the fear of breaking it to find out it's capabilities is kinda putting me off doing it. :tired_face:
    I hope the weather your end improves and I'd love to hear your thoughts of both bikes. :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I agree on how easy the Street is to ride right from the get go. It handles very well and so light. I just wanted more torque than it offers, and I think the Speed RS will deliver. I do a lot of highway riding so I think the Speed is a better choice. If I was only city and back roads I’d keep the Street as it’s probably a better bike for that. Cheers.

17. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Follow up re CarbonFBR hugger. Lovely finish in it but definitely not a straight forward fit. Managed to get all fixings in with. A little hole enlarging but it twists when tightened as the new hugger mounting faces are not parallel with the faces on the swingarm. Also RH mount about 5mm gap ! ... Need to make some bushes and use shoulder screws etc. Shame really as it's a very nicely finished item . Maybe the mould is getting worn.
    My RS is good for me performance wise . My fireblade (954) too much to thrash on the road. Also I found the Street RS to encourage you to rev it for the top end so Speed better in that respect as it's grunty without reving up too high .. each to their own of course

• Like Like x 1
  18. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Definetly get the suspension set up for you. It makes a huge difference, the suspension is brilliant and setting up really changes it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I agree. I’ve been reading and watching everything I can on suspension set up. Dave Moss Tuning is a great resource. I have sag settings front and back complete at 40mm. I’m going to start there and cut it back if needed. Compression and rebound are set to comfort for the break in period. The spring (34/100) in the rear shock seems like it will work for my weight (13 stones).

20. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Hi Andy
    I'm definitely going to get it looked at soon, once the weather changes anyway.