Featured 2018 Speed Triple Rs – Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by MrTriple, Mar 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Looks like these have no baffle option, racing use only ... so I guess its a question of how loud ..

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Thanks for sharing this - it's six months later than the release date they announced, but at last there's more choice.

https://shop.sc-project.com/en-GB/Bike_TRIUMPH_SPEED-TRIPLE-1050-2018-2019-S-RS/

All low options (I like the S1) and the price is less than AR (which don't include VAT).

My current opinion of mine...is that I love the looks, the sound, and the improvement in handling, but it DEFINITELY needs a remap to bring back some of the old character (low-end grunt). Won't be long now - probably next month.

3. Richard Neale

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Sorry , seems they DO have a DB killer but are listed for racing only, so probably not as noisy with DB killer but still louder than legal limit. Would be nice to find out !

4. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I have a SC Project Conic on my Street Triple. Absolutely love it. Much better sound without being too loud, tried with dB killer out, stupidly loud. It was listed as race use only as well. I believe because it exceeds legal limits they have to say that. At the moment I absolutely love the look of the twin under seat cans, gives the bike a muscular look that is different than most bikes on the road. Now I could change my mind latter on in this lustfull relationship :heart_eyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Had a few Sc projects over the years, just as good as any top makes imo, so think I’m gonna go for it, even though I have a arrow low boy which is meant to have a small link pipe made to fit the RS

• Like Like x 1
  6. Richard Neale

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Great ! Let us know what it's like on the bike !

7. Richard Neale

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Do SC have dyno figures for their products? I believe SP claim about 4hp increase ...

8. GOT

GOT Member

Nov 21, 2018
    Torquay Australia

I'm with you on this one re the double cans. (although maybe we are talking about different cans ;) )

After years of Japanese bikes I feel that putting the single pipe on makes it one of the crowd.

Sure with the 2 cans its heavier, & really does nothing for engine performance or handling, but then I ain't Mick Doohan either!

The twin cans, single sided swing arm (another waste of time) are what gives the bike it's character, much like the wrong number of cylinders! :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Well said. And for the record, there is nothing like a nice set of cans :p

10. Sideburn

Sideburn Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    +1

Oh and I like the RS exhaust as is. It is unique among the ordinary.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Andybow

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Nothing there at the moment, They usually release vids pretty soon after putting new things online

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Bikerdave

Bikerdave Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Tamworth
    Yes I was thinking about the Connectivity situation but, as I had a Garmin Zumo on my last bike I've decided to have the wiring attached to battery and continue with that ... if it aint broke and all that ..... it's always worked well using the Zumo with my Interphone Bluetooth headset .....

13. Andybow

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Not ordered yet, I always get stuff from my local dealer as it’s easier as I have a ongoing account with them, they’re having trouble with SC project and it will take a few weeks to come in, as soon as it’s on I’ll post a vid

14. Biffig

Biffig New Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Norway
    I just ordered a SC Project S1 muffler in titanium for my RS. I have never been comfortable with the dual under seat exhaust, and I think the SC muffler will give the bike a more modern design. The dual exhaust was cool in 2005, but not in 2019 IMHO. I will write a review once installed and a test ride is done. In my part of the world it is still winter so need to wait a few
    more loooong weeks.

15. Biffig

Biffig New Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Norway
    Hi Mr.T. I have noticed that you went from being happy with the AR slip-on (with the Db-killer installed) to that it need some adjustment to that it DEFIENITLY needs a remap thru the winter. Can you please elaborate on reason for the need of a remap? I have just ordered a SC Project slip-on and I´m hoping that it will work without a remap. Is it only the lack of bottom end grunt that is changing or will the throttle / fuelling become snatcy etc?

• Like Like x 1
  16. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    That's a great question Biffig :)

I don't think I've changed my view on how it rides - it's more about coming to the conclusion that I'd definitely prefer to have it remapped, because I want to know that I'm getting the best out of it.

With baffle in or out, it's still smooth and refined with no hint of being 'snatchy'. With the baffle IN, it feels almost as punchy in first and second gear (as it did with the Arrows), but rolling on from the 2,000-3,000 rpm band, doesn't have the same initial pull in third and above. With the baffle OUT, this is exaggerated and I sense that first and second gear feels a bit lacking at lower revs too. As I've said before, all the noise with the baffle out makes it harder (for me) to feel what the engine's doing, so maybe it's a placebo thing.

According to Hilltop, their map will allow the ECU to relearn and adjust, with baffle in, out, or even if I put the original Arrow cans back on. I'd like that flexibility.

I'm just trying to work out a date that I can get up there, and I'll be booking it in very early April.

Be sure to post up your findings (and pictures!) of you SC can - very interested to see and hear about it :yum

• Like Like x 1
  17. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    If you search back through older posts on here, you'll find that I said (and still agree) that the twin Arrows define the look of the Speed Triple. They suit the bike and make it what it is.

I fancied a change though - and really like it. I walked round the MCN Motorcycle show at ExCeL the other week and had a good look at everything on offer. I honestly can't find anything that fits the bill for me, over the Speed Triple - build quality, performance, looks...and above all, the riding position.

There's no way however, that sticking a short can on this bike makes it look another 'run-of-the-mill' Japanese bike. Of course it's a matter of opinion...and everyone else is wrong :p

TS3_AR_GP3_GP1R_1.JPG

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Richard Neale

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Yes it's unique throughout ! The street triple has lost the twin pipes and all the better for it I reckon. This MV 800s are pretty unique looking too spoiled by the cheap looking triple exhaust, .I really like my RS and could have bought any bike within reason absolutely no regrets . Perfect for the road .

• Like Like x 1
  19. Richard Neale

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    I notice a few comments on the net about the baffle in the SC cans killing top end to below standard ... At 103l db without baffles this is looking a lot like form over function for the road . Too loud even for Oulton Park with baffle out .. anyone have any opinions or experience with SC "race" cans . Bottom end will no doubt be chopped by the shorter system too. Maybe the baffles can be modified for better result. ?

20. Fitz Brundage

Fitz Brundage Member

May 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    I apologize if I missed it but have you posted video of your Triple with the SC Project exhaust? Perhaps like others, I am interested to get some idea it is. I would like to lose the weight of the twin exhaust without gaining too much noise. I've been hoping that Akrapovic would release a low boy for the RS but my patience is running out.