Featured 2018 Speed Triple Rs – Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by MrTriple, Mar 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Owen2737

Owen2737 New Member

Mar 24, 2018
    N Ireland
    Lovely bike.HTR.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    All my bits are now on - and it's just anything connected to the exhaust that's caused a problem. I have a carbon heat shield that is the same size and shape as the old bike, but the front mounting tabs are now further forward, so it won't fit.

She's looking really sharp with the tail tidied up and the extra bits of carbon are subtle but make a big difference.

I'll try and get some more pics tomorrow.

3. Fazerboy

Fazerboy Member

May 24, 2016
    London
    That’s great thanks.

Do you think the wheels would be a straight swap?

4. goggy

goggy New Member

Mar 28, 2018
    East Yorkshire
    Hi great bike.Picked mine up last wednesday dealer tried to fit low boy but exhaust ports are smaller on RS. Enjoy

• Like Like x 1
  5. markm3006

markm3006 New Member

Very very nice :)

Is the USB outlet switched or Live all the time ?

6. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I'd guess so, but really can't say. Having had the back wheel off, it looks to be exactly the same configuration as my 2016.

7. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    That's interesting - so the exhaust system is entirely different, including the headers.

You must have been one of the first on the road :)

8. goggy

goggy New Member

Mar 28, 2018
    East Yorkshire
    It it would seem so. They said everything else would fit the same. Just heads were bigger on 16/17

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    It's switched (just checked with the ignition off and my phone didn't charge).

Not that you can fit anything in there...the available space is minute - reduced further by the connectors and loom that have have to be relocated after fitting the tail tidy.

IMG_7170.JPG

10. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    First post for years, had a 2011 speed, have a mt10 at the mo, Love the rs , Have a test in a couple of weeks, lovely bike op

11. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    The MT10 has had a couple of mentions in this thread - a very respectable bike in my opinion. My son test rode one yesterday as Yamaha had an 'open day' and I think it's a done deal...he was very impressed. He tried an MT-09 SP first, and then the 10, and found the 10 easier to ride. More planted, more confidence inspiring...and much (much) more exhilarating.

Enjoy your RS test ride - and don't hesitate to post back again if you buy one ;)

12. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Cheers MrTriple,
    Have enjoyed the MT but it’s never given me the warm feeling the speed did, have deviated over the years with a multistrada and k1300s but have come back to nakeds as I can still tour on them, have fun and they are comfy.
    Think the RS is pretty much a done deal without riding it, but will still get a decent test when the weather hopefully gets better

• Like Like x 1
  13. markm3006

markm3006 New Member

Thanks for the info Mr Triple, got the Scottish Motorcycle show this weekend so I'll have a good look at the RS there & possibly a test ride the week after when Shirlaw's demo is on the road :grinning:

I asked Triumph about last years model low boy exhaust fitting the 2018 model & got this reply -

The 2017 Arrow Low Boy will not fit and there isn’t any exhaust system available for the new Speed Triple except the slip on Arrow Cans that come as standard on the RS version.

Best wishes :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  14. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Enjoy the show, but definitely pursue a test ride as the differences really become apparent once you switch on that display, here it running...and then get riding :yum

Exhaust options will have to wait!

15. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Looking forward to the pics with your extras fitted! (Blatant hint, sorry!)

• Like Like x 1
  16. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    :blush: There's a little more to do, but I'll get on to it later today. Pics will follow if it stops raining.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ccr32

ccr32 Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2018
    London
    Lovely looking bike Mr T, congrats. Looking forward to seeing it once you've finished with your upgrades!

I'm tempted to go and ride a RS though it's a bit of a dangerous game - I've barely had my 2017 R for six months!

Looking at your pic the subframe looks pretty similar to the older model. Have you (or anyone else) ever tried fitting a Kriega tail back to one? I've looked at mine and can't work out what to put the rear loop straps around as the rear end of the subframe is solid.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ccr32

ccr32 Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2018
    London
    Ah! I looked at the bolt holes for the grab rail and wondered if/how I could use them... Did you make a hole in the strap and put a bolt through it, or something else?

(Sorry for the thread hijack!)

19. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Thank you - she's all set up now...but it's pouring with rain. I'll grab a couple of snaps in the garage to tied us over :yum

I feel your pain - you can't fail to like RS, and it can't be worth changing so soon, but once you try it, you'll be stuffed. Best advice is to stay at home o_O

I haven't tried a tail pack, but don't you untuck the straps that are already attached under the pillion seat? Or maybe they're not secure enough.

20. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    The sun came out, yet it rained even more, so here are some garage photos to share what I've been up to.

Triumph fitted the shift assist, an alarm and the rubber tank pad (which is peeling off!) and I've added this lot:

- Brake reservoirs - front and rear
    - Clutch cable guide
    - Fork protectors
    - Frame protectors
    - LED slimline indicators
    - R&G engine case sliders
    - Carbon fuel tank infills
    - Carbon hugger
    - Carbon chain guard
    - Carbon tail light surround
    - Carbon heat shield
    - Evotech tail tidy
    - Evotech radiator and oil cooler guards
    - Pillion blanking bolts
    - Philips diamond vision halogen lamps
    - Denali sound bomb mini

I had to make an adaptor bracket for the carbon heat shield, because the forward attachment tabs are in a different place. I used a wire coat hanger (for now) and some silicon tube to prevent any vibration. I think it makes a real difference to the way the bike looks - it's subtle but striking against the white belly pan.

Everything has been treated to ACF-50 and I've sealed and waxed all the carbon and paintwork :heart_eyes:

2018-04-02 13.42.49.jpg
    2018-04-02 13.44.04.jpg
    2018-04-02 13.44.18.jpg
    2018-04-02 13.45.56.jpg
    2018-04-02 13.46.41.jpg
    2018-04-02 13.47.13.jpg
    2018-04-02 13.47.42.jpg
    2018-04-02 13.48.09.jpg
    2018-04-02 13.49.34.jpg
    2018-04-02 13.50.06.jpg

Next job - get out and ride it :laughing:

• Like Like x 4