Featured 2018 Speed Triple Rs – Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by MrTriple, Mar 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mike in NH

Mike in NH Member

May 17, 2018
    New Hampshire
    Ok, I have a couple questions :no_mouth:
    So your suspension guy only played with the sag, compression and rebound only? Do you know what he set the sag to? Did he recomend a spring change at all? At 6'2" I'm always in need of spring change (not tracking the bikes) to get the suspension right...:confused:

2. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Glad you like :)

I figure that I'm more interested in how it runs and how it feels, over actually knowing what the figures are (albeit it would undoubtedly explain what's going on). If I head in that direction, it will be in the spring - all I can say for now, is that it's better baffle in, and it certainly appears to pulls like crazy in all the gears.

I get it though - we don't actually know if it's really any better.

(I think it is :p)

3. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    This suspension stuff is a black art to me (despite years of fitting height/camber/bump/rebound adjustable stuff with knobs, to cars).

I made a trial and error tweak to the rear when I first got the bike, setting it to R15 C18 (instead of R16 C19 as standard...I think).

I asked for a note of the new rear settings (R14 C20) as they can be inadvertently moved, but I honestly wouldn't want to mess with the front. He adjusted the preload on the front and rear, but I can't give you any references.

I'm 75kg and 179cm. Add 9kg for hat, boots and leathers.

Not much help I know :confused:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    He adjusted the preload front and rear - said the rear was on the stiff side, but felt it would be OK. I don't know what the sag is set too - all I can say is it feels great (to me!).

I'm sorry...this is why I took it to someone who knows what they are doing o_O

5. Mike in NH

Mike in NH Member

May 17, 2018
    New Hampshire
    No problem, I know how you feel :neutral:

• Love You Love You x 1
  6. ellerslie

ellerslie Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Rickmansworth
    I live a 20 minute ride from Dunmow, I am going to do this, thanks for the tip.

There's deffo some mileage in a group buy at Hilltop I reckon.

Just need a guinipig to go first on a before and after so we know it's worth it

• Like Like x 1
  7. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Safety (and savings) in numbers at Hilltop maybe. Keep us posted if you get a suspension tune - a second opinion is definitely a good idea (just in case I'm a really bad judge of what feels good o_O).

There are some brilliant roads around Dunmow - my favourite is Takely to Hatfield Broadoak. My route back on Saturday was via Fyfield and Ongar...I consider myself lucky being on the edge of some great countryside.

8. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    There's been a few of us pigs already ;):D

9. ellerslie

ellerslie Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Rickmansworth
    No offense meant of course

Has anyone done a before and after on an RS then?

Thanks

Chris

10. SSimon

SSimon New Member

Nov 15, 2018
    London
    It’s been said already but I’ll say it again: this thread is a treasure trove of tips and info for the RS! I’m getting a black RS next week coming from a grey Speed R 16 and I cannot wait!!
    I just took all the extras off my current bike (evotech tail tidy, rad and oil cooler guard, usb charger, etc) to swap them over. I've put back on the hideous scaffolding at the rear together with the road legal plate and forgot how ugly it looks without the tail tidy!
    MrTriple, your bike looks flipping awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Welcome to the forum Simon :).

I was thinking this thread was rambling on a bit, but it seems right to keep 'the ownership experience' in one place. I'm really pleased you've found it useful!

You're doing exactly what I did, when I migrated from my old Matt Graphite 2016 R - and yes, the scaffolding looks really strange when you put it back.

Enjoy the upgrade process...there's nothing like picking up a new bike and then getting on with making it your own - and don't hesitate to post up any questions that you have along the way.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Possibly one of my smaller changes, but I don't think the original looked right.

Before:

IMG_7740.JPG

After:

IMG_7741.JPG

13. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    spotted it. do i get a prize.?:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    How about a red clutch cable guide?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. SSimon

SSimon New Member

Nov 15, 2018
    London
    MrTriple, just curious: did you put back in the original screws for the pillion pegs? I'll definitely remove the pegs but not keen on leaving the holes exposed, so your solution looks clever.

16. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Without the thickness of the pillion peg brackets, you'll definitely need to buy shorter bolts and perhaps washers to go with them...but that's easy:

M8 x 16mm flanged button head bolts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M8-8mm-F...L-KAYS-/361137933592?var=&hash=item92cbc333f6

M8 Form C washers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORM-C-W...DE-RIM-/150939016233?var=&hash=item68ce53dc40

Here's a close up of my old 2016 R (with the hanger for the Arrow cans):

2017-05-27 18.49.11.jpg
    2017-05-27 18.50.14.jpg

One of the cheaper modifications that you can do :yum

• Like Like x 2
  17. SSimon

SSimon New Member

Nov 15, 2018
    London
    Thank you so much MrTriple! That is a great tip. I just ordered the bolt and washer :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bryan3R

Bryan3R Senior Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Southend, Essex, England
    Ordered some of them too, look better than the non flanged and normal sized washers I was using.

• Like Like x 1
  19. fractaz

fractaz Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    France
    Any upgrades planned for winter mrt ?

20. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #340 MrTriple, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    I'm going to the Motorcycle Live show at the Birmingham NEC on Friday, so that might identify some new mods. I'm hoping for a Wallet Transplant operation on Thursday, so I hope that comes through in time...:p

In the meantime, I've spoken to Hillside about a remap. I learned that fitting a stubby can, will have 'destroyed' the bike's characteristics as there's not enough volume in the system to create the necessary back pressure (or words to that effect). These race-orientated systems are ideal for flat out, straight line, top end power...which isn't so helpful for your average road riding experience.

I personally wouldn't say 'destroyed' - perhaps 'changed' is a better word. We discussed how fitting the baffle helps recoverer some of the characteristics, and interestingly, Hilltop consider their map won't completely cure it, but will make it 60% better (compared to how it rides with the Arrow under-seat cans). More importantly (they said) is it will ensure that it's not running lean and protect the engine from potential damage. They disagreed with Triumph's opinion that the ECU will self-learn and will be fine. Sales talk maybe...but they were very helpful and convincing.

Sending the ECU by post gets you a 96% perfect map...putting it on their dyno and doing some tweaking gets you 99.5% (their estimates). So to answer your question, I'm now considering whether to book a slot before Christmas and send it to them (it's returned next working day), then see how it feels...and perhaps do the 200+ mile round trip to get it tweaked (if necessary) in the Spring.

Last word...it feels great as it is, but I'll never know what an improvement feels like unless I take the plunge o_O

• Like Like x 3