Featured 2018 Speed Triple Rs – Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by MrTriple, Mar 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    That's a worthwhile next test :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Perhaps you could pop in and find out where they are closed until 20 November? ;)

3. fractaz

fractaz Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    France
    looks really awesome mate ! Just received my carbon heat shield and heel guards, can't wait to have them fitted :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Just make sure you share :)

5. fractaz

fractaz Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    France
    I sure will, just need some spare time, probably next week end :) Can't wait ...

6. SpeedRS

SpeedRS New Member

Sep 25, 2018
    France
    Thank you for your quality information!

Make us a video! :)

If I order, this will cost me 820 € :(

How did you do to have the exhaust near the cylinders (collector)
    without trace of heating, ? :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Thank you for appreciating my generally over-detailed posts. I've just not had a chance to try video yet. I did make an audio recording, but it sounded NOTHING (at all) like the real thing, so I'm not going to post it :)

I can't help you with the price - I know it's expensive :weary_face:

I'm sorry but I don't understand your last question about heating - perhaps ask again in French and maybe one of our friends can translate?

8. ellerslie

ellerslie Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Rickmansworth
    Hilltop's claims seem almost too good to be true.

The software learns new mods
    No one can read it or tell it's there.
    And if course, adds power.

Seems too good to be true, or an I being skeptical?

9. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I know. Twice as good at half the price. But they get some excellent reviews on here and throughout the internet. Personally...I know little about them :confused:

10. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    it does all sound good. have seen a few bits on youtube and they do seem to know what they are talking about and have some good equipment. never heard a bad word from anyone who has been there. did see a dyno graph once for a ktm 1290sd when i had one where it didnt seem to look right, but i think i will give them a go though probably not until the new year,:cool:

11. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    i would imagine new bikes now are quite hard to set up top meet euro emissions. is the new speed 4 or 5.? also whether its a misprint but i am sure triumph say in the owners manual 148 hp is achieved on 91 octane fuel..!.if true that sounds very conservative. i always try to use premium fuel which is usually 97 octane i think.:confused:

12. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    maybe a bunch of us should go. have a meet up/coffee and get a (whisper it)discount.?;)

13. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    maybe a bunch of us should go. have a meet up/coffee and get a (whisper it)discount.?;)

14. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Euro 4 I thought....they do recommend a minimum of 91 RON in the manual and Shell V-Power Nitro+ is 99 RON

15. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    crikey 99 ron.!!.thing is i like the idea of a premium fuel because it tends to reduce build up of carbon in the engine but probably wont give much of a power increase on a standard tune unless there is a knock sensor fitted so the engine is run close to optimum/detonation. a ktm 1290 had a build up of carbon on the back of the inlet valves until i religiously ran it on premium which cleared it.

16. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #315 MrTriple, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    I've just been out with the baffle IN...and I like it. Quite a revelation.

She definitely feels more torquey low down - more responsive and instant like her old self. The sound is lovely...kind of loud/normal/acceptable and I get more feel for what's going on through the engine noise, as opposed to her shouting at me (permanently).

Don't get me wrong, the SHOUTING is exciting, but for me, it's baffle out for special occasions I think. Maybe. For now.

So we're talking about a reduction from 104dB to 98dB. I believe that 6dB is the equivalent of halving (or doubling) the sound level. With the baffle out, she's twice as loud then - and it feels and sounds like it.

Here's a visual guide:

The stock Arrow exhaust was like THIS.
    The stock Arrow exhaust with the restrictor caps drilled out was like THIS.
    The AR exhaust with baffle in is like THIS.
    The AR exhaust with baffle out is like THIS.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I have a brand new bike.

Not literally - but the one I have has been transformed.

Firstly, baffle IN is a tremendous success. As already said, the low end torque is back and the power delivery is smooth and feels stronger as you approach the red line. The sound is perfect. I cut 25mm off the end of the baffle as it sticks out too far (I thought it fitted flush) and it looks much better (not sure why it's like it is). I absolutely love it.

Secondly, after a 25 mile cross-country sprint, I visited Simon Watson at Race Engineering in Dunmow for a suspension tune. He suggested 'base-lining' the set up for my weight and riding style (fast road, no track). I know there are some popular places to get this done, but judging by the outcome, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him. Together with the usual wrenches and hex keys, Simon used a tape measure, a notepad, a pencil and a calculator, to support various bouncing the bike activities with me on and off the bike...

...and the ride home felt like I was riding a different bike. I'm staggered at the improvement. It honestly feels half the weight and is exceptionally responsive, turning in tightly with minimal input.

I've gone cold on the Hillside remap idea because it feels fine as it is - but given the results of the suspension tune, I should probably pursue it.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Makes a huge difference getting the suspension set up for rider weight and riding style. Always get mine done after first service as you then know how the bike handles and how much it changes once done.
    Got a email from SC project and they will have some cans by end of Jan time, so I’ll wait for them to see what they’ve got before making my mind up.
    Good job on the suspension and can, looking lovely

• Like Like x 3
  19. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Everyone tells me it's worth doing, but I ignored them until now. After the first service sounds ideal; I now see that it's definitely something to do sooner rather than later.

SC appear to be a little behind their September schedule for releasing something, but it's a good time of year to wait it out and perhaps make your choice for the Spring.

:blush:

image.png

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cupracing

Cupracing Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Berkshire
    Lovely looking exhaust, do you think you would do a Dyno run with it to see if there is a performance increase? If there is, I think it’s worth the premium

• Like Like x 1
  21. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Just ordered a C spanner ... did they give you your settings, static sag and rider sag front and rear plus damping settings? TBH I am pretty happy with my damping settings but would be interested in your numbers . Also, if you don't mind me asking.... what is your weight ?
    Cheers