Featured 2018 Speed Triple Rs – Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by MrTriple, Mar 31, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Hi Mr triple

One of the members has an evotech tail tidy for sale..... it's to fit a 2016+ model...my question is will this fit the new rs?
    Just need to be sure before I purchase it.
    Many Thanks
    Pete

2. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    My dealer swapped mine from my 2017 S model to my RS without a problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Many thanks for your reply mate. :laughing:

4. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #224 MrTriple, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Hi Pete - I transferred mine myself from my 2016 R, so yes it will fit.

Make sure you remove the OEM rubber pad that sits between the tail tidy bracket and the mounting point on the sub frame.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Cupracing

Cupracing Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Berkshire
    Is this to stop the indicators rubbing on the exhaust?

• Like Like x 1
  6. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Exactly for that reason - it's supposed to be discarded, but it's often left in by mistake...including by 'professional' fitters.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mark34

Mark34 Member

Aug 24, 2018
    London
    Hi all - I'm a forum newbie so by way of brief intro - I test rode an RS on the 11th Aug at Ongar M/Cycles, and was thoroughly impressed, I'd been toying with an V4 Tuono, KTM Superduke or an MT10, but the RS ticked all the boxes for me.

I sourced a 2nd hand 1,500 mile black one; drove to Cardiff on the 18th to collect it and set off to France on the 20th August with some mates.

It's been a rapid introduction. I'm just back today after 1,700 miles on some of the best european roads (followed by the horrendous weather here today and the M25).

This really is the bike that has it all. It is everything that I want from a motorcycle. It was a joy in all circumstances.

I joined the forum a couple of days ago and have just read through this thread - much appreciated info MrTriple.

My first priority is to get a little bit more noise, to mirror the sound of the original 955 triples that I recall having a lovely heavy base tone if at all possible. So will be keen to learn of options and whether ARacing have developed anything yet or will do in the near future.

In any case, I'm keen to learn as much as I can.

Cheers all,

Mark

IMG_0648.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  8. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    What a great introduction from you there Mark - and congratulations on your pre-loved (not second-hand) RS. She looks fantastic in the photo :blush:

That's Ongar Triumph in Dunmow (as opposed to being in Ongar)? There's a good tuning place just behind them called Race Engineering. They do a reasonably priced suspension tune, together with dyno stuff and they're also a good source for Evotech.

I spoke to Rich Austin at AR last week - he said it was OK to mention that they are definitely working on something, potentially over the next four weeks. I believe there will be two styles, both slip-on - a low version which will undoubtedly look amazing...but also the high RS22 twin version (as per the KTM Superduke 1290 and Duke 790).

I'm 95% certain I'll order the RS22 - which I'd guess will only need to attach to the upper mounting bracket near the rear shock and the lower bracket under the frame, leaving clean space around their fabulous stubby under-seat cans (this is just my interpretation of what they are likely to do).

The 5% doubt, is around the fact they're pretty extreme...and LOUD. It might 'ruin' the character of the Speed Triple, which I've grown to really like. Riding behind my son's Daytona or MT-10 (both with baffles-out AR exhausts) makes my head buzz. But they sound so good :yum

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mark34

Mark34 Member

Aug 24, 2018
    London
    Yes indeed, it was at Ongar Motorcycles in Dunmow. Unfortunately they didn't have any pre-owned RSs in stock and I would have to wait until September for a new one, hence how I ended up on a drive over to Cardiff to buy the one I have now; but it was worth it :).

Thanks for the info, Dunmow isn't far from me and I'm after a Evotech tail tidy as well, so I'll get in touch with them.

Encouraging news re the AR exhausts, so I'll wait to hear further about them.

Thanks again,

Mark

10. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
  11. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
  12. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
  13. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Nice styling....

.[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  14. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    I think I definitely prefer the low boy option as it just looks so cool! But I’m not sure about that style. The above baked bean tin (other food tins are available) is quite accurate!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    had the arrow low boy on my 2012 speed r. like the look of the standard cans on my 2018 s and was adamant they were staying.not keen on really loud exhausts but maybe 97db with the v3 wont be so bad.they look good and what a weight saving.! decision time x2.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    think that will be my new screen saver pic.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  17. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I can do you one at half the price only £299.50!
    You will need to make your own fitting kit and remove the Heinz label though.....
    :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    No I would leave the label.....heinz racing all the way. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ellerslie

ellerslie Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Rickmansworth
    I like the AR cans. Nothing wrong with them and they make the bike look less bulbous and top heavy at the rear

20. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    The build quality is superb and I think the simplicity will suit the bike. I've always been a fan of the twin under-seat Arrows as they define how the bike should look...however...I'm up for a change now.

So, ignoring the opinion of those that think it looks like a tin can :p, I ordered one last week. I've gone for the 170mm GP3 in titanium, with a black ceramic GP1R tip and laser-etched logo (which looks more subtle than the regular AR sticker). It should look like this:

GP1R BLACK TIP WITH TITANIUM CAN. ETCHED.jpg
    Clean lines :yum

• Like Like x 3