Featured Touring 1st Annual? Scotland Road Trip 13th-18th May 2018

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Dougie D, Jan 20, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Cheers for the pointer Jez.

I've got to do something about it,
    I keep falling into a Korma !

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  2. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    That sounds good. I've got loads of time on the Sunday so I will consider that, thanks.

3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I should add I am a dozen or so miles North of Moffat myself and just regretful that domesticity got in the way of me also joining you all. Besides I will be freshly skint from my daughter’s wedding.....:D

4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I threw in ‘skint’ for your benefit ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Your grammar seems fine; your syntax not so much! ‘Skint’ is simply vernacular and an assessment of my current means - not yours. Sometimes poncey English requires le mot juste, n’est ce pas?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Drove up to Dunoon last summer with SWMBO and stopped at the Balmoral both ways for lunch. Highly recommended. Not Michelin starred but good wholesome food at decent prices. IIRC .... syrup sponge and custard!!!!!:yum:yum:yum

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Midlothian
    Callumity said:
    Have you chosen your route from Moffat to Tyndrum? The M74 to Glasgow and up the side of Loch Lomond is the most direct but pretty boring. Conversely the 701 from Moffat to Edinburgh is a popular bike route that gives you a run up the M9 to Stirling then sweeping bends all the way through to Tyndrum.

I will be going up on the Sunday too and are welcome to join me on the way to Tyndrum, if you choose this route. I live very near the A701 where it approaches Edinburgh and will be uasing it on the day!

• Like Like x 1
  8. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Yes, that sounds good. What time of day are you thinking of setting off ?

9. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Midlothian
    Hi Andy'
    It's roughly a two hour trip from where I am,to Tyndrum, so depending on when you leave Moffat (it's about an hour to Lothianburn.) Say about mid day... ish, no rush!
    I have posted a link below.The switch to the A702 will take you direct to the meeting point.

https://goo.gl/maps/BDyeAJjhu792

10. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Ok, so I was planning an easy Sunday morning leaving Moffat about 11:00am, taking it easy. If it takes about an hour I'll see you about 12:00 or just after at the Esso station. I'll pm you my mobile number.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i thought this might be a good run on the Monday night when we are at Corran before we head out for something to eat ..a wee short 8 mile run up to Fort William then a 5 mile run on this road that takes you to the bottom of Ben Nevis.:cool:
    ben nevis rd.PNG

ben nevis map.PNG

On the Tuesday we should arrive on Skye in the afternoon so i thought if we wern't too late we could dump our baggage off at the bunkhouse and either have a run up to Portree and back (65 mile) or do the full loop (100 mile) or the 1/2 loop (80 miles)

portree.PNG

skye 1.PNG

skye 2.PNG

• Like Like x 3
  12. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Midlothian
    Couple of good runs there Dougie, The full loop would be nice as long as the customary rain stays away;) Uig is as far as I've been, so it would be good to explore a bit more:sun::sun::sun:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    yeah the full loop would be my choice:),it would be a shame for some of the guys who have never been to skye if we were not to do at least a bit of it, i was going to include the Uig loop but that takes it to almost 150 miles

14. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Midlothian
    It's fine as it is mate, looking forward to the trip.......well organised:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Jockstew

Jockstew Active Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Bridge of Weir Scotland
    Just seen your question Dougie haven’t done a thing about campsites yet,but have bought a new tent,sleeping bag,mat,stove,and ceramic mug.considering my bike is still out of action from my fall I think I’m being very optimistic I’ve replaced all the parts I broke and although all the electrics seem to be working bikes not turning over also can’t get to neutral,going into mechanics on Tuesday so still hoping to make it

16. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Good luck getting the bike fixed..didn't realise you had an accident with it,hope you were OK.be good if you can make it ..let me know how you get on with the mechanic on tuesday

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. andypandy

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Dougie, I notice that on Monday we pass through Inveraray. There used to be a fantastic whiskey shop there. Old wooden floors, lots of wood shelving and hundreds and hundreds of whiskies. Perhaps if it's still there we could have a quick stop ? I'm bound to have room for a couple of bottles.

• Like Like x 1
  18. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Aaaaaah!!! I want to join you!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Sounds good to me Andy:cool:

20. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #160 Sprinter, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    These posts are just all copied to the last page so you dont have to read through 10 pages to find the important stuff, Credit Doug, as we all know.

On the Tuesday we should arrive on Skye in the afternoon so i thought if we wern't too late we could dump our baggage off at the bunkhouse and either have a run up to Portree and back (65 mile) or do the full loop (100 mile) or the 1/2 loop (80 miles)

View attachment 25439

View attachment 25440

View attachment 25441 [/QUOTE]

The road from Dunvegan Castle to Kyleakin was breathtaking last year in 25`c temps and briliant sunshine

• Like Like x 3