Featured 1977 T140 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Jim Hargreaves, Jan 2, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim Hargreaves

Jim Hargreaves Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies and info chaps
    I have already got myself the drive unit and I’m going to see how it all goes together in the crank case tomorrow
    Cheers

2. Jim Hargreaves

Finally managed to get some work done on the bike and picked up my barrels which had to be rebored to plus 40 the guy I used has done a great job £50.
    Just spent a couple of hours repairing the frame where to bike had been crashed at some point. Going to drop it off at the powder coasters on Monday

3. Jim Hargreaves

upload_2021-2-19_19-18-6.jpeg upload_2021-2-19_19-18-6.jpeg upload_2021-2-19_19-18-6.jpeg upload_2021-2-19_19-18-6.jpeg upload_2021-2-19_19-18-6.jpeg upload_2021-2-19_19-18-6.jpeg upload_2021-2-19_19-18-6.jpeg upload_2021-2-19_19-18-6.jpeg upload_2021-2-19_19-18-6.jpeg

I still can’t get the hang of this site some photos to add to the previous post

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jim Hargreaves

Has anyone replaced their valve guides just a question do I need the old ones out first then measure the hole or can I go ahead and order standard guides only because I haven’t got anything to measure them with so I would have to take the head somewhere for measuring

5. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK

If the std phosphor bronze type they should be a std interference fit and all the same size some may require internal reaming for the correct valve to guide clearance and some not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Iron

Iron Guest

Jim, make sure the guides haven't got any carbon on them as it'll scratch the bore as you take the guides out. Boil the head (it needs to be 100 degrees C) or get permission to heat it up in the oven as it gets a bit smelly. Then knock the guides out with a drift. You can buy a special tool or make up your own.
    The new guides will need to be an interference fit so get the holes or assuming the existing guides are a good fit measured, or both. Order up your new guides for inlet and exhaust at the size needed.
    Heat up your head, freeze the guides and hammer them in. You should pull them in using the special puller from the valve side as it pulls them square but I bash 'em in with a large hammer and a made up drift.
    Have a look here for the cheapskate method that I use:

Take some photos as you do it, will be a good reference as I haven't got any to do in the forseeable.

Nice welding by the way :blush:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jim Hargreaves

Cheers iron thanks for the tips
    Home made drift looks like just the ticket I’ll have to see what I’ve got knocking about

• Like Like x 1
  8. Iron

Iron Guest

Jim, hoping all is well. How's it coming along? Painted yet?