Featured 1977 T140 Rebuild

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Jim Hargreaves, Jan 2, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim Hargreaves

Jim Hargreaves Well-Known Member

I removed the gearbox inner cover and there was a thrust washer between casing and the driving dog on the lay shaft but I looked at the parts catalogue and it shows 2 washers can any one confirm this. The washer I have looks like bronze with small groves I’m thinking there could be a very thin washer also ???

upload_2021-1-12_15-3-4.jpeg

upload_2021-1-12_15-0-42.jpeg

upload_2021-1-12_15-2-27.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jim Hargreaves

While am at it picking everyone’s brains there is a bush in the end of the gearbox main shaft that’s the clutch rod passes through. The thing is there must be 1/16 “ of play between the inside of the bush and the rod, I’m assuming it should be reasonably snug fit and if I need to change it has anyone ever done one.
    upload_2021-1-12_15-17-21.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Iron

Iron Guest

Jim
    There's a thrust washer at each end of the layshaft - only one each side - the grooves go against the case, you'll need to use some grease to hold the far one in when you are rebuilding the gearbox - the earlier parts catalogues show both needle bearings as well as the thrust washers so it's a bit easier to see:

thrust washers.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Iron

Iron Guest

Jim
    John (lunmad) has done this on one of his videos
    https://www.youtube.com/user/lunmad
    You'll have to have a search through to find it, but as your push rod isn't flapping about I shouldn't worry too much. Check that the pushrod isn't mushroomed at the end and you should be fine.

By the way - when you rebuild the gearbox - don't do it the way the workshop manual suggests as you'll go mad trying to grow extra fingers and hands. Use this video, it's for a triple, but they are the same when putting back together. The method has saved many a layshaft from being slung through the window :D the gearbox rebuild bit starts at 2.10.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Groves face away from the case i think you meant to say aiding oil flow to the reciprocating parts :)

• Like Like x 3
  6. Iron

Iron Guest

Ooops sorry, yes :blush: damn, mumble mumble.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Jim Hargreaves

Thanks for that I’m only just getting used to the triumph parts catalogues and manuals, I understand now one each end

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jim Hargreaves

Right chaps just so I know, (you’ve got to remember I’m a bit of a novice ) the grove face the dog not the case

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  9. Jim Hargreaves

Thanks a lot mate great info

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jim Hargreaves

Groove

• Like Like x 1
  11. Iron

Iron Guest

#51 Iron, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2021
    Yep, grooved face to the dog NOT to the case. :blush:

It was really difficult to produce the parts catalogues as they could only show each part once. However, for some reason, I know not why (although I think I do), the parts catalogues, workshop manuals, haynes manuals, engine finishes, etc, weren't as good in the 70s.

Remember, we are EXPERTS, not just enthusiasts - check the attached:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jim Hargreaves

Ha ha ha love it

13. Jim Hargreaves

Hi
    I haven’t been able to get much done lately but I’ve just been looking at installing the tachometer drive plug into the exhaust cam shaft but when I got hold of the cam there is nowhere to put it. The engine came without a tacho drive just a cap in its place and when I stripped it I didn’t think about looking at the end of the cam I just went ahead and got the drive plug and tacho drive now I’m stumped. Can anybody point me in the right direction
    Thanks
    upload_2021-2-5_17-10-31.png
    upload_2021-2-5_17-11-39.jpeg
    upload_2021-2-5_17-12-36.jpeg

14. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    I think your doing great, with the help if darkman and iron its looking good all round info and then practise, great special tool making also, well done keep up the great work Jim

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jim Hargreaves

Thanks I’m trying my best no massive balls ups yet but I’m starting to put the bike back together now so I’m sure something will go south at some point I’m just glad I’m on the forum at least I know where to get some good advice

16. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Gotta agree you seem to have the best two guys on here at your disposal and the fact there checking each others advice is great ;) and will work to your advantage I'm sure, Steady Ahead Jim:D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jim Hargreaves

Just want to pick your brains for a minute I’m not very good working my way around the forum is it best starting a new thread or carrying on with this one for people to see it if I want help

18. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    #58 TEZ 217, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    I would advise stick to this one Jim, most on here read through each one eventually :D

Then again if you feel you need a certain kind of advice then that's ok too just give a shout out on another thread, we don't have any set rules at all just feel your way through the forum and when you need a break look at the this made me laugh thread and relax :D

• Like Like x 1
  19. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    The drive plug 36 is for the earlier bikes with a bigger hole and a thread in the end of the camshaft that the plug screws into, never having done much with the later cams i can only assume the rev counter drive would fit the later cam as is.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Iron

Iron Guest

Those rev counter drive plugs are shown on all the parts catalogues from 1969 onwards. It may be from the Trophy pre Tiger days when some of the TR6 models didn't have a rev counter drive, only a speedo.
    I assume you bought it because it was in the parts catalogue rather than having taken it out when disassembling. If so, then stick it in the parts drawer so you can find it in a few years and wonder what it is.
    Doesn't look like your bike had a drive in it - probably just a left handed plug. If you need a rev counter drive, let me know, I'm pretty sure I have a few laying around as they are quite expensive.
    Keep up the good work.

• Like Like x 1